Our new home: The SylvanSport GO camping trailer

by Kim on May 12, 2014 · 50 comments

Hey, looked what we picked up in Atlanta, Georgia:

Sylvan Sport GO

Nope, not a bi-level house with brown shutters.

We are the proud new (albeit temporary) owners of a SylvanSport GO camping trailer because SylvanSport signed on as a sponsor of the Get Out More Tour. Yay!!!

This little trailer is amazing. So let me show you how it works.

First of all, it only weighs 840 pounds. It can be towed by almost any sedan, including a Prius. When it is in travel-mode it looks like this:

Sylvan Sport GO

National Geographic Adventure called it the coolest camper ever.

Sylvan Sport GO

You can pop the top up and store bikes, kayaks, stand up paddle boards or any of your other gear in the utility trailer bed (those fold out sides you see in the photo below will lock straight up to create a gear-storage cage). You can also store gear on top of the trailer on the camper pod.

Sylvan Sport GO

To set up the camper, you just pull a handle on the little gray camper pod up top and the tent comes out:

Sylvan Sport GO

Then all you’ve got to do is insert the tent poles:

Sylvan Sport GO

And you’ve got a little camper on wheels! It takes us about 10 minutes to set up now but I bet we’ll get even faster as time goes on.

Sylvan Sport GO

There’s a large vestibule you can attach to the door of the trailer to create a shaded area:

Sylvan Sport GO

And, of course, there’s a ton of room inside! You can see our beds on each side of the camper. There’s also a piece that folds down in the middle that will create a king-and-a-half size bed or a table. That piece is on back-order at the moment, so we are waiting patiently until it arrives.

Sylvan Sport GO

As Brian says, home is the place you hang your prayer flags.

Sylvan Sport GO

Then again, I’ve always said that home is the place I store my books.

Here are some specs on the SylvanSport GO trailer:

Weight: 840 lbs.

Can be towed behind virtually any vehicle.

Interior floor dimensions: 48 x 84 inches

Standing height: 77 inches

Cargo capacity (deck): 800 lbs.

Cargo capacity (upper racks) 200 lbs.

Ground clearance: 13.5 inches

Cost: $8,495

Pretty cool, huh?

Beverley, Pack Your Passport May 12, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Oh Kim this looks amazing! I mean, I know you guys were enjoying being in your tent but sleeping off the ground and having a bit more room is awesome :) So pleased for you.
Beverley, Pack Your Passport recently posted..Where to Eat in Seattle

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:03 am

Thanks Beverley!! Yes, it is so nice to be up off the ground. And I love the two big mesh windows on each side of the camper. I wake up staring directly into the forest. It is PERFECT.

Jade May 12, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Pretty cool? It’s the coolest thing I’ve ever seen! Looks so homey with the prayer flags

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:03 am

We just added some colorful rugs on the ground too. A little home on wheels :)

Candace May 12, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Just when your current adventure couldn’t get any cooler :) And of course, you know how happy the prayer flags make my heart. Thanks for the peek inside your new home! xo
Candace recently posted..Notes on walking in the dark.

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:04 am

The funny thing is, we packed those prayer flags just *hoping* we would find someplace to hang them along the way. And we did :)

Terry P May 12, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Makes me wanna trade in my big ol’ gas-guzzling RV for one of these! Absolutely adorable!

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:04 am

It would be a fun little camper for the grandkids!

Ben Miller May 12, 2014 at 5:35 pm

That is sweet. $8,500 is still a little steep if you’re a weekend warrior.

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:06 am

It’s funny because some people (those that own RV’s usually) are like: great deal! and other people (those that have tents, usually) are like: that’s a lot! The real benefit is that it also doubles as a cargo trailer so you can haul everything you could ever want to play with outdoors. It really is mobile adventure gear.

canyon coolers May 12, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Sweet trailer, the lines are great. Moabaz makes a cheaper burlier trailer but its not going to be towed by any Prius.

You folks heading to Overland Expo?

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:06 am

Hi Jason, we are not heading to Overland Expo but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Patti May 12, 2014 at 7:04 pm

It must be nice to be up off of the ground?! ;)
Patti recently posted..When Mother’s Day Rolls Around ~

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:06 am

Yes, very nice. The camp cots kept us off the ground too but this is much, much higher ;)

Tracey May 12, 2014 at 7:07 pm

This looks amazing!!! Rob and I considered a roof top tent for our truck when we were first planning our travels. Some things happened to change our travel plans and we shelved the roof top tent idea. Now that we are on the road and I am following you and Brian on you backpacking adventure part of me wishes we had followed through with driving. The SylvanSport Trailer looks awesome:)
Tracey recently posted..Why One Of Thailand’s Celebrated Religious Art Offerings May Be Closed Forever

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:08 am

Hey, you’ve got the rest of your life to drive a camper around the U.S. How are things going so far? I need to pop over to the blog and see how it is going!

Tracey May 13, 2014 at 9:49 am

Things are hecktic and we love it! We have just settled down in a rental apartment in Barranquilla, Colombia. Now we’ll have more time to plan our next move. I will be revisiting your South America posts to get ideas:)
Tracey recently posted..Rental in Barranquilla: We found one, How We Thought We Wouldn’t

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Ah, it is so smart to settle down in an apartment and chill for awhile. How is Columbia? I’m sad we didn’t go because I hear it is amazing.

Franca May 13, 2014 at 12:43 am

I loved it! It is a great alternative to the usual tent, so cool! Looking forward to know more about and how you guys get on with it on your trip :)
Franca recently posted..Sacrifices We’ve Made To Save For Our Travels

Kim May 13, 2014 at 6:08 am

Thanks Franca. So far we are loving it too!!

Carina May 13, 2014 at 6:10 am

So you have to sleep separately? That takes all the fun out of camping together! So unromantic…
Carina recently posted..Packing Up

Kim May 13, 2014 at 7:01 am

Well, yes and no. Once the piece that is on backorder arrives we will have a king-and-a-half sized bed!!!

Carina May 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

Oooh, King.5 — the perfect balance of romance and space! Insanely ideal!
Carina recently posted..US Airways Frustration

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I know!!!! A massive camping bed- what more could you want?

Ali May 13, 2014 at 7:46 am

Kim, this is awesome! I am NOT a camping person, but if I had someplace comfy like this to sleep, I’d be willing to try it. I love how much room you guys have in there!
Ali recently posted..Packing Made Simple: A Simple Guide to Packing Light e-book

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:03 pm

It’s pretty nice isn’t it??? I can’t wait until we get the piece that will make it a king and a half size bed!

Sarah Somewhere May 13, 2014 at 8:39 am

Very cool! That is seriously awesome, what a great idea!!
Sarah Somewhere recently posted..Walking the path without judgement

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Some seriously smart engineering.

Bianca @itsallbee May 13, 2014 at 8:58 am

Oh my! That has to be the coolest camper I have ever seen. I hope its as comfy as it looks.
Bianca @itsallbee recently posted..Portsea Island

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:04 pm

It is as comfy as it looks. It feels like home :)

Laura May 13, 2014 at 9:18 am

I think I need this! Very cool.

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I know, right? We love it :)

Charles May 13, 2014 at 10:11 am

VERY cool! VERY inventive! VERY over-priced.

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:06 pm

It’s funny, people either thing it is VERY overpriced of a VERY good deal- I suppose it depends on who you ask! The true functionality is how much stuff you can haul. It’s a cargo trailer and a place to sleep- good for people that have a lot of outdoor toys.

Dalene May 13, 2014 at 11:23 am

Okay, I for sure could do seven months in that! I kinda want one.

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I know! I wish we got to keep it FOREVER.

Rika | Cubicle Throwdown May 13, 2014 at 11:53 am

I’ve had an obsession with tiny trailers ever since my boyfriend at the time and I were looking for something his Toyota Echo could pull! 800lbs was the max…I wonder if it would squeak by with this? I love it!
Rika | Cubicle Throwdown recently posted..Roatan Month 21 Roundup

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I don’t know- but I know a Mini Cooper can pull this thing so I bet your Echo could pull it as well…

Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) May 13, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Love it!!! Not the price tag necessarily, though you can’t deny it’s a great idea and super useful performing multiple jobs and doing them all so well. Definitely kicking your glamping up to a new level with this one! :)
Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted..The Surprising Splash of Songkran

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:08 pm

YES, glamping for sure :) It has made a world of difference in our day-to-day lives.

Danielle Withrow May 14, 2014 at 1:29 am

Kim
on your tour you mention being in Asheville May 5/22 – 5/25 at Asheville Mountain Sports. Do you mean Black Dome Mountain Sports on Tunnel Road? I can’t find an “Asheville Mountain Sports”. I plan to come hear your talk either there or in Spartanburg – I’ve been following you since you left Oregon! In October, I’m off on the road myself for six months to Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, and back to India!
Happy Trails
Danielle

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Hi Danielle! It isn’t Black Dome Mountain Sports Festival. It’s actually called Asheville Mountain Sports Festival… I think it is in West Ashville? But we aren’t doing a presentation there, we’ll just be at the booth all day long. If you come make sure to say hello. If you want to see the presentation Spartanburg is the way to go. Your trip sounds AMAZING.

Karyn @ Not Done Travelling May 14, 2014 at 4:08 am

It looks really cool! It struck me as very unusual that it’s mounted off the ground like that, and the beds are in the side parts – but it looks like there are support beams there under each bed, am I right?
Karyn @ Not Done Travelling recently posted..When Dreams Are Delayed

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Yes, there are sturdy support beams underneath. It’s very solid.

Ashlie May 14, 2014 at 8:57 am

It’s so nice to live simply, isn’t it? I’m feeling the weight of having acquired ‘stuff’ while home and although I am enjoying it and what it provides for now I also look forward to shedding it again! Thanks for the tour of your home :)

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:12 pm

You know, it really is. I love that everything we need is in our car. It’s WAY more stuff than we had on the road but it is literally everything we need.

Oliver May 19, 2014 at 2:10 am

Your definitions of “home” are nothing short of amazing!! :D Your little portable home looks pretty cosy too and I agree, these “panorama windows” look like the perfect “first glance at the day” indeed… :)
Oliver recently posted..Gringo Trails ~ a documentary by Pegi Vail

Kim May 20, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Yes, those windows are just wonderful for getting a perfect first glimpse of the day. I love waking up that way.

Maddie June 2, 2014 at 12:32 pm

This is very cool, luxurious camping or what?! I vowed that when we get to live in North America (and we will at some point!) a tent trailer is on the shopping list.
Maddie recently posted..Hull – the 2017 UK City of Culture