Market day

by Kim on November 17, 2013 · 38 comments

Europe by train: Day 2. Caussade, France.

The thing I love most about traveling is that I get to try on other people’s lives. I can be, for a moment, Incan royalty walking the ancient path to Machu Picchu, an Indian rickshaw driver, or a Tibetan refugee escaping over the Himalayan Mountains. And because I get a glimpse into these lives, my understanding of the world grows deeper.

I awoke this morning in the dull light of dawn, piled deep under the luxurious down blankets and vintage quilts that cover the beds in this French chateau. I drank coffee at the kitchen table lined with a floral tablecloth of pink and green. And then Brian, Hannah, Lee and I drove thirty minutes into St. Antonin Nobel Val, a 13th century medieval village, to visit the weekly farmers market.

“We’ll shop like the French,” said Hannah, handing me a woven basket. Then we set off to wind our way down ancient cobbled streets, past farmer’s stalls and bread stands and impressive displays of French cheese.

I filled my basket with celery, spinach, onion, thyme and fresh bread. I was making Tuscan Bean Soup for lunch.

“Merci,” I told the vendors, bowing my head. “Merci beaucoup.” I wasn’t fooling anyone with my nonexistent French. Still, the lovely people of southern France humored me. ”Je vous en prie,” they responded with a smile. You’re welcome.

French market OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

***

Life On Fire ebook coverI wrote a book about how to live your dreams. You can buy it on Amazon for $8.99.

Tracy & Della November 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

We lived here for eight months back in 2007/08. It’s lovely isn’t it? And a perfect introduction to all things French :)

Kim November 18, 2013 at 1:58 am

It’s incredibly lovely! How lucky that you got to live here.

Hannah November 17, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Such a fun day… and the soup was absolutely delicious!
Hannah recently posted..Six months in a chateau

Kim November 18, 2013 at 1:58 am

It was a great day :)

Rhonda November 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Love market day!

Kim November 18, 2013 at 1:58 am

Me too. It’s so photogenic!

Danielle Withrow November 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Kim
Has anyone told you that your writing has grown by leaps and bounds? I’ve followed you from the beginning (and I’ve got your book Life on Fire). Your opening paragraph on this post is a winner – grabbed me right away as I thought – ah yes, that’s what travel does if you really let it. I look forward to more.
Danielle

Kim November 18, 2013 at 1:59 am

Thanks Danielle. I really appreciate that… sometimes when I read something I wrote in the early days I just cringe. I’m sure I’ll say the same thing about the stuff I’m writing now in the future.

Patti November 17, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Looks peaceful and idyllic and all things French!
Patti recently posted..What You May Not Know ~

Kim November 18, 2013 at 2:00 am

Yes, it was all of those things!

Janeen November 17, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Kim, um Tuscan Bean Soup, sounds great, but Italian, not French. This brings me to my question. I think I recall you saying somewhere that are vegetarian (so am I, for over 25 years). Please excuse me if I am wrong on this point. Anyway, so I find visiting Italy wonderful, so easy to find vegetarian food everywhere, on every menu, Spain was harder, but always I found something to eat, even it it were at an Italian or Middle Eastern restaurant. But France has always been a huge challenge for me, especially eating out. There are so many things I love about the culture and people of France, but finding something to eat has always been difficult. I have trepidation about my upcoming visit to France in May and if I will find vegetarian food. Maybe one of these days you might write a bit on your blog on how you navigate Europe on a vegetarian diet. And if not a vegetarian, how you handle cooking in general.

Kim November 18, 2013 at 2:04 am

I am a vegetarian. I’ve found it very difficult to eat this way in a lot of places we’ve traveled. For example, South America was terrible!!! Spain was really hard as well, I thought, unless you want to eat pizza and french fries or bread and cheese (unfortunately I ate a lot of both). So far, France hasn’t been a problem because I’ve just arrived and am staying with friends who have a kitchen and we can cook our own meals.

We’ll really only be in Paris (we’ve been before) and, because it’s a big city, I know that finding vegetarian food will be okay. We keep the Yelp app on our phone and hunt for vegetarian food recommendations using that app. It’s really come in handy. I’ve been meaning to writing about eating vegetarian abroad and haven’t done it yet. Two other bloggers, Simon and Erin of neverendingvoyage.com are vegetarians and write amazing vegetarian food guides to the places they visit. I’d definitely check them out!

Rika | Cubicle Throwdown November 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

This looks so amazing. I would love to go to a farmers market in a 13th century medieval village!!
Rika | Cubicle Throwdown recently posted..“So, like… what do you EAT in Honduras?” – Part 2

Kim November 18, 2013 at 2:05 am

Yeah, it was pretty stunning! Loved it :)

Terry P November 18, 2013 at 4:47 am

Your photography is exquisitely stunning! Love the cabbage and the herbs pics – breathtaking! Glad you two are enjoying Europe! Stay safe and take care of each other. Love you both! xoxoxo

Kim November 18, 2013 at 5:43 am

Thanks Terry. We are having a great time in Europe. Tell little Allie hello from her uncle and aunt!

Carmel November 18, 2013 at 5:31 am

So.flipping.jealous.
Carmel recently posted..SNAPSHOTS OF EL NIDO

Kim November 18, 2013 at 5:44 am

You’ll be here soon enough :)

Kristin Thomas November 18, 2013 at 7:20 am

Ahhh! I’m in love with these photos! I adore everything French. When we were in Montreal, try as I might with my French, they would playful laugh and switch to English. They thought my “merci beaucoup” was pretty funny…I thought it sounded pretty good, but I was wrong.
Kristin Thomas recently posted..The Northeast

Kim November 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

My French is just terrible. But France is insanely lovely. Such a wonderful place!

Maddie November 18, 2013 at 8:46 am

Hannah’s little corner of France looks absolutely gorgeous, as if I wasn’t envious enough looking at the chateau photos ;-)
Maddie recently posted..So what happens now?

Kim November 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Yeah, it’s amazing! I’m so jealous she gets to live here for six months!

Mima November 18, 2013 at 8:57 am

Kim,
as always your writing is excellent! I enjoy it so much. Travelling through Europe has always been my dream so I am enjoying these posts even more and am travelling through Europe through your posts and photos :)
Thanks again!
Mima

Kim November 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Mima, I’m so glad :)

Christine November 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

I seriously could find peace in living this way everyday. Thank you for sharing.
Christine recently posted..Finding Self : Cooking, Yoga, Junk Journaling and more!

Kim November 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Me too. Me too.

Annie of TravelShus November 18, 2013 at 12:40 pm

beatuiful photos. market day is always my favorite day. I cant wait to visit market days in Italy next month!
Annie of TravelShus recently posted..Learning to Embrace Travel Challenges

Kim November 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Ohhh, Italian markets will be wonderful!!! Enjoy!

Sarah Somewhere November 18, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Oi oi! SO beautiful, you all look great, stunning photos, I can almost taste that soup!!
Sarah Somewhere recently posted..Finding home in Oaxaca City

Kim November 19, 2013 at 2:37 am

That soup was great. Really, I think all I need is a French kitchen (inside a French chateau).

Corinne November 18, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Exactly! Who doesn’t love a French (or any really) market? I have found in the last couple of years traveling around France that they are very patient with my lack of language. So nice! Love your photos!
Corinne recently posted..How to Have Vacation and Christmas Your Way!

Kim November 19, 2013 at 2:38 am

Thanks Corinne. Visiting markets is like insta-happiness!

Lance | Trips By Lance November 19, 2013 at 9:53 am

Looks like a beautiful village to have a walk around in. Very beautiful. And yes, markets are a great way to experience a city, no matter the culture.
Lance | Trips By Lance recently posted..Red Cat House: A Haven in the Heart of Taos

Kim November 19, 2013 at 10:45 am

It was one of the most photographic places I have been! Lovely.

Dustin@WeGoRTW November 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Love the alley way photo!
Dustin@WeGoRTW recently posted..Cables Down

Kim November 21, 2013 at 12:38 am

Thanks. That’s one of my favorites too!

Sam November 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Love reading about your adventures! You may have mentioned it before…but what kind of camera are you guys using b/c the pictures are fantastic!

Kim November 26, 2013 at 12:36 am

Same, we use the Olympus EP3. Love it!