Meet Victoria from Bridges and Balloons

by Kim on September 8, 2015 · 25 comments

Kim’s note: As I sit here impatiently waiting for this baby to arrive (she’s due in five days, no sign yet) I’m happy to introduce you to Victoria over at Bridges and Balloons, one of my favorite blogs about life, love and travel. Just like Brian and I, Victoria and her new husband Steve have recently returned home. I asked her for her perspective on three years of travel and what comes next.

Three years ago, I sat in this house, plane tickets in hand, dreaming about what came next. My mind was filled with mountains, jungles, and the sounds of foreign words. I craved adventure, difference and discovery. I wanted to swim in the lessons of travel and come out clearer on the other side.  I was searching for my truth.

Bridges and Balloons Victoria

Victoria in her London house getting ready for her adventure.

Up until that point, life had been linear. Schools, exams, gap year, university, internships, grad school, a graduate scheme, and eventually a job I’d always dreamed of. My eye was always on the “what next?” and the path was nicely trodden. All I had to do was work hard. But then “destination career” turned out not to be the life I longed for, and there was no road map for what came next. It was time to freestyle and find my own path.

Travel was my answer. My boyfriend and I packed up our home and flew one-way to Rio. Steve had a job he could do on the road, making films and building a start-up. My plan was to take some time, and allow my path to unfold. I wanted to relax, mull and unwind then get going on whatever felt right. I imagined that time would bring answers – that there was a truth or passion to be found along the way. I just had to allow the answers to surface.

Three years passed along paths wide and varied. I wasn’t suited to aimless days and found projects to take my time. A hobby blog became a full-time pursuit; I started work on a few different businesses; I taught yoga; nearly bought some land and built a retreat; dabbled in building websites; drove myself mad by experimenting with different therapies; and continually asked: “Is this it?” I toyed with different ideas and at times each one seemed right, but doubts would always surface. Choice, although a luxury, can also be debilitating.

Bridges and Balloons Victoria

Victoria exploring in Argentina

Eventually one thing was clear. Both Steve and I wanted a base – somewhere to return to and call home. Wanderlust lives in us, but (as Kim said quite recently) like birds we needed a nest. We circled around possibilities – from Mexico to Bali to Berlin until finally London called us back. It’s where our friends and family are, and, for us, that makes a home.

So that’s where I am right now – sitting in Peckham in the exact house I left three years ago. And I’m still dreaming about what comes next. In the time I’ve been away, friends have become established in their careers. They’ve progressed in a way our society values. To many I may seem like a drifter. I barely make enough money to get by, I “gallivant” from place to place, and I dither around different careers. I’m not what you’d call “sorted”.

On bad days this feels like failure. On good days it feels brave. The past few years have been rich with experience and lessons. I’ve seen the jungles and mountains I dreamed of, and made new friends from lands afar. I’m learning the patterns that trip me up and the qualities I can leave behind. Slowly, I’m finding my way. And while this journey is convoluted, for me it’s better than “making do”.

I don’t have neat little answers. I haven’t yet uncovered my passion, “found myself”, or discovered the keys to all that makes me happy. Perhaps it’s a symptom of the old adage: “The more you know, the less you understand”. But one thing is for sure. If I could speak to that girl sitting on the sofa three years ago, and she asked me “Should I go?”. My answer would be to smile and say yes. While she may not find all her answers as quickly as she might like, it’ll be a step without regret. There will be ups and there will downs, moments of clarity, disillusionment, joy, sadness and doubt. But the exploration will be worth every moment.

As someone smart once said: “The journey is the destination.”

Victoria Bridges and Balloons

Bridges and Balloons at her website, Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram.

Michelle September 8, 2015 at 11:53 am

So much raw honesty and truth, beautifully written.
Michelle recently posted..Lessons Learned from Living on an Island

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:05 am

Thank you for such a lovely compliment Michelle.
Victoria recently posted..Where do travel bloggers go on their honeymoon?

Golan Perry September 23, 2015 at 9:59 am

Hello,
My name is Golan Perry and I am currently running a KickStarter campaign
called Horn & Purveyor that is for a backpack that charges any electronic device.
I am writing you to ask if you could please share my project on your blog or share
 it with your audience because its innovative, smart, earth friendly and can possibly
save lives in wilderness or emergency situations. The link to the KickStarter is:

By backing Horn & Purveyor, you will not only be helping us meet our goal. But you will also be making history. We at Horn & Purveyor are the first e-backpack company in Philadelphia, PA USA that will donate backpacks to children throughout the city to make an impact on the way that children stay connected. Your backing will also help stimulate the economy because we are proud to use 100% U.S.A. labor. Your backpack will be designed, manufactured, quality controlled and shipped directly from Philadelphia, PA.
Horn & Purveyor Backpacks are made with water resistant environment friendly materials that are durable and made to last a lifetime. Every backpack comes with a built-in hand fob that has a high output LED light and a USB charging port. Once you charge your hand fob your backpack will have hours of stand-by power that will keep any electronic device charged for hours.
Horn & Purveyor is an innovator of modern and durable goods that are made with the environment in mind. We stand by every product made and ensure that everything that bears our signature woven patch is quality controlled to the utmost standards. Organic fibers, soft to the touch materials & original designs are just some of the major attributes of Horn & Purveyor which places us as a forerunner in the modern age of wearable technology. We passion ourselves on making life lasting products & thank you for your interest and patronage with Horn & Purveyor.
Never will you have a dead electronic device under the watch of Horn & Purveyor. Designed & Crafted in the Untied States of America.

Golan Perry – Inventor
Amber Taylor – Project Creator
David Katz – Legal Partner

Rhonda September 8, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Love Bridges and Balloons! What a wonderfully expressed piece by Victoria. Interesting how so many of us drawn to the same life have all of the same questions which, although not necessarily answered by travel, are all made more clear through the adventure.
Rhonda recently posted..Finding Balance

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:06 am

Thanks Rhonda. It’s so true that it’s sometimes the questions rather than the answers that become clearer through travel!
Victoria recently posted..Sculpture by the Sea, Aarhus: in photos

Golan Perry September 23, 2015 at 10:36 am

Hello,
My name is Golan Perry and I am currently running a KickStarter campaign

Golan Perry – Inventor
Amber Taylor – Project Creator
David Katz – Legal Partner

Laura // Roam Far and Wide September 8, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Great post. There is so much here I can relate to. I am also feeling the need for a nest, also haven’t found myself, and also don’t have the answers but do have a lot of new questions. Glad to know I’m not alone!
Laura // Roam Far and Wide recently posted..European Peace Walk: Day 8: Koszeg, Hungary to Narda, Hungary

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:07 am

Thanks Laura. It’s good to know I’m not alone either!
Victoria recently posted..Your rainbow panorama

Flora September 9, 2015 at 12:45 am

Beautiful! Always lovely to hear Victoria’s words 🙂 Best of luck with your baby!!
Flora recently posted..Of Rivers and Oceans: an Ode to the Filipino Boat

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:07 am

Aw, thank you Flora 🙂
Victoria recently posted..A city break to Aarhus in photos

Golan Perry September 23, 2015 at 10:36 am

Hello,
My name is Golan Perry and I am currently running a KickStarter campaign

Golan Perry – Inventor
Amber Taylor – Project Creator
David Katz – Legal Partner

Ashley September 9, 2015 at 11:54 am

My journey, thoughts, feelings & heart were just spilled out onto the page. Somehow Victoria, you were able to capture exactly how I’m feeling. But you were able to articulate it much better than I ever could. Reading it, really understanding it, getting it out makes me feel much better. Thank you.
Ashley recently posted..Road Tripping the California Coast

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:08 am

Thank you so much Ashley. I’m so pleased to hear this piece was useful to you. It’s really wonderful for me know it resonates with other people. Good luck on your journey too!
Victoria recently posted..Sculpture by the Sea, Aarhus: in photos

Lisa Hoashi September 10, 2015 at 1:06 am

Really enjoy this beautiful and reflective piece. It reminded me that each traveler’s journey is so incredibly unique.

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:10 am

Thanks Lisa. And yes, journeys are so unique! I guess the problem comes when we start comparing (something I am guilty of all the time!). I always try to remind myself of one of my favourite quotes: “Comparison is the thief of joy”.
Victoria recently posted..Sculpture by the Sea, Aarhus: in photos

Amy September 10, 2015 at 4:43 am

Oh boy, I can certainly relate to the feeling that travel often raises more questions than answers. It often seemed that other travelers had these big ephiphanies while I did not, although I am certain that travel has expanded my mind and life in ways that never would have happened sitting at home. p.s. I’m super excited to take off from nest to fly to London for the first time – two weeks and one day!!!
Amy recently posted..Two Years

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:11 am

Thanks Amy! And enjoy London. It’s my home, so do let me know if you want any tips.
Victoria recently posted..Best vegetarian restaurants in Ubud

Carmel September 10, 2015 at 11:02 am

That’s absolutely lovely. And I can completely relate. I think in the beginning of our trip I somehow thought I would “find myself” – whatever that meant. I came to just appreciate the experience and the lessons are still unfolding even a year after we’ve returned. With long-term travel, it seems like you can’t really absorb it all while it’s happening. It’ll be interesting to see what happens as time passes after her 3 years of travel. Life is such an interesting experiment.
Carmel recently posted..WHEN THINGS DON’T GO AS PLANNED

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:12 am

Thank you Carmel. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next too!
Victoria recently posted..Instagramming New York

Kristine September 13, 2015 at 8:40 pm

What a beautifully written post. I loved the sentence about “gallivanting” from place to place. I’ve had this said to me so many times and just because we choose a life that might be different from regular societal norms it doesn’t mean that every day is a picnic! I also loved the line “I wanted to swim in the lessons of travel and come out clearer on the other side. I was searching for my truth.” What an amazing description- this really resonated with me. I look forward to reading more!
Kristine recently posted..Why I love Travel…..

Victoria September 21, 2015 at 11:13 am

Thank you so much for such kind words, Kristine. It means a lot.
Victoria recently posted..Sculpture by the Sea, Aarhus: in photos

Golan Perry September 23, 2015 at 10:39 am

Hello,
My name is Golan Perry and I am currently running a KickStarter campaign

Golan Perry – Inventor
Amber Taylor – Project Creator
David Katz – Legal Partner

Amy September 23, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Thanks for introducing me to Victoria’s amazing blog! I feel the same when I go home to ‘visit’ London and all my friends and family are moving steadily through the accepted milestones of life.
Amy recently posted..How we can afford to travel full time

Victoria November 3, 2015 at 1:47 am

Thanks Amy 🙂
Victoria recently posted..Special Stays: Makanyi Safari Lodge, South Africa

lony angel November 2, 2015 at 10:40 pm

It was really a nice article and thanks for sharing it.
lony angel recently posted..Top 10 Department Stores in London