Welcome to our little home in Palolem, India

by Kim on February 13, 2013 · 101 comments

It has been nine months since Brian and I have had a place to call home. Nine months of constant moving. We spent three months in a tent in the U.S. National Parks, five months sleeping in a cornucopia of South American beds, and three weeks in the guest houses of northern India. We needed a home like Linus needs his blanket.

So we found one. A perfect little apartment, fifteen minutes walk from Palolem and Patnem beaches in southern Goa. It’s incredibly low-key and peaceful here. Monkeys play in the trees above our balcony. Cows meander slowly down the street.

I am reveling in the small things. I take great joy in leaving my toothbrush on the sill, drinking coffee on my couch, and saying things like “I’m tired, do you want to go home now?” instead of “I’m tired, do you want to go back to our hostel and do you by chance remember where it is? No? Me neither.”

Home. A place to unwind. It feels so deliciously good to be here.

Please, let me show you around.

The keys to our apartment in Goa

The keys to our little apartment

Our street in Patnum

Our street in Patnem

My toothbrush in it's home

My toothbrush’s home

My office

My office

Our bedroom

Our bedroom

Our balcony

Our balcony

My bookshelf

My bookshelf

Our neighbor

Our neighbor

Ganesha our one and only decoration

Our only decoration. Ganesh, the overcomer of obstacles.

Our scooter

Our scooter

Patnum Beach

Patnem Beach where I take morning runs and evening walks

A popular way to spend the day

A popular Patnem past time

Our laundry mat

Our laundromat

A favorite place to write in Palolem

A favorite breakfast spot

A boat on Palolem Beach

Palolem Beach

Our welcoming committee

Our welcoming committee. This sweet girl greets us as we come and go from our apartment.

These sleepy streets are home for the next two months as I devote myself to writing and Brian devotes himself to the Game of Thrones series. Afterwards? There is more of India to explore. But for now we are here to rest. To be.

***

Life On Fire ebook coverStart living your dreams today. Learn how with my book Life On Fire: A Step-By-Step Guide To Living Your Dreams.

Tracy February 13, 2013 at 9:47 am

Love the pictures! I would happily live on that quiet little street and go to the Holiday Inn for breakfast. How did you find this place? Did it take a lot of searching?

Kim February 13, 2013 at 10:02 am

Good question! We were introduced to someone who was living there (in another apartment), called the landlord, and moved in the next day. Super easy. It seems that most places are word of mouth. Also, there are signs hanging up here and there that say “house for rent.” One thing to note: everything in India is done by cell phone. So, if you’re looking for a place it helps to have a cell phone because sending an email won’t get you anywhere.

Patti February 13, 2013 at 9:57 am

The beach looks so calming, so inviting. I could use a little warm weather right now. Thanks for sharing the apartment pics, it looks really nice and it must feel good to stay put for a while and not “have” to get up and go each day. And isn’t it nice to have a table AND chair for your laptop? I also really enjoyed the pic of your neighbor! Ha! Thanks for sharing Kim!

Kim February 13, 2013 at 10:02 am

Oh yeah, my favorite part of the whole place is the “desk” (which is also the dining room table, what whatever). Love, love, love having this little home of our own. It’s heaven.

Amy February 13, 2013 at 9:57 am

Looks amazing and peaceful. Life is never going to viewed in quite the same way again!

Kim February 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

OMG that is the damn truth!

Pauline February 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

It must feel VERY NICE to finally settle down and have some breathing time after your crazy rickshaw run!! I hope you enjoy it! :)

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Oh man, it is very, VERY nice! Heaven here.

OurLifeExperiments February 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

Wow…that beach looks like an amazing place to run! :o) Happy running!

Maria

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm

It’s a great place to run! I have a “jungle” run too that I like to do- it has hills. Great running here, really.

Krystin Castro February 13, 2013 at 11:33 am

You will love the next 2 months what a great little spot! Enjoy! Happy Running too!

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Thanks Krystin. I miss running with you!

Ngina February 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

How lovely! I can almost feel the breeze coming from that bedroom window…i know..all in my mind!:)

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Hehe, it’s so hot we can’t leave the windows open! The breeze off the water is nice though.

Alex February 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Hi Kim and Brian,

Nice to see y’all found a home! Question – what do folks do for music around there? Is there any live entertainment? Local kids playing cool instruments? Seems like a great place to have an impromptu jam.

Anyway, enjoy! and toodles!

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:17 pm

There is some live music. Some restaurants have live music and open mic nights. There are sometimes drum circles on the beach. Last night at dinner a man was playing his guitar and singing. It’s nice!

Sarah Ram February 13, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Looks idyllic! How long did it take for your bodies – and minds – to change gear? Your Rickshaw Run looked like my idea of hell – but this place looks like heaven. I really admire your ability to adapt so quickly to each new environment – you’re inspiring me to move out of my comfort zone more often!

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Sarah, it took me about two weeks after the Rickshaw Run to really settle into the slower pace. But now I’m afraid I never want to leave it!

Mark February 13, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Thanking You
Thank You for your lovely descriptive writing and insights into India. The RICKSHAW RUN was the best!!! You made me laugh so many times.
I ‘m following Wandering Earl and picked up on “So Many Places”, you and Earl have inspired me. India has always been in the back of my mind for a LONG while. I (traveled South America in 1978-79) and at one point traveled 3 weeks without meeting another Gringo (I was in Colombia, may been the reason back then who knows?) also a hand full of other Countries in the mean time. Anyway I’m retiring this year, I’ll be 60 and have decided to hit the road once again (I still don’t have any more money than I did then). I’ve been nervous, to head out on my own not knowing anything about India, worried about my age, whether or not there are any other old grits traveling etc. Long and short of it I’ve singed up with Earl on his next trip to India Oct /Nov to get my feet wet again, and then we will see where life and the road takes me. Also looking into the Rickshaw Run just have to find a couple of other crazy’s. Let me know if you hear of any.
Bla Bla Bla
Thanks for the inspiration !!

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Mark! I am so excited for you. I bet you will love India. And I can tell you that I have met many people of all ages here in India. In fact, I meet more older people than younger here, so you will not feel out of place. Earl’s trip will be wonderful! If you need any advice from me please just let me know. Oh, and, do the rickshaw run!!!! There is nothing else quite like it.

Mark February 15, 2013 at 10:14 am

Thanks’ for the support Kim I’m sure I’ll have a few questions….soon. I was really excited reading about the rickshaw run and the few people that I told about it looked at me like I had two heads ….even thinking about going to Indi. Sometimes you just waste you breathe on people and it’s not worth trying to explain it to non travelers. I know traveling can be difficult and trying at times. I know in the past at one point I was ready to book an two week all-abusive holiday, after a trying week or so but then someone or something happens along that restores your faith in human kind.
TTYS

Kim February 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Oh, I totally get it! I got a lot of those looks when I told people about India. (In fact, when I told people about the Rickshaw Run a few people BEGGED me not to do it, and they were both Indian). Just do it!!! You won’t regret it ever, but you will regret it if you stay home.

Kristin February 14, 2013 at 8:29 am

HI Mark – just saw your post. I’ve been to India twice for several months at a shot and love it! It’s a place I’ll always go back to. Good luck with your trip and starting with a tour is an excellent idea. Here’s a post I wrote on how to plan a trip to India. Sounds like you are off to a great start, so just some pointers to think about. http://takeyourbigtrip.com/2011/01/30/planning-trip-india/

Mark February 15, 2013 at 9:55 am

Thanks Kristin
I’ll be all over your “planning-trip-india” and an sure I have a few question’s. TTYS

David February 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm

If I understand well, the 3 of you (Sarah, Hannah & Kim) are safely settled at ‘Home’ and are blogging about travelling around the World, so funny! So, what you really needed was being far away from a full time job, having a beach not too far, and be with your boyfriends (almost) 24/7….;))))
Life…can be good!
David

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I blogged about traveling around the world before I ever left too, so I guess that’s nothing new for me. Hannah has been settled in India for six months. But, yes, ‘home’ is an important thing to find out on the road I think. Some people do just move non-stop for years and years but I have no idea how they do it without going crazy. For me, I’ve found that my travels will need to be a series of “homes” if I am going to make traveling sustainable over the long-haul.

David February 14, 2013 at 5:32 am

I should have add that I envy your guts to LIVE fully now instead of waiting a retreat after giving all of your best years to the Big Machine not knowing if good health will still be on your side…and I’m sure the breaks will keep you longer on the road!
Have a good run on the beach for me!

Kim February 14, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thanks David :) I do think the breaks will keep up us on the road (and keep us passionate about staying out there!)

Wendy February 13, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Is there a guest bed? Im squatting right in the middle of you two! It looks amazing. Im so excited to just be….with you. Love you tons. See you in 10 days!

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm

There will be a big, wonderful mattress on the floor. And we can take lots of naps on the beach! CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU.

Gillian @OneGiantStep February 13, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Oh…we should have gone to Goa…that looks LOVELY!!

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Yes! You’ll make it here eventually :)

Maddie February 13, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Looks fabulous Kim! I’ve never been interested in visiting India but your little corner of Goa looks idyllic… maybe one day. Have fun enjoying home comforts and having the time to focus on your writing.

Kim February 13, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I was never interested in India either but I love it here. My favorite place so far. Give it a shot someday Maddie, it is a place like no other.

Rhonda February 13, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Looks like a lovely, sweet life. Enjoy your time in that remarkable area.

Kim February 14, 2013 at 1:43 am

Thanks Rhonda. It is a very lovely (just wish we had our doggies with us)

Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) February 13, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I know India can be anything but, however your little abode looks so charming and restorative! It’s amazing how having several rooms of one’s own (Virgina Woolf obviously wasn’t a traveler!) can be so vital; we’ve only had one apartment since leaving, and then for only a week, but it was amazing to just be able to stretch out and take everything out of our bags and feel like that we had a place to nest for a bit. Private rooms in hostels & hotels are great and all, but I think as travelers we crave space and freedom, and an apartment feels more like a place to roost than it does a cage.

Hannah February 13, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Looking forward to our beer and movie night in your lovely little apartment :)

Tyrhone February 14, 2013 at 7:56 am

Your home looks lovely, glad you get to have a well earned rest.

And try not to disturb Brian while he watches Game of Thrones, it is a fabulous series that deserves his full attention.

Kim February 14, 2013 at 8:36 am

He’s READING it!

Jen Ryder February 15, 2013 at 12:10 am

I hope he’s reading it on a Kindle. Those books are huge! But worth the read :) Your for now home looks amazing, enjoy!

Kim February 15, 2013 at 3:53 am

No kidding! He lugged the first two around in paperback but now he’s converted to Kindle.

Kristin February 14, 2013 at 8:19 am

Palolem is one of my favorite places in India! Have a wonderful time settling in there and your new home looks beautiful :)

Kim February 14, 2013 at 8:36 am

It’s wonderful. I am so in love with India.

Steve Whitty February 14, 2013 at 10:51 am

Enjoy the rest. Could not think of a better place to take a break.

Kim February 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Steve. We’re enjoying it already…

Steve C February 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Kim / Brian Home; it has a nice ring to it! Home is more than just a bedroom with bathroom. Even if you just make coffee, and cut fruit, having a “kitchen” is what makes it a home.
Back when we were traveling, we sort of got into the routine of staying for at least a week wherever we went. As soon as we’d walk into our room, we’d completely unpack our packs, folding clothes and putting them into drawers, and hanging shirts on hangers in the closet. The empty packs would be shoved under the bed, out of sight. Presto, we’re home! In downtown New Delhi, I even cleaned our window where the morning sun came streaming in. It was so dirty, you could hardly see out. I even brought down several potted plants from the roof and placed them on our balcony in front of the window. It felt like we were in a jungle, right in the middle of the city! We also hung several posters on our walls. The owners got quite a kick out of those crazy Americans.
Brian, I like your wheels!

Kim February 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm

That’s a good idea. We need to unpack our bags more, even if we’re just staying for short periods of time. Digging through my bag has begun to drive me insane. I am so happy to have those things tucked under the bed where I don’t have to see them for awhile.

Love that you cleaned your window in Delhi. I am not surprised that it was so dirty you couldn’t see through it!

Dani February 14, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I like your neighbor :) Be careful though not to upset him ;-) A great little place you found there – it won’t be easy to leave it, I assume. We had such good food in Palolem – really missing Indian food here in Patagonia… like you had warned us, we’re living on pizza and other bread/cheese combos :D

Kim February 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Dani! I have been running by large herds of cows and I do so very cautiously after hearing Jess’s story!! Sorry the Patagonia food stinks (I know it stinks). Have you been to El Chalten yet? I can recommend some good food there.

Pernilla February 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

What a great little spot! Looks like the perfect place to spend the next couple of months.

Kim February 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Pernilla. It’s wonderful.

Sarah Somewhere February 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I love all the comments! Especially the one from the guy who cleaned the window in Delhi. That is so awesome. Brian is reading Game of Thrones? Ha! Didn’t even know it was a book!! Have you started God of Small Things Yet? Love your home Kim, you have been so creative and productive there I’m sure you’ll always have fond memories of it :)

Kim February 14, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Oh yes, it is a book series. I’ve read three of them and think they’re tough work but Brian loves them.

I just finished “The God of Small Things” a few days ago. I loved it! Such amazing writing. Such a sad story.

Jenny Kempe February 14, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Kim, your place is a mansion! Glass table and wi-fi! I’m hope I will be invited over to drink some wine at that glass table soooon. :-)

Kim February 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

You are welcome any time! And we will do a movie night (with wine) very, very soon.

Sofie February 15, 2013 at 3:07 am

Looks like a good place to get some rest.
I was first thinking that I would get bored if I stayed in a place like that for two months, but now thinking about it… it probably wouldn’t be such a great idea to go somewhere where there’s loooooots to see and do if you just want to be for a while:)

Kim February 15, 2013 at 3:54 am

I worried about the same thing but so far I’m not bored at all! Sometimes I just lay on the bed in the afternoon and read. I haven’t done that since I was in high school on summer break. It’s so lovely.

Andy February 15, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Great photos. This looks awesome. I could do some serious beach time in that little spot!

Kim February 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm

It’s pretty wonderful!

Karen February 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Oh my God, you look so happy in that picture! I love it. Sounds like just the thing you needed right now. Looks clean comfortable and the beach is great!! Enjoy!
Karen

Kim February 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Yes, it is all of those things and it is wonderful :) Thanks Karen!

David @ That Gay Backpacker February 16, 2013 at 1:06 am

Although I’m in Thailand, I find myself thinking about India all the time. And I really mean the time even though I’ve only been to Kerala. I can’t wait to explore more as this spot is going on my list F’SURE.

Kim February 16, 2013 at 5:14 am

Oh man, I get it. India just sort of grabs on to you and doesn’t let go. I love it so much. And you must add Palolem and Patnem to your list of places to visit. So beautiful here!

Paul (globalhelpswap) February 17, 2013 at 8:47 pm

We have just got a little flat in Ko Lanta and feel the same. It’s so nice to have “your” own place for a while. Enjoy!

Kim February 17, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Ah, we’ll be making our own home in Thailand someday (that is Thailand, right?). Enjoy “home”!

TammyOnTheMove February 18, 2013 at 11:31 pm

What a great little place. And that beach-wow. I am not surprised you wanted to settle there for a while. I might come and join you. :-)

Kim February 18, 2013 at 11:43 pm

You should! It is a seriously wonderful place.

Alison February 19, 2013 at 1:50 am

What a calming place to be! It looks so serene. Enjoy resting. :)

Kim February 19, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thanks Alison, I definitely am enjoying it.

Bethany ~ twoOregonians February 19, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Ahh, I can imagine that breath of relief! There’s something so comforting about a dedicated, calm space to call your own. I’m missing our apartment in Buenos Aires right now – we were there a year ago and I remember so loving the chance to hang our clothes in the closet and leave our toothbrush in the bathroom (love that picture, by the way!) and have a neighborhood once again. So happy for you guys. xx

Kim February 19, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Ah, yes, a neighborhood! I hadn’t even realized that I love having a neighborhood. It’s all so lovely :) Hope Oregon is treating you guys well. I can’t believe it’s been a year already.

Chrystal McKay February 19, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I totally think Brian has the better end of that deal. Game of Thrones – AWESOME. The unfortunate tropical storm that passed through Brisbane for 5 days straight gave me time to RE-watch all Game of Thrones. It was GREAT. Time well spent. Have fun writing! I took forward to the outcome.

Kim February 19, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Haha, I think Brian would agree with you!

Thomas @ JourneyScout February 20, 2013 at 2:59 am

Wow that looks like a great little setup you have there! Similar to when I was living in Koh Tao, isn’t it just amazingly free to be able to work on your laptop as and when you want in such peaceful surroundings!? I miss it.

Kim February 20, 2013 at 4:18 am

Oh man, it’s so amazing. Work, work, work, then a little swim in the ocean, work some more, a walk on the beach… pure heaven.

Thomas @ JourneyScout February 20, 2013 at 4:25 am

Careful, you included work twice in a day there! :) Don’t overdo it.

Kim February 20, 2013 at 5:17 am

Haha. Touche!

Emma February 27, 2013 at 6:06 pm

There is nothing quite like having your own space when away. I absolutely love your house, totally inspired to go to India now. Your blog keeps getting better and better, you have a great voice and I love reading your posts. Can’t wait to see what happens next.

Kim February 28, 2013 at 5:58 am

Ah, you should come! I think India is just wonderful. And thank you for your kind words- they’re the kind that keep me going :)

Kanika March 7, 2013 at 2:42 am

Hi Kim,

I really loved your blog concept. Especially the pictures.. they are so original. Being an Indian I m really touched. Moreover its not about being Indian, it is your passion that I loved the most. I really appreciate that

Thanks for the wonderful post.

Kim March 10, 2013 at 3:18 am

Thanks so much Kanika. India is a wonderful country.

Jamie March 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I like your home very much. It makes me want to live in India. I am in Turkey now and I don’t like it half as much as your photos. I sense it is time for me to move. Hello India…?
Jamie recently posted..The Billion Dollar Question

Kim March 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I think you would love it here! Thought it is very, very hot and the monsoon will come in June. Best time here at the beach is October- April.

Rachel June 4, 2013 at 1:48 am

Hey Kim,

I love this! So much, in fact, that I’m thinking of spending a month in June/July (monsoon, I know) in Goa… Hopefully in a wee place like yours. Any idea if it’s practical to organize something ahead of time, or should I just show up?

Any tips would be smashing.
Rachel recently posted..City of the Month: Bagan

Kim June 4, 2013 at 7:12 am

Hi Rachel,

Nope, I don’t think you need to organize a thing beforehand… there should be plenty of places available. I bet there are spaces in the apartment we lived in so if you need more info let me know.

Rachel June 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

Thanks a million for getting back to me so quickly– some info on your apartment would actually be fantastic! If it’s easier, you can email me at rach-ach@hotmail.com.
Rachel recently posted..City of the Month: Bagan

Kim June 5, 2013 at 12:47 am

Hi Rachel,

The apartment is called Le Palolem and it is in Colomb Bay between Patnem and Palolem. If you get in a cab and say “Le Palolem apartments” no one will know what it is but if you say “Garuda Residency” they will know exactly where it is… and Le Palolem is right next door. You can find the phone number via a google search, I think the apartments are listed on Airbnb. Good luck!

Rachel June 25, 2013 at 8:30 am

Hey Kim ,

Thanks for getting me in touch with Le Palolem — I’ve been here for a couple of weeks now, and am absolutely loving it. Even (or especially, in some ways) in monsoon, Palolem is a pretty fantastic wee place.

Cheers!
Rachel recently posted..Yeti Budgets: India

Kim June 25, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Ah, I’m so glad you are there! It’s a pretty special place, isn’t it? I really love it and miss it. Enjoy it for me.

Kim Kircher June 27, 2013 at 9:23 am

Kim,

I’m new here and so glad I found your site. (I found you via Torre Roche’s Fearful Adventurer post). I love the graphics, the writing and of course your amazing adventures. I look forward to delving into the “new here” archives. Plus, I’m curious about what you’re writing. A travel memoir, perhaps? Hope so.
Kim Kircher recently posted..Rowing Across the Atlantic

Kim June 27, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hi Kim, welcome! I’m glad you found the blog. I am working on a travel memoir of sorts. It’s called “The Yellow Envelope” and is about an amazing gift our friends gave to us before we left to travel the world. For a sneak preview you can read this post: http://www.so-many-places.com/2012/05/the-gift-that-changes-everything/. Nice to (virtually) meet you.

Ben February 16, 2014 at 12:10 pm

My wife and I just found your site and have been reading all we can in preparation for our upcoming trip. We’re planning on taking around a year to make a lap around the globe, but hoping to make it stretch for as long as possible! We’ve been talking about doing something really similar to this – traveling the north for a month or so and then settling into a spot around Goa for another month or two. I’m a writer as well, and this just looks like the most amazing setting to just stop and get some work done. I’m really curious how much the apartment cost? We’re looking to slow our trip down and stay put in some places to stretch time and money! Thanks so much, I really appreciate how practical and to the point your blog is!

Kim February 18, 2014 at 6:43 am

It is the best place to work! I was writing night and day I felt so inspired.

We payed $315 per month for the apartment and that included all utilities and wifi. It was a great place!

Marla May 5, 2014 at 8:51 am

England is cold and grey and we are planning what to do when we get older.. Then we realised we are old, both of us are approaching our 60’s and hopefully the winter of 2015 will see us ensconced in our own home from home in Patnem . We are planning our adventure to live in Goa, perhaps Buenos Aires too. It has been most inspiring to read your account of your time in India and the photos make us want to be there now..thank you

Kim May 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hi Maria, our apartment was right between Patnem and Palolem and it was wonderful. I think about it often and look forward to the day I can go back. Enjoy yourself there.