We have pee in our bed and I miss our stuff

by Kim on December 11, 2011 · 25 comments

We have pee in our bed and I miss our stuff

Since selling everything in preparation to travel the world I’ve been shocked at the number of times I’ve missed all the stuff that we sold, donated or gave away.  Shocked because I never miss it.  Ever.  In fact, I can’t even remember what we used to own that I loved so much.  I should have taken pictures.

But last night, for the first time ever, I missed our stuff.

Yesterday evening after work Brian and I rushed home, let the dogs out, then immediately left again to meet our new friends Jim and Rhonda for happy hour.

In 2007 Jim and Rhonda left their jobs and traveled around the world for a year and a half.  They’re back in Oregon for now but are plotting their next grand adventure: driving the Pan-American highway in a truck camper.  Amazing.

After a few hours of travel talk and delicious extra-hoppy beer, Brian and I went back home where we parked it on the couch to indulge in our new addiction: marathon-watching Modern Family.  Why haven’t I been blogging much lately?  No time. Must.Watch.Modern.Family.

Finally, it was time to hit the sack.  I shuffled into the bedroom, changed into my pj’s, threw back the covers and discovered a mysterious and rather large wet spot in the middle of our bed.

What the f*@!?

I leaned down to investigate, inhaled deeply, and the pungent smell of dog pee rushed up my nose and smacked me in the back of the brain.

What the f*@!?

In the 10+ years that those four-legged critters have been a part of our family I can count the number of times on one hand that they have peed inside the house (puppy training aside).  And on those rare occasions we came home to discover a puddle at the back door where our poor little doggy patiently waited and waited for us to come home until she couldn’t hold it any longer.  But peeing on our bed?  It’s completely out of character.  And, also, completely disgusting.  I’m no dog whisperer but the only conclusion I can draw is that those dogs were sending us a big, evil, wet message: Do not leave us alone in the evenings, it pisses us off.

We shouldn’t have been surprised.  We’ve caught the dogs doing questionable things before.  Wine?  Puppy pictures?  And now peeing on the bed?  What’s gotten in to you Bear?

I stripped the quilt off the bed: wet.  Peeled the comforter off: wet.  Pulled the flat sheet off and the fitted sheet: wet and wet.  Next came that smooshy foamy thing: also wet.  Finally, I pulled the final layer off, a white, padded somethingorother that we received as a wedding gift.  It was wet too.  But luckily our last line of defense paid off because the mattress beneath it remained dry.

I looked around the room.

We had a mattress, a dry mattress, but that was it.  All of our blankets and sheets were huddled into a stinking, wet pile on the floor.

That was the moment I missed our stuff.

I thought back to our spare bed with the spare comforter.  I thought about our closet piled high with blankets and sheets.  I thought about our washer and dryer.   Man, I really miss that washer and dryer.

Our spare bed with our spare comforter.  You know, when we had that kind of thing.

Ironically, Brian had been outside taking the dogs to pee when I discovered the little valentine.  He came back in and I showed him the mess.  He dug inside our closet and pulled out our sleeping bags, rolled them out on our mattress and looked at me with  half-grin. Problem solved.

So we spent our first night on a rock hard bed of questionable cleanliness not is some hostel in a foreign land but in our own little apartment right here in Portland, Oregon.

We’re considering it practice.

Amanda December 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Kim!

I love this post. Everything about it. You are such a tremendous story teller! And dogs can be such a (wonderful!) pain in the ass!!! I love that you have your sleeping bags to turn to- practice is right! So fitting so funny so perfect. Everything is exactly as it should be- and you are almost on your way!

Kim December 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Thank you Amanda :) Almost on our way… and you better believe we are stopping in Savannah to say hello before we leave for Ecuador.

Ajay December 11, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Aww..How can you even be annoyed at the lovely ‘bear’ face? But, I can understand what you mean. We bought a new mattress recently after years of making do with a 3 inch mattress from IKEA and since the new foam mattress has the stink, we were able to camp out in the ‘guest’ bedroom. No such luck when we move to an apt and even ‘better’ when we are on the move :-)

Great reaction from Brian :-) “Problem Solved”.I think this was good practice for being patient :-)

Ciao
Ajay

Kim December 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I can’t be annoyed at that face! How cute is she???

Yes, Brian is always level headed while I am always making matters worse.

Carmel December 11, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Good practice. Ugh…it especially sucks when you come home to it late in the evening and it’s seriously the last thing you want to deal with. Oh, and that picture of your dog is effing ADORABLE.

Kim December 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm

THE WORST when it is late. I mean, right before bed??? Horrible.

James Cook December 12, 2011 at 3:33 am

We slept in sleeping bags for our 6 months in Wellington it was a strange time :)

Kim December 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I guess you do get used to it after awhile. When we first moved to Portland we didn’t have a bed and slept in sleeping bags for a few months. Not horrible, but not ideal either!

Erin December 12, 2011 at 8:11 am

Haha! That would certainly make me miss our stuff. Luckily since we sold everything a few years ago I can’t remember having any such disasters. You are right though – good practice!

Kim December 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Hi Erin, I’m sure you guys are pros at sleeping in uncomfortable situations by this point!

Miel December 12, 2011 at 10:50 am

Funny that I have a similar experience of our cats sending us the same message when we chose to temporarily live in a smaller place when both of us were mostly overseas. Pets have a way of being more straight forward about what they are are and aren’t willing to give up.

It is good practice though! My recommendation is to bring Memory Foam Contoured Travel Pillow from the Megellan travel site, you won’t regret it. Even if the bed sucks, having a place to put your head makes a big difference. Also great for having to do hours in the back of a vehicle or the like, very useful throughout. Don’t know how I traveled without one for so many years!

Miel

Kim December 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Miel, thanks for the recommendation on the pillow, I will look in to it! And sorry about those cats. Darcy told me the story :) Seems like my dogs weren’t the first to have that particular idea.

Claire December 12, 2011 at 11:12 am

Oh I’m so sorry… It’s always the worst when you come home to an unpleasant surprise from the dog! I know how you feel!!

Kim December 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hi Claire, yep, you never know quite what you’ll come home to as a dog owner, but ours are normally well-behaved (I guess as long as you don’t make them mad!).

Ali December 12, 2011 at 9:03 pm

That is such a cute picture of your dog! Even if she did pee in your bed. I guess this is great practice for you guys. You will definitely end up sleeping in beds far worse at some point in your travels. Not to mention showers that make you feel dirtier than before you got in them.

Rhonda December 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Oh no!!!! To think while we were out beering it up at Lucky Lab the darn dogs were making their displeasure known! So sorry, we are thrilled that we didn’t come home to find that Maddy had done the same (or been sprayed by our stupid, resident skunk!)
While I appreciate how crappy that was I had to laugh because it is, in fact, just one of many bad bed experiences to come! Too bad it had to happen in your own place:(
Thanks for the great shout out..we had a good time, can’t wait to meet up again after the holidays.
Rhonda

Kim December 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Hi Rhonda. Maybe they were mad because they knew we were going to Lucky Lab but didn’t take them with us? Glad that Maddy didn’t get skunked! Can’t wait to see you guys again after the New Year.

Sarah December 14, 2011 at 7:05 am

Too funny (in retrospect!). Glad to hear that this is the first time you have missed your stuff though. Since we don’t have dogs, we should be ok :) Oh and we love Modern Family too, a marathon sounds like just the ticket…

Kim December 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm

You’re golden!

Suzanne December 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Hi Kim…I somehow found your blog while researching travel info.

Thank you for going into such detail about your preparations. I traveled extensively back in the 70’s and 80’s, and not since then, so I’ve forgotten how to travel the world independently, and it’s a different world out there! My sweetie and I are planning some adventures this next year, so your info is coming in handy…

Hey, I’m a west coast transplant from Ohio too (Cincinnati)…Keep writing…you’ve got the goods!

Suzanne

Kim December 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Hi Suzanne, I’m so glad you found the blog and that the info is coming in handy. I certainly have a lot to learn myself, but I feel like it comes into focus more and more every day.

I’m from Cincy too. Small world :) Don’t think I could give up the west coast for the midwest… never knew what I was missing!

Suzanne December 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm

“Don’t think I could give up the west coast for the midwest… never knew what I was missing!”

Ain’t it the truth! It takes major bribery to get me on a plane back to Cincy for a visit. I break out in hives at the very thought!!!

Kim December 18, 2011 at 10:22 am

Haha, I know the feeling. I don’t like hanging out in Fairfield (the suburb where I am from) but I do like seeing my family. Wish I could convince them to move out west… (never gonna happen).

jan January 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm

You have turned a horrible discovery into an enjoyable post – problem solved!

Kim January 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Hahaha. Making the best out of a sticky wet situation.