Introducing the So Many Places SHOP!

by Kim on July 17, 2013 · 39 comments

Brian and I are incredibly excited (and nervous!) to introduce you to our latest project. We have been toiling away for days (in my in-laws basement no less) and are finally ready to share our latest “baby” with the world. Here she is:

(click the image to visit the shop)

How the shop was born

As we travel around this big, beautiful world, Brian and I have been continuously struck by how unique the handicrafts and art are in each country we visit. In Peru, we fell in love with the hand-knit llama hair hats and recycled-fabric mochilas (backpacks). In India, we found ourselves swooning over the brightly-colored yak blankets and intricately beaded bedspreads. But we travel on a tight budget and can’t purchase the things we would love to bring home: paintings, wooden masks, artwork and more.

Until one day we had an idea: What if we bought the most beautiful and unique things we came across on our travels and then offered them to you?

The So Many Places SHOP was born.

This is an experiment. The shop could fail and it could suck. But we’re trying. We’re trying everything we can to build the sort of life we want to live. That means a shop which, if successful, will allow us to travel and earn an income at the same time. The shop is essentially Brian’s baby, something for him to manage while I pull my hair out writing.

Right now, the shop is in its infant stages. At the moment, we’re featuring a few items from Nepal like these intricate, hand painted mandalas:

Mandala painting

In most cases, we only have one of each item.

We’ve also created a few products with help from our talented graphic designer like these watercolor greeting cards:

Map greeting cards

And if you aren’t in the market for stuff but still want to show your love for So Many Places, we’re even offering these beautiful stickers that you can sport to show your support:

So Many Places sticker green

About the shop

As we continue to travel to different parts of the world (next up: SE Asia in October), we will update the shop with items we find in the countries we are visiting. If you’d like to receive an email when the shop is updated (this email will be sent infrequently- no more than once a month) you can sign up for shop updates here.

You can visit the shop at anytime by clicking on the shop tab on the homepage of So Many Places or the shop button on the So Many Places sidebar.

Please visit the shop, take a look around and purchase what you love. We’ve hand picked everything ourselves and have priced our items to suit any budget.

Help us spread the word

Help us share the So Many Places SHOP! with the world and you’ll be entered to win your choice of Wanderluster greeting cards or a Wanderluster print.

To enter, simply share this blog post on Facebook or Google+ or tweet one of the items in the shop and you’ll be entered to win. Make sure you leave a comment at the bottom of this post so I know you’ve helped spread the word. A winner will be selected at random on Friday, August 9, 2013.

Thank you so much for your support as we continue to explore ways to make a living doing what we love!

Kim + Brian

Michelle July 17, 2013 at 9:14 am

Such a great idea, you guys! Will definitely be checking it out, and I can’t wait to see the new pieces that will pop up when you’re in SEA. Fun!
Michelle recently posted..fear, you are dismissed.

Maddie July 17, 2013 at 9:16 am

I love it, what a great idea! The watercolour cards are really beautiful and it’s great to think you can add to this collection as you travel. You will find some great things the more you explore SEA :-)
Maddie recently posted..Getting the best from Angkor Wat in 2 days – Part 2

Scott Patton July 17, 2013 at 9:41 am

Love this! But where are the wandering sasquatch stickers?

Kim July 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm

They are totally in the works! Because everyone needs a sasquatch sticker!

Lpeg July 17, 2013 at 10:26 am

Definitely a great idea! Tweeted!! I want the map!
Lpeg recently posted..Gamla Stan.

Rhonda July 17, 2013 at 11:52 am

I bought the cards yesterday and am anxiously awaiting their arrival! I love this idea, actually, and it sparked a memory of a website I found a few years ago where the author would send out a message saying “I’m in Istanbul, (or wherever) ” if you want something let me know, I’ll take pics, advise of price, etc and then get the $$ and ship the article to the new owners. I’ve often thought that being paid to shop while traveling may not be such a rough gig:) Good luck on your new venture.
Rhonda recently posted..Lost in the Markets of Asia

Kim July 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Yeah, that would be AMAZING! Maybe we’ll do that…

Alyssa July 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I really love the watercolor print on the greeting cards! I +1′d it!
Alyssa recently posted..You’re Never Alone in the Forest

Carmel July 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I shared with my FB world since I have more friends than followers :)

Everything looks beautiful! Only wish I needed stuff right now. I guess I can count on you two to buy the stuff I want to bring home and then buy it from your shop later.
Carmel recently posted..HARMONY

Jennifer Blair July 17, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Kim & Brian-
I love that you’ve extended your travels to us in the form of “stuff”. I love “stuff”! And I’m gonna promote the heck out of you.
(((((Hugs))))))and much success.

Jen

Kim July 17, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Jen :)

Hannah July 17, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Weeeeeee! It looks amazing and I have been spreading the word for you my dear. This is going to be a huge success, I just know it. Hold onto your hats!
Hannah recently posted..An adventure by any other name

Heather Sunseri July 18, 2013 at 5:13 am

Love the greeting cards! I’m thinking of who I can gift those to! I’ll be buying some for myself for sure. And I already shared it on Twitter and Facebook! :)
Heather Sunseri recently posted..Cover Reveal: MINDSIEGE! Check it!!

Kim July 20, 2013 at 7:13 am

Thanks Heather!

Hogga July 18, 2013 at 5:33 am

those watercolor cards are beautiful!
Hogga recently posted..Honging the Kong

Sarah Ram July 18, 2013 at 6:00 am

Great idea, Kim & Brian – I’ve been telling everyone about your fabulous blog for over a year – now I have more news to spread! Love it!
Sarah Ram recently posted..Feeling the call of the sea – not long now!

Deborah July 18, 2013 at 8:44 am

Love this idea! Just shared it through Facebook!! Can’t wait to see how this grows with you and Brian!

JoAnn July 18, 2013 at 9:33 am

Awesome job you guys! It looks top notch! I love your offerings and wish you great success. I had an idea of something we’ve enjoyed. You could offer a traveling monthly postcard for $xx, you send a postcard from whichever country you are visiting.

Love you guys!!!

Kim July 18, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Hey, that is a pretty great idea Jo! Thanks for all of your help while we were in PDX and for suggesting Big Cartel. XO

Kim July 20, 2013 at 7:14 am

Jo, that’s a good idea! We’ll think about that :)

Sarah Somewhere July 18, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Beautiful! Love your new shop and wish you lots of success! (So Kim, the Indian footstool cover didn’t make it to the shop hmmm…)
Sarah Somewhere recently posted..The Paradox of Letting Go

Kim July 18, 2013 at 1:49 pm

It never made it home from India!!! All of our India stuff got “lost” in the mail :(

Max neumegen July 18, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Yes I will share your shop through Facebook, the hitch hiking community, the nomand community , and CouchSurfing community.

See if you can get some interviews done on some of the big traveling websites too.

Max neumegen July 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm

May I recommend some things that will increase your market:
what currency you are using is included in any cost figures. You are international and not want to be seen as part of “arrogant assuming American style” (other people’s descriptive words).
When your shop page is viewed on an iphone, the price cannot be seen when the written description is longer than 3 lines. Will be helpful to see all info without clicking twice, and have the box resize to see all info or make sure all info fits into the 3 lines.
Need to show clearer the ways of payment.
And different ways of postage and insurance cover.
That can be read before buying things.
Just a few thoughts.

Kim July 20, 2013 at 7:14 am

Thanks for your tips Max. We will look into those things.

Kim July 20, 2013 at 7:15 am

Oh but as far as payment goes… it’s through paypal and can accept all types of currency (I’m pretty sure, but will double check)

nicole July 19, 2013 at 12:15 pm

HOW CUTE!!!

We would love to do something like this eventually. But, we don’t have enough visitors to our site yet [cries]. But, one of these days…

And congratulations. this is awesome. =)
nicole recently posted..Does “Off the Beaten Path” Even Exist?

Anja van der Vorst July 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Great initiative. I hope it will work out!
Anja van der Vorst recently posted..10 Travel Destinations I would love to visit

Jessica July 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm

New store looks great, good luck! I just shared it on my Facebook!
Jessica recently posted..Travel Research: How do Locals Feel about the Practice of Slum Tourism?

Kim July 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

Thank you Jessica.

Wes Mullen July 25, 2013 at 6:46 am

Hey Kim!
Just wanted you to know that I’ve given your site and the new shop a shout-out on my website. Keep up the great work. I wish I had had the courage to do what you’re doing in my youth!
Wes

Kim July 27, 2013 at 8:22 am

Thanks Wes! You’re entered into the contest.

Dalene July 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Congrats guys! This is something that Pete and I have talked about as well from time to time, but have never really gotten to it. I’m really excited for you and hope it works out!! :)
Dalene recently posted..Of Milk and Money

Kim July 27, 2013 at 8:22 am

Thanks Dalene. It’s slowly chugging along, we have a lot more work to do…

TammyOnTheMove August 1, 2013 at 2:36 am

Great idea! Good luck with the shop! I hope it works out! :-)
TammyOnTheMove recently posted..Hiking boots review: Atmosphere boots by Mountain Warehouse

Kim August 1, 2013 at 7:15 am

Thanks Tammy.

Montecristo Travels (Sonja) August 1, 2013 at 11:34 am

loving that map! We aren’t “stuff” people but these are great! Wonderful idea!
Montecristo Travels (Sonja) recently posted..When Travel Plans Go Belly Up!

Kim August 2, 2013 at 7:55 am