Arches and canyonlands national parks in pictures

by Kim on July 25, 2012 · 23 comments

Brian and I spent five days in Moab, Utah visiting Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. We stayed at the Canyonlands Campground. Canyonlands Campground has RV and tent sites, showers, laundry, wifi and a pool.  I’d stay there again in a heartbeat. They’re not paying me to say that.

Camping at Canyonlands Campground in Moab, Utah

I thought a lot about what to say about the two beautiful parks that cradle Moab. In the end I think it is best just to show you how special they are.

Arches National Park

Amazing rock formations in Arches

Dark Angel Rock

The moon rises under Landscape Arch

The sun sets in Arches

Balanced Rock

Canyonlands National Park

The Needles in Canyonlands

Ancient Pueblo petroglyphs in Spring Cave

An arch in Canyonlands

Amazing rock crevices

Rock formations in Canyonlands

Most of the photos from Arches National Park were taken on the Park Avenue Trail and the Devils Garden Primitive Trail Loop.

The photos of Canyonlands National Park were taken from the Lathrop Trail, the Upheaval Dome Trail, the Chesler Park Trail and Cave Spring.

Brian and I had a lot of fun in Moab. We would wake early in the morning while the day was still relatively cool and go hiking. When the desert heat became unbearable, usually around noon, we would hunker down in a bar and get some work done. Around 4pm we would go back to camp and submerge ourselves in the campground pool. Finally, around 7pm, the temperature would drop considerably and we’d head back to our tent to read or write or chat and cook dinner.

It was nice to establish a bit of routine in Moab. Traveling, at times, feels completely surreal- like we’re floating from one place to another through some kind of unworldly tunnel where time doesn’t exist. When I think back on a conversation I’ve had or a place I’ve visited, I can’t always remember who I was speaking with or where I was or even what month it took place in.

Routine grounds me and I have learned that I need to have it, even on the road. Coffee and a few hours of writing in the morning, a run afterwards, more writing in the evening. These things make me feel like me and so I plant them in my life like bookends and let the rest of my day take shape around them. So far, this is working pretty well.

Carmel July 25, 2012 at 8:25 am

It’s good to know what helps you feel grounded. Shawn is definitely more like that than me, but I do have my little routines that make me happy, running or some form of exercise being one of them.

Those pictures make me want to run away from this office today. Gorgeous.

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

I hope the sun is out in Portland, Carmel. Your time to escape from the office is getting closer and closer…!

Erica July 25, 2012 at 9:34 am

Very nice pictures! Enjoy!

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thank you!

Hannah July 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I’m terrible at routines and organisation but I’m excited to see how my life takes shape out on the road. I hope it will start with a walk on the beach, collecting shells and my thoughts. After that will be anyone’s guess but I am certain it will be wonderful, just like yours sounds :)

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:54 am

That sound like a wonderful way to kick off the day Hannah. SO SOON!

Escaping Abroad July 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I was just at Zion/Bryce Nat. Park in UT for the 4th of July holiday… we thought about checking out Arches but just didn’t have enough time… looks beautiful! Excellent photos!

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

We didn’t make it to Bryce Canyon and I’m so sad about it. We’ve added it to the “next time” list!

Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) July 25, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I am definitely someone who thrives on, if not routine, then structure. In the two weeks we have before we leave for Japan, I am trying to figure out some kind of rough schedule to navigate by each day so that I feel I get the balance I need right as well. Lately I have not been making much time for reading or writing (though plenty of arithmetic), so I want to ramp up both of those activities in the next 14 days and see if I can start feeling like “me” again as well!

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

Ha, I understand! I still do plenty of arithmetic too. I think it is important for all of us to know what makes us feel like ourselves and then to make time for those things in our day. You will get there. You are at a very hectic point in life but this too shall pass!

Ashley July 26, 2012 at 6:30 am

Looks amazing! We are definitely making a trip to Arches when we get back to the States, it’s been in the back of our minds forever but a campground with wi-fi has officially cemented the deal!

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

Oh yeah, the place is great! It’s in the middle of the city, which is sort of weird, but wonderful anyway.

Mark E Tisdale July 26, 2012 at 11:45 am

My experience with the west has been limited mostly to second-hand, but these photos of it reaaaally make me want to get out there soon!

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

Oh yeah, and as a photographer you could get some amazing shots!

Tiffany July 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I completely agree, Kim! Because my surroundings are constantly changing, it’s amazing how much more ‘in control’ I feel simply by implementing a few routine things into my daily schedule…

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

It’s the control freak in us!

Jessica July 28, 2012 at 5:56 am

“When I think back on a conversation I’ve had or a place I’ve visited, I can’t always remember who I was speaking with or where I was or even what month it took place in.” This is good preparation for becoming a post-menopausal woman, Kim.

Kim July 28, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Haha, Jessica, a friend of ours also said it is the same when you have a baby. I guess I’m prepared for all stages of life!

Pat and Frank July 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hi Kim and Brian…have been thinking about you since hiking out of the Grand Canyon. Love this blog and have subscribed to the updates. So nice meeting you…

Pat and Frank

Kim July 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Pat and Frank, it was so wonderful to meet you! Brian and I have already spoken of you both many times and how bad-ass you were! Meeting you proves that the people make the experience, always. Keep in touch!

Patricia GW July 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling more grounded now Kim, and finding a daily balance that makes you feel like you. The photos of all the canyons are just gorgeous… I wish I could wake up to a sight like that, early in the morning from camping, it looks like an overwhelming experience.

Kim August 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

Patricia, it was beautiful. Both places felt like being on another planet.