A year ago I left my job

by Kim on April 29, 2013 · 112 comments

One year ago I left my job (and income) behind, scared to death but hopeful that following the truth that beat inside my chest was real and meaningful and deserved attention.

I was terrified. I questioned my sanity. I almost convinced myself that my desire for more was escapism, an elaborate daydream constructed as a distraction from my 9-to-5.

Just grow up,” I said to myself. But I was grown up. And I made my grown-up decision with my grown-up decision making skills, weighted against my grown-up responsibilities.  I was going to travel. I was going to write for a living, somehow.

I am writing this on a bus in Nepal. The wheels of the bus are knocking over potholes and my pen jumps on the page. I’m scribbling, really, hunched in  a tiny seat over my notebook. Outside of my open window the dust is thick and it blows in warm gusts with the wind, settling on my cheek. Children squat near tiny huts, silos of hay stacked around them. Men in topi hats ride bicycles somewhere. Life is all around me.

In the year since I left my job I have traveled through 9 countries. I have been to the Galapagos Islands and the Amazon Rainforest and I have hiked through the Andes and the Himalayas. I’ve driven a rickshaw through India. There is so much more. Really, there is too much to tell. A thousand tiny moments: smiles, waves, broken conversations over chai. The small things, too mundane to write home about, but the moments that have changed me over time, eroding my hardness and softening my rough edges, opening me up to the world.

Iguazu Falls2

Iguazu Falls, Argentina

Counting change2

Counting change in India. Thanks to Sarah Somewhere for the photo.

Dharmshala2

Dharmshala, India

One year of traveling and I don’t feel like a different person. It’s the opposite, actually. I feel more me. That person before was half-me, a version of myself that I tried to cram into the conventions of the life I felt obliged to live. I don’t feel like I’m living someone else’s life anymore. This life is all mine, a life I chose, not a life I fell into. A life I risked a lot to live. A life that isn’t for everyone but is definitely for me.

__________

There is so much pain, poverty and destruction in the world. I struggle with it because I feel that, since I am in the fortunate position to travel and witness it with my own eyes, it is also my obligation to do something about it.

I think now, after one year, I know what to do about. Not how to fix the problems in the world but what I, individually, can do about it. My job is to tell the stories. If I can tell a story that makes you think or look at the world in a different way, to relate to someone you otherwise wouldn’t or to be interested in a place that didn’t interest you before; essentially, if what I write enables you to see how we are all connected, then I have done my job.

One year ago I took a gigantic leap of faith. It wasn’t blind. Brian and I worked hard, saved our money, prepared as much as possible. But still, for the big things, you cannot be completely prepared. There is never a bridge. You have to leap across the gaping space, clutching faith like a rope, believing that your feet will find you on the other side.

I could not have predicted what one year of travel would look like, because you can never know. I thought: Maybe one year will do it? I thought: Maybe I’ll miss the routine and want to go back to my cubicle? It hasn’t and I don’t. I have no idea about anything but I am happy in the pursuit of the things that I love.

Trekking to Annapurna Base Camp2

Trekking to Annapurna Base Camp, Nepal

__________

Life On Fire ebook coverLive your dreams! Find out how with my book, Life On Fire: A Step-By-Step Guide To Living Your Dreams

Carmel April 29, 2013 at 7:54 am

I am almost in tears I’m so happy for you and proud of you for taking the leap.

“One year of traveling and I don’t feel like a different person. It’s the opposite, actually. I feel more me. ”
I feel like the more we honor our true selves, the more we knock away the dirt that is covering up our shine, we are just coming into the fullness of who we are…there’s no change exactly. It’s always been there, we’re just discovering it.

I love this and I love you both! Congratulations on almost a full year of travel!! We may be in the same area come December….
Carmel recently posted..Thai Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Tofu

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:37 am

Carmel, you are so right and that is such a lovely description. It’s just uncovering the true you… wiping off the dirt. P.S. How wonderful will it be if we are in the same place at the same time?

amy April 29, 2013 at 7:57 am

I can’t believe it has been one year! Crazy how time flies. I am so happy for you both! I love seeing and reading about your adventures and you continue to inspire. We are taking the long way round I think to get to our dream but slowly but surely we are re inventing it. I cannot wait to see what the next year brings for you two!!!

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:38 am

Thank you Amy! I can’t wait to see what the next year brings for you and Brian either- a move out west and a whole new life. XO

Maddie April 29, 2013 at 8:06 am

A year of full time escape from the cube!! Massive congrats! I’ve been meaning to email you but when you get to Asia try and make some time for the Philippines. We spent a few weeks hiking in the mountains of Luzon and I really think you’d like it, so peaceful and a real escape. Oh and if you hike the Camino any time soon I will be supremely jealous!! :-)
Maddie recently posted..Back to what we love best – discovering the mountains of the Philippines

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:39 am

Twenty Years Hence is also singing the praises of the Philippines so we have to go! You need to tell me more about the mountains of Luzon, that sounds amazing. I love that we are both mountain junkies.

Bryony April 29, 2013 at 8:24 am

I love reading your blog as I’m grappling with the decision to do something similar, albeit solo and not with a partner. I, too, love writing and would really appreciate some pointers on how it may benefit me as a source of income for my travels. Did you get your blog sponsored? Did you approach anyone or review websites? In the meantime thanks again for inspiring me and making me realise I’m not alone at wrestling with wondering if I’m insane for leaving a comfortable life behind (and a beloved cat) or if I’d be more insane not to take that first step! X

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:40 am

Bryony, if you can send me an email and I can share all of this info with you. You can find me under the contacts tab.

Tamara (@Turtlestravel) April 29, 2013 at 8:46 am

I always enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the great work. So happy you’ve been able to make it a full-time pursuit! We are currently home hoping to build up a bit of income/savings so we can get back on the road again. Travel really does help you get more in touch with who you really are. Thanks for the inspiration to keep working toward being able to pursue what we love.
Tamara (@Turtlestravel) recently posted..A Hindu Temple in Atlanta: Shri Swaminarayan Mandir

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:41 am

Tamara, thanks for your kind words and support. Best of luck on getting back out on the road again, you’ll get there!

Patti April 29, 2013 at 9:28 am

It’s so interesting to watch your transformation. I can’t imagine how after traveling as you’ve been doing (and will continue to do) you could ever return to your cubicle, it would be so constricting after such freedom. But you’re fortunate in that you’ve found a way to earn an income… well, actually, you made it happen for yourself. Kudos to you and Brian!
Patti recently posted..Persian Kabobs ~

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oh man, it would be quite a shock to go back to my cube! I just hope we can continue this as long as we hope.

Laura April 29, 2013 at 9:35 am

Inspiring post! My boyfriend and I saw you speak in Portland before you left for your trip. We were in the daydream phase at that point. Now we too are on our way and only two months into it I can’t agree more. Why was I so scared? Best thing I’ve ever done. We start the camino in two days and hope to start Annapurna in August.
Congratulations on one year and you inspire and teach many with your writing.
Laura recently posted..Santanyi Saturday Market. It’s all fun and games until…

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:43 am

Ha, yes, the fear is so big beforehand, isn’t it? I suppose it is only natural. HAVE FUN on the Camino!!! I’m dreaming of it…

Del April 29, 2013 at 9:45 am

I stumbled upon your post about 6 months ago when I was daydreaming about quitting my job. My husband and I are taking the leap and leaving on September 1! Thanks for the inspiration and helping me understand I am not crazy for wanting to follow my dreams.

Hope to run into you and your husband somewhere on the road.

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:44 am

Congrats!!! September 1 will be here in no time at all. Enjoy everything, even the sad parts leaving up to departure. It is all a part of the journey.

Kellie April 29, 2013 at 9:51 am

Great post Kim. We’re on our count down to our own adventure and it honestly can’t come soon enough. I don’t feel scared about this giant leap we are about to take, just excitement. I find myself day dreaming whilst at work wondering where I’ll be or what I’ll be doing this time next year. I quite like the unknown of it all. It’s great to see how well it has worked for you, very inspiring.
Really enjoy reading your stories, it helps keep the dream alive, whilst saving and waiting!
Kellie recently posted..Phobias – Overcoming fear for freedom!

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:45 am

Glad I can lend a little fuel to your fire. Daydreaming is such a fun part… what is even better is that there are things that will happen that will be even bigger than your daydreams. I’m excited for you!

Keirnsy April 29, 2013 at 10:17 am

Kim, I’m so freaking happy for you I almost had a happy-tear-in-the-cubicle moment.

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hey lady, thank you! Hopefully we can grab a beer when I am in PDX this summer (maybe at bottles??) XO

Tracy April 29, 2013 at 10:32 am

You’re really doing it! If you haven’t touched your savings this year, that means you are truly making a living as a writer :) After watching someone strive for something for so long it’s really great to see them doing exactly what they want to do. So glad you guys are still enjoying the adventures of living out in the world, I can’t wait to join you

Kim April 29, 2013 at 10:46 am

Thanks Tracy. I can’t wait for you to join us either. We think about you guys all of the time and I can’t wait to see you when we are in PDX… I want to hear about all of your plans. XO

Rob April 29, 2013 at 10:49 am

Awesomeness!! Extremely pleased for you and your bearded chap. Hope the success and adventure continues!

Kim April 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thank you Rob!

Michelle April 29, 2013 at 11:06 am

In tears too because you write what I know I would think and feel. I still have some work to do to convince my partner to take the leap. In the meantime, if you get to the Camino de Santiago, we’d love to have you stay over. We live close to one of the starting points, French side, and have had strangers here and then spend the night in our house between landing at the airport and getting to this starting point. If you are interested, just let us know (but how?).
In the meantime, enjoy Nepal and your US rest and keep writing, please !

Kim April 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Michelle, thank you so much for the offer!! We would love to stay if we do decide to do the Camino (and I think I have your email address since you submitted it for the comment, so I can get in touch).

Pamela April 29, 2013 at 11:24 am

I’m so glad you are able to continue doing what you love.
Pamela recently posted..Some of My Photos are on Public Display

Kim April 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Pam. I’m pretty happy about it too.

Gary April 29, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I was wondering when this post would come. The “we are not done traveling yet” post. I think it’s great. I have loved following your blog and always look forward to your next post. How wonderful that your adventure continues!
Good luck,
~Gary

Kim April 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Gary… so happy (and excited) that the adventure can continue.

Sam April 29, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Awesomesauce! Congratulations on making it work for a year…and it sounds like you’re sorted for longer still! Here’s to many more years like this!
Sam recently posted..100 Days of Travel

Kim April 29, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Sam. Definitely cheers-ing to many more years.

Arianwen April 29, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Congratulations on such an epic journey! I agree with your point about travel not changing you but making you more you. I think you can only be a fraction of your potential if you get sucked into a routine lifestyle.
Arianwen recently posted..Bad news Brazil: attempted molestations and muggings

Kim April 29, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Arianwen. I feel like I understand myself, and know myself, so much better after this year of travel. It’s amazing what you learn about yourself when you’re constantly in situations you’ve never been in before.

Sarah Somewhere April 29, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Congratulations Kim! To not be touching your savings – extra congrats, I understand how exciting that must be!! You did it, you are doing it, and I am convinced it will only get better from here!! I can relate to so much of what you have written – it’s time to take stock and celebrate!!!
Sarah Somewhere recently posted..On Freedom

Kim April 29, 2013 at 7:42 pm

It is BEYOND exciting. I’m obsessed with it now. I’m like “we WILL eat the 100 rupee veg noodles for dinner AGAIN tonight” (because they’re cheaper of course). But so happy to be making it work and excited to work on some projects that will take things to the next level. XO

Lindsey April 29, 2013 at 5:30 pm

This spoke so much to me Kim, especially as I’m at my own point of needing to be desperately brave. I’ve followed your journey from the beginning and admired you both so much. You are the person I hope to ‘grow up’ into, and I can tell that you’re going to keep growing and thriving as your journey continues. All the best for you both in the years to come!
Lindsey recently posted..ANZAC Day on Patonga Beach

Kim April 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Lindsey, that is such an amazing compliment, thank you. I will send my brave vibes your way. From my own experience the fear is often stronger than the reality of the situation, if that makes sense. In other words, being brave initially is a very hard thing to do, but it gets easier down the road.

tr4velgeek April 30, 2013 at 4:52 am

A year of living your job and traveling ! Salute !! I daydream of doing what you are doing, every day, on my work desk :) I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Thank you! So much hard work in front of me but it is such an amazing thing working hard for myself. I just hope I can keep it up. Thanks for reading :)

Darcy April 30, 2013 at 7:13 am

I came across your blog through a twitter post by gettingstamped. I started reading this post outloud to my husband (we constantly throw the idea around of full-time travel, and are currently looking for a way to take the leap you did) I lasted two sentences before I broke down in sobs. The first few paragraphs of this blog are written so well, and are as if you took the words out of my mouth. Thank you for sharing your story, and making me believe that there is hope. I am a personal trainer and just started a blog http://www.theworldismygym.wordpress.com and hope to one day fund our travel like you through blogging and fitness training around the world. However, we have a 4 yr old Morkie, and I don’t know how you left the pups!! We can’t last a week w/o our little guy!

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Believe me, it was so hard to leave the pups. It was the thing I cried about the most. But knowing they are well loved and happy (and we get to skype with them) has made it much easier.

It would be so amazing to do fitness training around the world. When I did the Rickshaw Run there was a team called the Yoga Slackers who travel the world teaching yoga and slacklining (I think). You should check it out… I know it is their full time job.

Jaime April 30, 2013 at 7:17 am

I’ve been reading for several months now but this is my first comment. I just wanted to say, as many already have, you and Brian are truly an inspiration. My girlfriend and I have dreamed of doing this for years and have decided to make it a reality. We face so many challenges–what to do with our 3 dogs, how can we live in Portland and save a ton instead of buying all of that delicious beer :), how do we simply walk away from well paying jobs, etc… We’ve accomplished one major move before, from GA to Portland, but this feels so much harder and a bit like a pipe dream. Thanks for the blog, it helps to know that others have faced and overcome the same challenges and that this can be a reality!

Jaime

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Haha, Jamie, I understand the challenges! There are so many challenges that at first I thought they were impossible. Just take it one step at a time. I know that sounds like such simple advice but it is the only way to do it. You will get there.

Ashley April 30, 2013 at 7:58 am

This post was absolutely amazing and what I needed to hear! I am reading this from my cubicle and trying to plot my escape…I had to share your a small section of your story on my blog because it is so absolutely inspiring! Hope you don’t mind :)
Ashley recently posted..so many places

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Thank you Ashley!! So glad that it has been able to inspire you to continue plotting… :)

saoconnor1@comcast.net April 30, 2013 at 7:59 am

I would highly recommend the Camino. I biked it with some from (from Leon to Santiago) in September 2000. Best thing I ever did!

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I didn’t know you could bike it! It is at the top of our list…

Jennifer April 30, 2013 at 9:13 am

I’m so glad that you’ve been able to make it work. I’ve just got back to the UK after a 6 month RTW trip and I am going back to my cubicle next week as I really need a steady income coming in so I can buy a house. Im going to continue travel blogging and fingers crossed one day I’ll be able to do it full time!
Jennifer recently posted..Uyuni Salt Flats Tour – Choosing A Tour Operator

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Best of luck Jennifer. I found I had a lot of time to think of blog posts while I was in my cubicle :)

Montecristo Travels (Sonja) April 30, 2013 at 9:46 am

Trying to get on the road … or in our case on the waves I guess! Your blog has helped us stay focused and know we CAN do it. I want to earn more income writing but struggle with how to go about that. I may contact you if that is alright?

In any case you ARE an inspiration. Know that. You are doing your life’s work. Kudos to you for living. For really, honestly living. You are one of the few bloggers out there I would love to meet and I do hope that our paths cross someday. Maybe once you head towards Europe… By the way Bulgaria … World’s BEST kept secret.

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Thank you so much Sonja. I do hope our paths cross as well out there someday.

Rhonda April 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I am nearly in tears right now because I ABSOLUTELY understand this:

When Jim & I were about 3 months or so into our RTW and loving it Jim turned to me one day and said ‘I finally feel as if I found myself again”.. after a few years of the losses of family and pets, several unfortunate job issues, and an injured back, he was desperately in need of rediscovering what feeling alive meant. Perhaps that is why we fell so in love with India, because in spite of the challenges of traveling there, we have never felt more alive. Thank you for so eloquently putting into words that wonderful feeling of remembering your authentic self!
Rhonda recently posted..Foto Friday

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Rhonda, I just love that story and that Jim had that insight. You guys are the best!!! Seriously, I just can’t wait to see you again when we are in PDX (we will get to see you, right?). XOXOX

Rhonda May 1, 2013 at 7:31 am

Well you better make time for us when you’re here in PDX!!!! Can’t wait to hear some of your stories from the road in person over a good beer:)
Rhonda recently posted..Foto Friday

Kim May 1, 2013 at 9:33 am

You know we will!!! The Lucky Lab is calling :)

Rhonda May 1, 2013 at 2:35 pm

It’s a date!
Rhonda recently posted..Foto Friday

Steve Whitty April 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Congratulations Kim on reaching your first anniversary. I have enjoyed reading both yours and Brian’s tales on your blogs. I hope that you carry on living the dream. You may notice that I also reached a milestone on my blog. In the meantime I raise to you both.
Steve Whitty recently posted..I am 1

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Thank you so much Steve. And congrats on your 1st birthday :)

Krystin Castro April 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Its been a year already!! Congrats Kim & Brian- so glad you followed your hearts!

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Krystin :)

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures April 30, 2013 at 2:26 pm

CONGRATS!!!!! What an incredible year it has been for you!

Kim April 30, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Thank you Andi. It has been wonderful.

william chaney April 30, 2013 at 4:10 pm

the smile tells the story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i was going to suggest u try selling your stories because u write and sound just like a journalist but i see u are already doing that.maybe we will see your articles in nat geo or one of the big travel magazines.if u dont mind me asking,the places u have been so far india,nepal and the others just approx. how much dont it cost to live or survive a day doing what u are doing!!!!!!!be safe and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim April 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I can’t tell you how wonderful it would be to see my articles in Nat Geo :)

William, the cost of each place has really varied. I will try my best to list approximately how much we spent per person per day.

First off, India and Nepal are pretty cheap relatively speaking. I would say, a guess off the top of my head, we spend about $25 per person per day. Same is true with Ecuador. I think about $25 per person per day.

In Chile and Argentina and Brazil it was much more than that. Those countries have prices closer to U.S. prices. Of course, in Brazil we spent most of our time in Rio… but with a guess off the top of my head I would say we spent more like $50 per person per day.

Here is a link to a great resource. Jodi compiles a long list of people who have written blog posts about their expenses in certain countries: http://www.legalnomads.com/wds#budget

Tyrhone April 30, 2013 at 8:35 pm

“I thought: Maybe one year will do it?”. I had the same thing going through my head when we left, I think for some people it would be enough, but for the rest of us, once you taste this lifestyle it feels like you couldn’t live any other way. Congratulations on a year of the best thing you ever did for yourself :)
Tyrhone recently posted..Going To The Doctor In Mexico, Because Of Goggles

Kim April 30, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Yeah, it definitely just feels like the beginning… like I’m just beginning to understand all of what this life could be and what it might look like. Thanks Tyrhone. And congrats to you and Sarah for making it work as well.

Jessica Hill May 1, 2013 at 3:26 am

Congrats on finishing up one year, and deciding not to give up your dreams for societal pressures. I found your post really inspiring. I’m finishing up nearly 18 months of travel, with a plane ticket booked for home, and a spot in a masters degree program come fall. There have been several moments when I thought I’m excited, even ready, to go home, go back to school, get a routine, get my dog back. Now, that it’s near (only two weeks!), I’m finding myself hesitant to go. However, one of the things that always drags my mind home is my puppy. How do you do it??
Jessica Hill recently posted..His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Person

Kim May 1, 2013 at 4:02 am

It is hard and I miss the dogs a lot but I know they are happy and living a good life with our family so I’m okay. In fact, they have it better than they ever did when they lived with us because Brian’s parents are retired and home with them all day! But it is hard and it is a major draw of going home, that’s for sure. Enjoy your final two weeks and everything that comes next.

Jessica Hill May 3, 2013 at 8:09 am

You’re right. My pup is in a better place now than he was last time I left him, and I’ve found it a lot easier to be away knowing he’s happy/safe. Enjoy getting to see yours while you’re home!
Jessica Hill recently posted..Life & Death Along the Ghats of Varanasi, India

Kim May 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Yes, knowing that they are happy makes all the difference.

Bex May 1, 2013 at 4:21 am

You are the Amercian version of me! Everything you’ve said resonates…bravo, well done for ‘bucking convention’ and living YOUR life, not the life everybody expects you to lead.

I look forward to more of your tales – in the meantime, take a look at my site http://www.leavingcairo.com for the scoop on what a British girl does when she’s only just the right side of 40 and bucks societal expectations.

:0)

Kim May 1, 2013 at 4:37 am

Thanks Bex, I will check out your blog. It sounds like a fun one.

Ali May 1, 2013 at 4:24 am

Can’t believe it’s been a year already! Sounds like it’s been an incredible year with more great experiences to come. I’m so happy for you that you’re making enough money now to support your travels and even save a little. If you spend more time in SE Asia after your Vietnam trip in December, maybe we will run into you again. We’re really hoping to go somewhere warm for December through February, and SE Asia is at the top of our list at the moment. Really looking forward to reading about your trip in year two!
Ali recently posted..Beyond Vacation Kick-Off Itinerary Part 1

Kim May 1, 2013 at 4:38 am

That would be so amazing if we were in SE Asia at the same time. I’m already dreaming of it…

Kiera @EasyTravelMom May 1, 2013 at 5:33 am

I totally know what you mean about being “more me” when you’ve made that decision and are living it! I was still single (and just over 10 years ago!) that I did the same and it changed me forever, as it sounds like it has for you and your husband. I look forward to continuing reading about your adventures and when in Ohio, feel free to look me up! Somehow my travels took me here for the last 5 years! Of course I do escape quite a bit :)
Kiera @EasyTravelMom recently posted..Tips on Planning Kids Activities while Traveling

Kim May 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

Sounds like you’ve had plenty of exciting adventures of your own. Where are you in Ohio? It would be fun to meet for lunch :)

Betsy Talbot May 1, 2013 at 6:43 am

Congratulations! It’s a beautiful way of life, isn’t it? Warren and I are planning to walk the Camino next April…so maybe we’ll finally meet in person. :)
Betsy Talbot recently posted..One Year Marriage Contract (Podcast #7)

Kim May 1, 2013 at 9:33 am

Absolutely, I can’t complain ;) It would be fun to finally meet in person.

Jessica @ A Passion and a Passport May 1, 2013 at 7:27 pm

wow- what an amazing year you must have had. So inspired by you. And your writing- WOW! Amazing. I read every single word of this piece. Congrats on one year, and many many more (until you decide no more, if ever!)
Jessica @ A Passion and a Passport recently posted..Z is for ZOO: The Most Unique in the World

Kim May 2, 2013 at 12:53 am

Thanks so much Jessica. Here’s to many, many more!

Paul Farrugia (globalhelpswap) May 2, 2013 at 6:08 am

Wow, one year on the road! Fantastic Kim & Brian! When we got to a year we managed to extend it by another 6 months but like you guys we felt that we were at the beginning not the end. 1 year later we are still living the life we want. I am sure you two will too! Good luck!!!

Paul
Paul Farrugia (globalhelpswap) recently posted..Welcome to Planet Earth: an all inclusive planet

Kim May 2, 2013 at 9:01 am

Thanks Paul. We can’t believe it has been a year already. It’s so nice to hear stories from others that have kept it going.

Lauren May 2, 2013 at 7:41 am

I can’t wait to read more about your Camino! I’m starting the Camino Frances in SJPP in just over a month! Your blog has been such an inspiration for me- it’s a large part of why I’m comfortable enough to undertake something like this. Thanks for doing what you do!

Kim May 2, 2013 at 9:02 am

Oh, that sounds wonderful. Enjoy every step!! I’m so glad that SMP has been able to lend some inspiration. It’s the highest honor.

Kaitie Ries May 2, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Hello!

I’m not sure if you saw this, but it has a ton of really good tips about walking the camino. And hey, the tip about wearing women’s stockings under your socks to avoid blisters can come in handy at anytime!

Kim May 2, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Thanks Kaitie. I hadn’t seen it but will definitely check it out.

Christi May 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I love reading your blog – such an adventure! That is great that you are pursuing your dream with such gusto!

Kim May 2, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Thanks so much Christi. And thanks for reading!

Nicole @ Suitcase Stories May 3, 2013 at 7:44 am

Congrats on your one year! I have been following you for almost the whole time and its been an amazing journey, and very inspiring to say the least. We also recently celebrated our 1 year o the road and like you, want to keep living this lifestyle for as long as we can. Good luck to you both with your future travels and I look forward to coming along for the ride!
Nicole @ Suitcase Stories recently posted..Six Experts Answer Your House Sitting Questions (Part 2)

Kim May 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Thanks so much Nicole. Good luck to you both on your future travels as well. Maybe our paths will cross sometime?

Vicky May 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Congrats on 1 year! We’ll be nearing 1 year since we left our jobs in September! Hard to believe we’ve been gone and traveling for 8 months already! What I always find surprising is while it feels like we’ve been away from friends and family for so long everytime we talk to them it seems like not much has changed, people are still working the same jobs, leading the same lives – complete different from the pace we keep and all the adventures/experiences we have had. So in the end it really doesn’t feel like we’re missing out on all that much at all!
Vicky recently posted..A Couple Travelers By The Numbers: April ’13 Income – $5106

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:18 am

You probably aren’t!!! We keep talking about how things will probably pretty much be the same (not for us though, since we feel changed) when we go home for three months this summer. It will certainly be interested to see what has happened and how we fit ourselves back into that life for a little while.

TammyOnTheMove May 8, 2013 at 1:25 am

How quickly a year has gone by. You have definitely done the right thing and I can understand that you want to continue traveling. Congrats on being able to support your travels through your writing. That is awesome. And I am saying that from a selfish point of view so I can continue reading your blog. :-)
TammyOnTheMove recently posted..Flashback Friday: The time a shaman spat in my face

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:24 am

Thanks Tammy :)

Gina May 18, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I’m glad to hear you are still enjoying your life after a year on the road! I can’t wait to get back out there again.
Gina recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Transportation in China

Kim May 24, 2013 at 6:38 am

It just keeps getting better :)

Amy May 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Great reflections on your first year of travel. I remember finding your blog when I was sat in my own cubicle in London, desperately saving and planning for my own trip but fearing I’d never be able to pull it off – you and other travel bloggers kept me believing I could get out on the road. I really like the way your blog has developed over the year too; the look and style of the content have really evolved nicely.
Amy recently posted..Attack of the Bedbugs

Kim May 28, 2013 at 12:17 am

Thank you Amy!! I remember being so worried that I wouldn’t know how to write once we got out on the road, but the experiences we have out here are constantly feeding me with new ideas, descriptions, and feelings which I try my best to transcribe. I, too, pulled energy from other travelers who’d gone before me, believing that if they could do it I could do it too. And I could!

Kar May 30, 2013 at 3:35 am

Amazing post Kim, it must have been seriously difficult to take that leap of faith when leaving behind your job security, family, friends and everything else in order to travel.

Kim May 30, 2013 at 8:14 am

It was difficult and scary but absolutely worth it.

Peter Korchnak June 14, 2013 at 9:40 am

Congratulations, Kim. My wife Lindsay and I are about to embark on our yearlong RTW trip (from Portland, Oregon, no less) and your one-year update is a great inspiration. I’m interested in learning more about how you support your travels with your writing because I want to do the same.

I walked the last 210 kilometers of the Camino in 1998: a spiritual experience even for an atheist like me. I heartily recommend it. There’s nothing like experiencing a place on foot.

Kim June 15, 2013 at 12:50 am

Congrats to you Peter on your big trip. I’m excited for you!!!

If you want to send me an email at kim.somanyplaces (@) gmail.com I can send you more info about writing

Peter Korchnak June 14, 2013 at 10:35 am

PS: Sorry about the broken link in the earlier comment. It should be http://WhereIsYourToothbrush.com.
Peter Korchnak recently posted..Travelin’ light: What I’m packing for the RTW trip

Lauren @ Roamingtheworld June 28, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful! So happy for you that you took the leap of faith and life is showing you it’s possible to live your dreams!

Kim June 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thanks Lauren. It has been quite a ride so far.

Rayn July 31, 2013 at 7:19 am

Outstanding! My husband and I has decided to take this leap of faith as well. Please wish us luck!!

Kim August 1, 2013 at 7:15 am

Good luck! I don’t think you’ll have regrets.

Tyanajones October 7, 2013 at 5:28 am

This looks awesome. You seem to have had an awesome trip. Excellent writing and photographs.I really appreciate with this post, Keep posting such kind of things always. Thanks
Tyanajones recently posted..Pushkar – The Holy City