And Then It Hits You

by Kim on July 12, 2016 · 25 comments

Shenandoah National Park

We just got back from a week in Virginia’s Shenandoah National Park.

It was a lovely time. We camped and hiked, spent all day outside and all evening around the campfire with friends and family. We hit the pause button on daily life and refilled our hoppers with some much-needed time in the outdoors.

While out hiking one day, Brian looked at me and said, “I feel like myself again.” And somewhere deep inside of me, something shifted. For the last year we’ve been scanning the horizon like a lighthouse beacon, searching for what comes next and now, suddenly, it seems so clear. (I’ll tell you once we gather our bearings and fully formulate The Plan).

There’s a lesson in all of this. It has something to do with watching the sunset and counting the stars; Of lying awake in the silent stillness past 3 a.m., gathering the courage to be bold again. Brian tells me, “There are no straight lines in nature, we’ll get there.” But here’s what hit me as I lay in our tent one night:

The moon never waivers in her rising, so why should I?

Onward…

National parks passport

Shenandoah National park

Shenandoah National Park

Shenandoah National Park

Shenandoah National Park

Shenandoah National Park

Shenandoah National Park

Shenandoah National Park

Shenandoah National Park

crystal July 12, 2016 at 2:20 pm

you daughter is a cutie ! Love your post and photos !

Kim July 14, 2016 at 7:17 am

Thanks Crystal. We think she’s pretty cute 😉

allmyprettyones July 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Dying to know what the plan is!!!
allmyprettyones recently posted..we still have so many adventures planned!

Kim July 14, 2016 at 7:17 am

I’m just so happy that there finally IS one. I’ll share it when I can!!!

motowngirl July 13, 2016 at 7:40 am

Such a cute family! Can’t wait to hear about the next adventure! Thanks Kim.

Kim July 14, 2016 at 7:18 am

Thank you 🙂 And I can’t wait for the next adventure.

Mari July 13, 2016 at 11:03 am

Sometimes I feel such strong connection and some kind of “sisterhood” with you that it just blows my mind and moves me to the core. This post brought that feeling up, again. Thank you for this post and for existing and writing.

Kim July 14, 2016 at 7:19 am

Thank you for your kind words and for reading. I, too, feel such sisterhood with so many of you. This community has made me strong and grateful and I don’t know what I’d do without it.

Rhonda July 13, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Omg Kim “Of lying awake in the silent stillness past 3 a.m., gathering the courage to be bold again.” nearly brought me to tears! We are having SUCH a challenge this last couple of weeks with launching the amazon product and getting few sales so far and with moving hosting sites but messing up the first one and feeling frustrated that we don’t have enough knowledge and of sending pitch after pitch and getting so little in response. We started to question this path we’re on, question if we’re doing the right thing, hell… question everything! There are no straight lines in nature.. oh dear Brian, thank you for a 2nd valuable quote in this short blog post. We are now focusing on the quality of our day to day, on embracing doing yoga together most mornings, working harder towards our goal so we can make this lifestyle permanent.. and working past all of the many, many fears that keep us awake at 3am, to try to be bold. Thank you as always for being such inspirational friends to us! (and it’s interesting that Brian said he felt like himself again… Jim had a particularly tough work life before we went off on our last RTW and it wasn’t until about 3 months into the trip when he suddenly turned to me and said the exact same thing… it’s so important to stay true to your soul). Can’t wait for the details on the next adventure 😉
Rhonda recently posted..Eating Puerto Vallarta on a Budget

Kim July 14, 2016 at 7:25 am

Oh lady, I feel you!! There really are no straight lines. I think so much of it is just trying many different things until something sticks. Brian and I were talking the other day about how scary it is to leap into the unknown (again!) but this time as parents (OMG, OMG) but then we were like, you know, it’s just life. IT’S JUST LIFE. Like, why in the HELL does everyone take it so damn seriously? If this next thing isn’t what we want it to be we will move on- the possibilities are infinite.

Ali July 14, 2016 at 11:33 am

Such a tease! 😉 Seriously though, I’m so glad you guys are formulating a plan, a next step, and I’m so excited to hear what it is! (Also, your daughter is so cute!)
Ali recently posted..3 Days in Prague: An Itinerary

Kim July 17, 2016 at 7:19 am

I didn’t mean to be a tease! I just need to start putting that energy out there so that I can gather my courage and move forward… while at the same time not being quite ready to throw it all out there yet. Getting there…

Renee July 16, 2016 at 7:58 am

My gosh, your daughter is so adorable, and she seems like such a happy baby! I love the family photos of you all out and about and exploring things. Can’t wait to hear about what yours and Brian’s new plan is, but I can take a reasonably educated guess, lol.

Kim July 17, 2016 at 7:20 am

Thanks Renee 🙂 I want to know what your guess is!!

Karl July 19, 2016 at 7:57 am

Beautiful pictures!

Sara July 22, 2016 at 8:16 am

Hi it is my first time here, I just want to know what happened with the dogs. I am studying abroad soon and have the same feelings as in your post about hard it was to leave them.

Kim July 25, 2016 at 6:13 am

Hi Sara. The dogs had a wonderful time with their grandparents. They have since passed on, but they adjusted quite well to their loving home while we were gone and when we got back they were SO HAPPY to see us!

Jen July 22, 2016 at 10:40 am

Needed this today… Thanks. 🙂 Looking forward to hearing about the plan!
Jen recently posted..ExplOregon: waterfalls!

Kim July 25, 2016 at 6:11 am

Thanks Jen 🙂

sheiladearden July 22, 2016 at 2:23 pm

I just came across your beautiful blog & I’m so glad I did! I find myself reading it & muttering…wow! Yes! Really! Exactly! That’s just how I feel! So much resonates with where I am right now & I want to thank you for your inspiration! I’ve been a teacher for most of my life until one day I realized it was something I was no longer called to do. Writing and the power of story has always been central to my life so I recently started my own blog, as a place to write (and where my writing self can try to convince my teaching self, grieving over the loss of a regular pay check, that there is hope!) I love your last line in this post “The moon never waivers in her rising, so why should I?” I’m reminded of something I just read by Mary Anne Radmacher…A bird never asks,”Am I flying correctly?” So here’s to never wavering & taking flight in whichever way we choose!
sheiladearden recently posted..Mt. Adams: How To Bobsled Without A Bobsled.

Kim July 25, 2016 at 6:11 am

Hello and congratulations on starting your blog!!! My blog has been a powerful place of community where I come to gather courage from amazing people from all over the world- I hope yours will do the same for you (it takes a little time for your people to find you, and vice versa, but they will). I love that quote from Mary Anne Radmacher- here’s to flying!!

Lynn August 15, 2016 at 11:42 am

Can’t wait to live vicariously through your next adventure! Build happy memories.
Lynn recently posted..You’re Not Too Old For This Shit

Kim August 23, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Thanks Lynne!! 🙂

Amy August 27, 2016 at 1:54 am

Intriguing! I can’t wait to hear what you have in store, but I’m guessing it involves the mountains?
Amy recently posted..Moving to Chiang Mai, Week One in Thailand

Kim August 27, 2016 at 1:09 pm

It definitely involves the mountains!