Rickshaw run update

by Kim on September 28, 2012 · 27 comments

It has been only two weeks since Sarah, Hannah and I announced that we’ll be participating in the 2013 Rickshaw Run to raise money for our charity of choice FRANK Water.

So much has happened in those two weeks. It’s amazing how, once you put something out into the universe like that, it can take on a life of it’s own. We’ve been so thrilled with the response to our hair-brained idea.

Below you’ll find a few updates from Team Namaste Outta My Way. I’ll be regularly sharing our progress here on So Many Places.

Update #1

In just two weeks time Team Namaste Outta My Way has reached 41 percent of our fundraising goal!! This is a big, huge, exciting development for us because I think we all secretly wondered if anyone besides our moms would donate (ahem, mom, that’s your cue).  We have been overwhelmed by all of your well-wishes and words of encouragement, kind emails and virtual cheers via Facebook. By donating to FRANK Water you are supporting our team and enabling a wonderful charity to do crucial work. Clean water is something that we often take for granted but cannot live without so thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Update #2

We are excited to announce that Wimdu and Atlas Cruises and Tours have signed on as an official supporters of Team Namaste Outta My Way!

Wimdu is a company that helps travelers book private accommodations all over the world. They have over 50,000 properties worldwide- from shared flats to apartments to houseboats. Wimdu gives travelers the opportunity to travel like locals by offering accommodations off the tourist track. Plus, renting personal accommodation can be much cheaper than staying in traditional hotels. Wimdu is a great service for travelers and we are so excited to have them on board.

Atlas Cruises and Tours is an experienced travel agency that works with only the most reputable tour companies to bring you the trip of a lifetime. Browse their destination section to research available  tours to some of the world’s best locations such as tours to Italy and tours to Australia. If tours aren’t your thing, visit their cruise section and search for a number of amazing cruises. Atlas Cruises and Tours is a fantastic company with over 25 years in the travel industry and we are thrilled to welcome them as a Rickshaw Run sponsor.

Update #3

Brian and I have bought our tickets to India! You’d think that this would have happened before I announced to the world that I’d be driving the length of India in a rickshaw, but ticket prices were outrageous. We spent weeks searching like madmen for the best deal and finally found tickets for about half of what we originally feared we’d have to spend.

Our tickets have us flying of out Rio de Janeiro on Christmas Eve and spending Christmas Day in a German airport. It’s not much of a merry Christmas, but India will be worth it.

We hadn’t originally planned on visiting Brazil but I’m learning that plans don’t mean too much when traveling- they’re constantly evolving and changing. So we are excited to fold Brazil into our South American itinerary and are tweaking our route south to include it. Our big task now is making sure that we secure Brazilian VISAs while we are in Buenos Aires. The process seems fairly straightforward but wish us luck anyways!

Some of you have asked what Brian will do while I’m winding my way down India in a Rickshaw. The answer is that we don’t know yet. He may go practice yoga or sign up for a silent retreat. He may rent a bungalow and hang out on the beach. The possibilities are endless but he is excited to have an adventure on his own.

All we know for sure is that, once the Rickshaw Run is over, Hannah, Sarah and I and our significant others will all be unwinding in our very own Indian abode graciously provided by Wimdu. I’m already looking forward it and know our bums will appreciate a little down time after fourteen bumpy days in a rickshaw.

Once again, thank you all for cheering us on as we plan and prepare for the Rickshaw Run. You can check out our Rickshaw Run Diaries website, like us on Facebook, or help us reach our fundraising goal by donating to FRANK Water.

Allison September 28, 2012 at 7:57 am

This is so exciting! YAY! Our next three-month stint away is looking more and more and more like it’s going to be India so I can’t wait to hear about your adventures throughout and post too!

I’m not sure if things have changed—or if this was ever the case for Americans as it was for Canadians—but in 2009 it was was quicker and easier to get Brazilian visas in Puerto Iguazu (24 hour turnaround time compared to a week).

Kim September 28, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Yay, when will your next three-month stint take place? Perhaps we’ll be in India at the same time??

Thanks for the tip about getting a visa in Puerto Iguazu (this is where the waterfall is, correct?) I will look in to it for sure.

Carmel September 28, 2012 at 8:40 am

Quick (dumb) question: When you’re on the road and have to secure a Visa in advance, how do you do that? I have only had to get a Visa once in my life and I was staying put in the same country for 6 months.

Kim September 28, 2012 at 12:59 pm

It isn’t a dumb question at all- I had to research it myself. Here is a helpful article: http://leaveyourdailyhell.com/2011/07/27/how-to-get-a-brazilian-visa-in-buenos-aires/.

Sarah Somewhere September 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

The image of you in an airport on Christmas day made me a little sad, but even more grateful for the sacrifices you are BOTH making for this adventure (and yes, I mean you Brian…) But I can’t wait to celebrate New year’s eve in the desert of Rajasthan with you both!

Kim September 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm

OMG HOW AMAZING WILL NEW YEARS EVE (and your birthday!!!!!!!) be??? I can’t wait! And I’m not really sad to be in the airport on Christmas. Actually, I think it will probably be one of the most memorable Christmas’ on record.

Patti September 28, 2012 at 10:30 am

Donation made today, you are b-r-a-v-e beyond belief! Looking forward to following the adventure! Safe Travels ~

Kim September 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Patti, thank you so much for your support!!!

Rhonda September 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

SO MUCH FUN…. We’re just so excited for all of you…the girls for running this nutty race, the boys for getting to hang in India, and all of your for finally getting to meet up. Very cool

Kim September 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Thanks Rhonda!! I still think that you and Jim should hop on a rickshaw and join us :)

Gillian @OneGiantStep September 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

We were able to quickly and easily get a Brazilian visa at the Argentinian side of Iguazu Falls. We tried in BA but didn’t have all the correct paperwork…we decided to get it all together and just do it at the falls as we were going to cross there anyway. The small, carport-like, office there was way more laid back than the BA office and they didn’t even want all the documents we had with us. Easy peasy. Congrats on the sponsors…that’s a big deal!!

Kim September 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Gillian, that’s good to know, especially because we are going to Iguazu Falls anyway. P.S. we have even more sponsors to announce soon!!!

TammyOnTheMove September 28, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Shame that you have to spend x-mas at the airport. But I am sure that you will be able to get some nice x-mas treats at the airport, such as ginger bread, mulled wine or Christmas Stollen (a Christmas cake). India will be all worth it though. Very exciting!

Kim September 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yeah, honestly, I’m a little excited about spending Christmas in Germany, even if it is in the airport!

Steve Whitty September 29, 2012 at 3:55 am

Everything is falling into place. Sounds good.

Kim September 29, 2012 at 2:42 pm

It honestly is! And it’s very exciting… :)

Dani September 29, 2012 at 8:17 am

First of all I have to say that I think the three of you are crazy, but I am looking forward to following along. And Cochin is the right place to unwind – Kerala is such a beautiful part of India!! You should all stick together and rent a houseboat on the backwaters for a couple of days while you’re down there, we did it with a couple of other bloggers and it was our favorite experience in India :) Congrats on reaching 41% of your fundraising goal already! In only two weeks – that’s really impressive. Oh, and I really hope that we’ll be able to meet up with you guys in BsAs before you’re heading to Brazil :)

Kim September 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Oh, yes, we are definitely considering a houseboat!

When will you guys be in BA? I am so pumped at the thought of meeting up with you two!!

Dani October 1, 2012 at 8:40 am

Awesome!! :) Let’s make it happen for sure – we’ll arrive in BsAs on 1 November and will stay for a month, then traveling to the Iguazu Falls and Uruguay at the beginning of December but probably back to BsAs for the Holidays. Let’s keep each other updated on our exact plans – do you already know when you’ll get to Argentina?

Kim October 1, 2012 at 11:55 am

Dani! We will get into BA around the beginning of December and we’ll be there for probably three weeks. I can’t wait to meet up with you.

Wendy October 1, 2012 at 8:11 am

If, by chance you are staying in Frankfurt on xmas…. That’s where they make gummy bears from. The town is super cute. Like a gnome village. Might actually be a perfect place for Xmas :)

Kim October 1, 2012 at 11:53 am

Yep, it’s Frankfurt! We don’t know if we’ll even leave the airport… do you think anything will be open on Christmas day? I’m going to tell Brian about the gummy bears- he’ll love it.

Audrey | That Backpacker October 3, 2012 at 2:42 am

I want to do this run so bad! It sounds like a blast, I like to think I have pretty sweet driving skills…haha :D

Kim October 4, 2012 at 7:18 am

I know I don’t have sweet driving skills. I’m in trouble!

Marisol October 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I”m so excited for you guys! You certainly deserve the Windu treat after the race.

Kim October 15, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Thanks Marisol :) We are so excited too- THANK YOU for helping us reach out fundraising goal :)