Stuck on Wasatch Mountain

by Kim on April 6, 2014 · 30 comments

The plan was to visit Bryce Canyon National Park. But, friends, we are still in the midst of The Never-Ending Winter and it is cold outside. Camping in below-freezing temperatures and snowstorms does nothing for me. So we’ve changed our plans.

Driving to Utah

On our way to Utah for our third presentation.

Car good luck charm

Our good luck charm with the Om Mani Padme Hum mantra.

On the road to Utah

Heading south with the hope of finding warmer weather.

Our third presentation (read Brian’s hilarious account of our first presentation) was in Murray, Utah and we’d planned to camp at Wasatch Mountain State Park. However, due to aforementioned Never-Ending Winter, upon arrival it was much too cold to camp. Luckily, Wasatch Mountain State Park has two adorable and heated (!) cabins and because no one in their right mind is hanging out outside at the moment, we had our pick of them.

cabin at Wasatch Mountain State Park

View from the cabin at Wasatch Mountain

We were supposed to leave Wasatch Mountain three days ago. But after sacrificing our Bryce Canyon camp trip to the weather gods and then succumbing to the realization that nowhere within a day’s drive is warm, we figured we might as well hole up on Wasatch Mountain. So we have. And it is delightful.

Yesterday morning held the fresh and sweet smell of spring. And while the bare buds of the Cottonwood trees are still waiting to bloom and bring color back to these mountains, today I sense that spring has nearly reached us.

Even though there is snow as fine as ash falling from the sky.

Even though the grasses are still limp and yellow, folded over on themselves like crumpled clothes.

Brian and I have found a mountain road, shuttered for the season, that we walk each morning. It is this routine, a few days of watching the same spot of earth unfolding into spring, that assures me that we will not have to wait long for warmer weather.

Road closed

Snowy road in spring

View from Wasatch Mountain State Park

For instance, in just the few days that we have been on Wasatch Mountain, the birds have returned to the sky. They are singing to each other, their lilting call echoing off of the bare trees. I know that they sing whether I am here or not, but it feels like a blessing that I am around to listen.

Small bird in a big blue sky

Perhaps the weather gods know what they are doing after all. Because I am delighted at the chance to watch this Never-Ending Winter slowly, almost unperceivably, melt away to spring.

Tree buds

Buds waiting to bloom

Life On Fire footer

Rob April 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

I’m really enjoying following you on this presentation journey! Shamefully I know next to nothing about all these beautiful places in America, it looks like a good place to be stuck…
Rob recently posted..We are leaving Mexico… Kind of…

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:15 am

It is definitely a good place to be stuck :) You know, I don’t know much about the off-the-beaten-path places in the U.S. either and that’s why I’m so excited to spend 7 months driving around. We’re sure to uncover some good places. The Wasatch Mountains are one of them!

Andrea April 6, 2014 at 9:13 am

Gorgeous photos!! I could easily live in one of those cabins too! Hang in there, my friends in Utah posted the weather has been warming :-)

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:16 am

I can’t wait for that warmer weather!!!

Maddie April 6, 2014 at 9:42 am

Beautiful, there are definitely worse places to be stuck. One of my favourite times of the year is when Spring just starts peeking through, when you see little buds on trees & flowers and the birds finally start singing again. Already loving following your journey :-)
Maddie recently posted..Tips for finding a job after long term travel

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:16 am

Thanks Maddie. And I agree that is is so nice to watch winter unfold into spring. And since we spend so much time outside I feel like we are lucky to see the little changes- it is really wonderful.

greg April 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm

We stayed in a very similar cabin in Emigrant Springs SP, OR. Very comfortable and cozy.

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:17 am

Oh, I’ve never even heard of Emigrant Springs SP in Oregon. I’ll check it out!

Emily April 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I always get so anxious as Winter melts away to Spring (coming from Alberta Canada we’d be teased with ‘chinooks’ only to get another motherload of winter snow or frost, even into May). I feel spoiled that we are traveling this year so only have had some chilly bits, but no draggy winter to deal with!
Emily recently posted..Crazy Lazy in Cusco

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:18 am

Ha, I understand about not trusting those first days of spring. When we were in Ohio staying at my in-laws we had a few 70-degree days and then it would be snowing the next. The tease isn’t fair!

Patti April 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Bummer you didn’t make it to Bryce on this trip, but that view from your cute little front porch is pretty special in itself, and as you say, it’s not a bad place to hang out for a few days. Remember how you’re feeling right now when you’re camping in August and cursing the sweat running down your back! ;)
Patti recently posted..More From Behind the Kitchen Door ~

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:22 am

Ha, I know. A few times now I’ve thought about how eventually we will be experiencing the opposite effect and praying for AC. At least our car has it now! I guess that’s what happens when you live in a tent (mostly) for 7 months- you experience the highs and lows of every season!

Sarah Somewhere April 6, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Beautiful!!! Your photos and words are so crisp and lovely, just like Spring :-)
Sarah Somewhere recently posted..The Paramotor Blues (and mangoes)

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:22 am

Thanks Sarah :)

Simon @ CampTravelAdventure April 7, 2014 at 12:45 am

Excellent! Your images and terms are so sharp and charming. I’m really experiencing following you on this demonstration journey! Thanks for sharing it.

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:22 am

Thanks Simon. We’re having a lot of fun.

Oliver April 7, 2014 at 3:37 am

Marvellous photos and I love the good luck charm with the little green Buddha in the background! I hope you keep going and slowly but surely see the winter vanishing in the rear mirror… :)
Oh, and this one here just made my day:
“For me, the joy of being outside is not discovering something new but rediscovering what is always there when I take the time to see it.” Wonderful and certainly will remind a few people to slow down a bit. Thanks for that Kim!
Oliver recently posted..Zen & Paper – the art of writing

Kim April 7, 2014 at 7:23 am

Ah, I love the idea of winter vanishing in the rear view mirror. I just can’t wait for the first day I can crawl out of my tent and sit down in a chair in the sun and not freeze my butt off.

Steve C April 7, 2014 at 8:19 am

This post is a good example of why I follow your blog. Your positive attitude. I just don’t enjoy reading complainers. Are they looking for sympathy? Well, if misery loves company, I’m not a friend of theirs.

I like your idea of rediscovering what’s already there. That morning hike on the closed road is as refreshing as it gets!

Kim April 9, 2014 at 10:04 am

Thank you Steve. I agree- I don’t enjoy people who complain on the Internet all the time. I mean, really, what is there to complain about?! (Especially when you’re lucky enough to be traveling).

Jade April 7, 2014 at 6:38 pm

It’s even more beautiful than I would have imagined! Especially love the images from inside the car :) Being an expat in Korea means we’ve witnessed a slow but sure change over to Spring and it really is magical when you let yourself attune to it.

Kim April 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

Yes, spring is such a wonderful show. When we lived in Portland I LOVED watching spring unfold. I’d go on the same run each day and slowly but surely the flowers would begin to bloom. The colors in PDX in the spring are out of this world. Hey, you just reminded me of this memory so thank you :)

Patricia Lorraine April 8, 2014 at 5:43 am

I looked up “Om Mani Padme Hum” after seeing your good luck charm, and feel very lucky to have been introduced to a recitation of the 6 paramitas. Thank you for sharing it!

Good luck on your next presentation. I hope the weather continues to warm up!
Patricia Lorraine recently posted..FOOD FARE: Sobetsukai

Kim April 9, 2014 at 10:07 am

Thanks Patricia. I love the mantra– I will forever remember the experience of being at the Dalai Lama’s monastery in Dharmshala, India and watching the monks spin the prayer wheels and recite the mantra. Magical and amazing.

Aurora April 8, 2014 at 7:51 am

spring…. just an elusive idea this year. I am hoping that my visit to Zion in a week and a half (EEK!!!!!! So excited!!!) brings me spring. An even though I cannot wait for spring and warm runs and the smell of mud and flowers, I still love seeing snow covered mountains.

Thanks for keeping us on your journey…. fun for dreaming and planning….
Aurora recently posted..What does the Red-Wing Blackbird say?

Kim April 9, 2014 at 10:08 am

AHAHA, have fun in ZION!!!!! If it gets too cold you can always afford a hotel room- that’s a luxury I have to keep in check these days!

Adrian Mendoza April 9, 2014 at 2:37 am

I really enjoyed reading your article. It is very enticing because of your great shots.
Adrian Mendoza recently posted..How to Save Up to 80% Off Your Next Hotel

Kim April 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

Thanks Adrian.

Karyn @ Not Done Travelling April 9, 2014 at 4:19 am

I’m a pagan, so the changing of the seasons is actually a sacred time to me. When I watch winter turning to spring, it is literally my church. I think I get how you are feeling right now. :)
Karyn @ Not Done Travelling recently posted..The Chain Of Introductions

Kim April 9, 2014 at 10:11 am

Now that I think about it, I’d consider it my church too. Nature has always been the place where I feel most connected and can sense the greater forces at work.