A break for the mountains

by Kim on May 4, 2013 · 31 comments

Our 8-day trek to Annapurna Base Camp only served to whet our appetites for the beautiful, snow-capped mountains of Nepal. Brian and I are headed out again, this time for up to a month as we slowly navigate the Annapurna Circuit. We’ve got plans to explore lakes, mountains, temples and tiny villages as well as spend long, lazy afternoons at the tea houses in our pajamas reading books we’ve picked up about the region: Seven Years in Tibet, The Gurkhas, Tigers of the Snow, Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8,000-Meter Peak and The Snow Leopard. Sounds pretty wonderful, no?

Annapurna Base Camp

Step 1: Escape to the mountains

Tea house down time

Step 2: Curl up in tea houses with fleece pants, knit booties and books

We won’t have internet access of course. And while I constantly have my notebook and pen beside me, jotting down notes and ideas and memorable encounters, I’ve recently failed to produce enough blog content in advance to stick to my sorta-schedule of posting every Wednesday and Sunday while I’m gone. But the mountains have called and it has been a good lesson for me to go to them, to let go of all of the self-imposed things I think I should! be! doing!, to flip over my to-do list and close the computer and forget the emails for awhile.

Still. I’ve prepared a few things for the coming weeks of my absence. Not things that I’ve written but things that I love. Quotes, links, blogs, advice columns, and TED Talks. The stuff that I turn to for inspiration when I feel stuck or need a pick-me-up. Many of them relate to the themes in my life right now: writing and working. Also, there’s lots of poetry because, damn, I love poems. Poetry is life boiled down to its essence; the perfect words and nothing extra.

So for the next few weeks you’ll be seeing some posts of my favorite things and I will see you all again in late May or early June when I emerge from the mountains.

During the upcoming month I may periodically post photos and short trekking updates to the So Many Places Facebook page. Make sure to “like” the page if you’re interested in following along.

Carina May 4, 2013 at 10:01 am

We’re 18 mos away from going to the Nepal/Tibet area but I just read Seven Years in Tibet last year (it’s on my blog under the tag reading if you’re interested in a mini-review). What a great book, and reading it while you’re there would be even better. Jealous!!
Carina recently posted..A PR finally! Well, emphasis on the P

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:01 am

I read it!!! I also read a few other books about the area: The Snow Leopard (wonderful!!), Sold (wonderful but sad), and Annapurna (I could take it or leave it).

Jade May 4, 2013 at 10:42 am

Have the most amazing time! That literally sounds like heaven to me!
Can’t wait to hear all about it when you get back…
Jade recently posted..On seizing opportunities

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:02 am

Thanks Jade! Working on writing about it now.

william chaney May 4, 2013 at 2:47 pm

be safe and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:03 am

Thanks William!

Hannah May 4, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I’m so happy that you are gifting yourself with this time. Breaking away from your self-imposed expectations is so necessary every now and then. Go revel in the freedom and lightness of having nothing to do but that which makes your soul sing. You deserve it.

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:05 am

Thanks Hannah. Man, it was amazing. I want to go back to the mountains already!

acrosstheneversky May 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I’d love to know which poems you’re reading!

I always read books that are about/set in the places I’m going to be traveling to either before leaving or during the trip. It’s the perfect way to feel connected to a place you’ve never been.
acrosstheneversky recently posted..admission

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:06 am

I absolutely agree. I’ve just really started to make an effort to do that while in India and Nepal and it has really changed the way I look at the countries I am in. I love it.

Dawn May 5, 2013 at 6:12 am

Fun! When do you guys head out? My boyfriend and I are starting the circuit next week. So excited!

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:08 am

How was it Dawn? We just got back and loved it!

Sarah Somewhere May 5, 2013 at 7:08 am

Sounds wonderful, love the booties, enjoy!!
Sarah Somewhere recently posted..On Freedom

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:08 am

Thanks Sarah. I love the booties too!!!

Traveling Ted May 5, 2013 at 7:54 am

You are in for a treat when you read the Snow Leopard. One of my favorite books. You can’t go wrong with Peter Matthiessen.
Traveling Ted recently posted..Cinco de mayo talavera piece in Puebla

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:09 am

Read it, loved it. Amazing book.

Jennifer May 5, 2013 at 11:40 am

You plans sound great (and I love the knit booties!). Are you worried at all about the attack that happened recently on the climbers?

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:09 am

Hi Jennifer. Nope, not worried at all. Every porter and guide I met was wonderful. Something tells me those Everest climbers were asking for it.

Sawrah May 6, 2013 at 11:40 am

I just got back from the Poonhill Trek on the Annapurna circuit. At five days, it is the shortest one you can do, but it was phenomenal! I would have loved to spend some lazy afternoons at the teahouses, but we were going at to fast a pace. I am looking forward to reading about your experience.

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:16 am

Ghorepani is pretty great, isn’t it? We loved both the Circuit and Annapurna Base Camp. Now I want to do the Great Himalaya Trail!

Annie of TravelShus May 6, 2013 at 11:48 am

im so jealous! hanging out in the teahouses sounds awesome! Would love to slow down and enjoy the villages because to me, thats one of the best pieces of Nepali trekking. Have fun.

Check out these books too: Surfing the Himalayas and Snowboarding to Nirvana. Really nice stories about the himalayas, nepal, and spirituality.
Annie of TravelShus recently posted..Photo Inspiration: Sleeping Mallard in Naperville

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:16 am

Thanks for the book recommendations Annie, I will check them out! I agree the tea houses are some of the best things about trekking in Nepal.

Carmel May 7, 2013 at 10:48 am

I agree with Hannah’s comment! You’ll come back with a whole new perspective too. I always wish that I could disconnect a bit more in my daily life, but it’s hard unless you make yourself get completely away. Enjoy your time.

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:19 am

Carmel, we are back in the land of computers and I am already missing the circuit. It was WONDERFUL. If you guys go to Nepal I would definitely recommend it.

Sofie May 8, 2013 at 12:18 am

I’m actually really looking forward to discovering the things that inspire you. Who knows, I might get inspired as well:)
Sofie recently posted..And so it begins

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:21 am

I hope you will get inspired!

TammyOnTheMove May 8, 2013 at 1:33 am

Ohhh, now that you have mentioned the whole circuit I might consider doing that instead of the ABC trek. Will wait and see what your post is going to say. :-)
TammyOnTheMove recently posted..“Appy ‘Oli”

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:24 am

They are BOTH wonderful! Do both! You can combine them into one.

Bama May 9, 2013 at 1:14 am

Make the best out your time Kim! and the most important thing: Enjoy every single moment! Oh, and of course, safe travels always!
Bama recently posted..Orchid Island: Taiwan’s Tropical Paradise

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:27 am

Thank you Bama! We are back and it was WONDERFUL.