Like a kid again in St. Louis

by Kim on July 11, 2012 · 19 comments

The drive from Savannah to St. Louis was brutal.

15 hours,98 degrees, humidity out the wazoo and not a single lick of air conditioning in our old car.  Brian and I spoke of AC and ice water with the same impassioned longing that starving people must speak of food. We spoke of it until it was too hot to speak at all and then we just grunted like cavemen.

We arrived in St. Louis and were greeted warmly by our old friends Caitlin and Grant who ushered us into their air conditioned apartment, marched us to the nearest cold shower, and then fed us the best homemade chocolate chip cookies to ever touch human lips (the secret is pudding).

The following morning we caught the light rail and made our way to the iconic St. Louis gateway arch. The arch is the nation’s tallest monument (630 feet) and commemorates Thomas Jefferson and St. Louis’ role in the westward expansion of the U.S. The arch receives 4 million visitors a year which I would later note is about 3 million more visitors than Grand Teton National Park receives annually.

The St. Louis arch

The arch is a stunning sight to see. It’s so tall that it is hard to comprehend its enormity while standing at it’s base. Many visitors ride to the top of the arch for a view of all of St. Louis.

The base of the arch is home to the Museum of Westward Expansion. Though the name isn’t exactly enticing the museum provides an impressive glimpse backwards into the world of American Indians and pioneers.

But the highlight of the day was a trip to the City Museum.  The City Museum is an eclectic mix of funhouse and playground- a 600,000 square-foot warehouse filled with whimsical artwork, slides, tunnels, rope swings and so much more. The roof of the building is home to a ferris wheel and a number of airplanes that can be climbed and explored.

To top it all off there is a 10-story corkscrew slide that drops through the center of the building and did not break any of my bones despite my pre-slide premonition of doom.

One of many dark caves and corners in the City Museum

The climb up to the 10-story corkscrew slide. Looking down through City Museum

Structures you can climb through on the roof of City Museum

The ferris wheel on the rooftop of City Museum

We wrapped up our time in the city with a (free!) tour of the Anheuser-Busch brewery.

The Anheuser-Busch Clydesdale stables

Here’s a tip: If you are looking for admission to the tasting room but aren’t willing to stick  out a 1.5 hour tour of the brewing facility, follow the tour to the Clydesdale stables and then raise your hand when the tour guides ask if anyone has come for the “stables only” tour. You’ll be whisked away to the tasting room in no time flat.

Brian and Caitlin drink Stella, the “fancy” Anheuser-Busch beer

St. Louis was the last stop on the “visit friends” portion of our road trip. We are now back west and happily exploring the National Parks.

The three weeks that we spent visiting our east-coast friends were so special to me. I frequently recall a line from a spoken-word poem that played on the radio years ago: “The older you get the more you need the people you knew when you were young.”  The older I get the more I see the truth in that statement.

There is such a joy in telling old stories, in reminiscing, and in spending a few hours in that space where no explanation is needed at all.  With old friends there’s no precursor. That person has been there with you.

When I first met the people that I visited in Cleveland, Asheville and Savannah we were young and the whole world lay before us. We had no idea that in thirteen years we would be librarians and mountain bike riders and home owners and travelers. We didn’t know we would scatter across the country. We didn’t know that in the coming years we would form a bond that would keep us connected.

It has been so fun to step back into the daily lives of the people I love to see how they live today. Thanks to all of you for taking Brian and I in with wide open arms.

And Kel, Glee, Jessy, Amanda, Caitlin, Jess and J-Lew thank you for loving me all of these years. It’s hard to imagine what my life might be like if you weren’t in it. I only know it is richer and fuller and filled with more fun and laughter because you are. I love you ladies.

Before we left St. Louis Caitlin gave me a little laminated card filled with pictures of our girlfriends over the years.  I carry it with me now, an addition to my collection of talismans, as a reminder of how lucky I am to be in the orbit of such amazing women.

Kieron July 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm

St. Louis is a fun city and the beer and pretzels at the end of the Anheuser-Busch tour were fantastic. Nice job on getting the entire Arch in one photo too haha – did you guys go up to the top?

Kim July 11, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Pretzels?!?! I got ripped off! Just kidding. We didn’t go up to the top because I didn’t want to wait in line (and the beer tour was calling) but I bet the view from the top would be awesome!

Jess July 11, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I had no idea St. Louis was so cool! Your pictures are awesome. Are they all taken with your new point and shoot? Where is Jenny these days? Still in Chicago?
PS-I was left off the old friend list. I will try not to take it personally. xoxo

Kim July 11, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Yep, all with the point and shoot. I love that camera.

PS- I AM AN ASSHOLE AND I ADDED YOU TO THE FRIENDS LIST. Seriously, how did I forget to add your name? I’ve lost my mind.

Jess July 12, 2012 at 5:30 am

I’m in the market for a new camera. I might be sold.

PS-You’re not an asshole. Let’s blame it on the heat. Love you.

PPS-Patagonia! Briefly replacing my AT obsession with it.

Kim July 12, 2012 at 8:00 am

It is seriously great.

Okay, lets blame it on the heat. Actually, I’m going to blame it on the heat every time I’m an asshole.

SEE YOU IN PATAGONIA!

Kelly July 12, 2012 at 3:35 am

AHHHH!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the City Museum! The first time I went there was in college. We liked to think of it as a jungle gym for grown-ups. My favorite part is the “skate-less skatepark.” So much fun. Glad you enjoyed STL!
Will you be getting your AC fixed before continuing to the National Parks??!?

Kim July 12, 2012 at 8:00 am

IT IS SO FUN! I didn’t even make it into the skate-less skatepark.

Nope, no AC in the car (it was too expensive to fix) and we are in Moab, UT right now.. it is 100+degrees. I should write an update to the last car post. WE HAVE HAD TWO BREAKDOWNS!

Hannah July 12, 2012 at 8:30 am

Looks like you guys have really been making the most of your whirlwind road trip – your photos are great and I am really loving following you as your official life on the road is beginning :)

Kim July 15, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thanks Hannah!

Carmel July 12, 2012 at 9:29 am

Beautifully written. Glad you finally got that ice water and cookies!

Who knew St. Louis had so many fun attractions?

Kim July 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

I didn’t know… I was surprised. It really is a pretty cool city.

mckenzie July 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

So glad you had fun here in good ol’ STL!! It’s the funnest place that nobody ever gives enough credit to. Good luck on the rest of your trip!

Kim July 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

It really is fun! I had no idea that it had a light rail system either. Why aren’t more people talking about St. Louis?

Rhonda July 13, 2012 at 7:33 am

Lovely. I, too, have found it incredibly comforting and uplifting to keep in touch with friends who knew me “when” even if it’s not on an extremely consistent basis.
Glad you survived the heat and loving the FB pics of the parks!
Enjoy!

Kim July 15, 2012 at 8:46 am

Thanks Rhonda. There is nothing like old friends.

Mike July 16, 2012 at 11:40 am

So…Is “Rigazzi’s on the Hill” still in operation? I used to eat there all the time, when I helped open Six Flags in 1970!

Kim July 17, 2012 at 9:18 am