Where famous people go when they die

by Kim on November 21, 2013 · 26 comments

Europe by train: day 6. Paris, France.

It is cold in Paris and Brian and I are completely unprepared. Most of the clothes we have with us were packed in anticipation of the stifling heat of SE Asia. We hadn’t planned to stay in Europe for so long. As a result, I’ve been wearing a variation (jeans instead of hiking pants) of the exact same outfit since September 18th. I have honest to God fantasies of throwing these clothes into a raucous bonfire while I hop around like a wild woman screaming BURN! BURN!

Regardless of our sub-par wardrobe, we set out today to explore Paris by foot. We spent hours roaming through the Pere Lachaise cemetery where Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde are buried. We warmed ourselves inside of the Cathedral of Notre Dame (850 years old this year). We held hands on the bridge of love locks while searching unsuccessfully for one with our names on it so we could pass it off as our own. Then we ate falafels so good we waited in line for them and afterwards, with full bellies, we explored the nooks and crannies of the Shakespeare and Company bookstore where Ezra Pound, Hemingway and James Joyce used to hang out. Then we topped it all off with an espresso. It was a pretty good day.

Paris is stunning, but you know that. So I’ll stop with the words now and let the pictures do the talking.

Paris, France OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

***

Life On Fire ebook coverI wrote a book about how to live your dreams. You can buy it on Amazon for $8.99.

HP November 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

So much to do, so little time. That’s how we feel every time we go up to Paris.
HP recently posted..GLUTEN FREE EGG PASTA RECIPE.

Kim November 21, 2013 at 10:24 am

Totally. I’d say we feel that way as well. This is our second time in Paris and I know we still won’t get through our list.

Hogga November 21, 2013 at 10:26 am

so cool

Kim November 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thanks Lindsay!

Jessica November 21, 2013 at 11:16 am

Cannot WAIT to go to Paris.

Some day, some day.

That picture of the path, third from the top, is KILLER.

Kim November 22, 2013 at 1:16 pm

It is SUCH a beautiful city. Paris will be here waiting for you :)

Christine November 21, 2013 at 11:21 am

How does one plan a European trip by train? this looks like a superb idea for my daughter and me.
Christine recently posted..“Blueberries Meet Their Match” Blogger Recipe Contest & More!

Kim November 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Hi Christine. If you want to send me an email (kim.somanyplaces@gmail.com) I can send you a longer answer. We are using eurail.com and have eurail global passes. We can use the trains to travel between 24 European countries. It’s unbelievable. In some cases you need to reserve the trains in advance but in many situations you can just hop on. We have a great app on our phone that makes it really easy to plan the whole thing. I’ll write a big post about it some point in the next few weeks.

Rhonda November 21, 2013 at 11:57 am

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh love Paris and omg, that falafel looks extraordinary!
Rhonda recently posted..Savoring Santa Fe

Kim November 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

It was so, so good. We were on falafel street- there were about ten places in a row selling falafels but our place was the only one with a line. Worth the wait!

Patti November 21, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Shakespeare & Company… we were there, outside, but had to dash to do something, can’t remember what so we said, “We’ll come back tomorrow.” Sadly, when we arrived the next day they had closed for inventory for the rest of the month! Deeply disappointed, but at least I can say we were there. That last photo looks like Brian has a white-cupped nose! p.s. it’s 31 degrees in Ashland right now!
Patti recently posted..My 15-Minute Claim to Fame ~

Kim November 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

So sad!!! I hated that I couldn’t take pictures inside. It’s bookstore heaven and made me miss Powells (it’s much smaller than Powells of course).

RenegadePilgrim November 22, 2013 at 2:52 am

Did you see the yellow arrows at Notre Dame? The route from Paris starts somewhere around there…

Kim November 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I totally did! And my first thought was of the Camino but then I thought… no, it couldn’t be. But it IS. That makes me so nostalgic. I should have taken a photo. I want to walk to Santiago from Paris.

Renee November 22, 2013 at 9:58 am

Wow, those pictures are amazing! Bummer it wasn’t warmer for you, but I’m glad you found some delicious falafels to at least make your tummies happy.

Kim November 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Well, I suppose I can’t expect Paris in November to be warm. It’s still beautiful though :)

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures November 22, 2013 at 1:40 pm

What gorgeous pics! I know it’s morbid, but I have such a fascination with cemeteries.
Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..England & Scotland With Trafalgar: Day 3 (Part 1)

Kim November 26, 2013 at 12:15 am

Thanks Andi! My best friend from Ohio is also obsessed. She’s the one who insisted we visit the cemetery. It was worth it!

Swaps November 22, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Kim, your pictures are absolutely stunning! Have a great time :)

Kim November 26, 2013 at 12:20 am

Thank you!

Lauren November 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm

My word how it is stunning!!!!

Kim November 26, 2013 at 12:28 am

Not a bad place to go for your final rest, is it?

Maddie November 24, 2013 at 5:53 am

I just love Paris! So many people I’ve met really don’t like it and I’ve never understood why. I’ve been so many times and there is still a huge list of things for me to see and do. Gorgeous photos :-)
Maddie recently posted..So what happens now?

Kim November 26, 2013 at 12:28 am

I don’t understand how people couldn’t like Paris. I’ve heard the same thing and not understood it either. I mean, what’s not to like? It’s the most beautiful city in the world!

Montecristo Travels (Sonja) November 25, 2013 at 1:13 pm

We have a love lock on the Pont des Artistes! :) Love Paris … the BEST way to get around we found was the bateaubus! Totally awesome!

Kim November 26, 2013 at 12:36 am

Awww… the locks are so sweet.