The waiting is the hardest part

by Kim on November 11, 2011 · 17 comments

For the past two years Brian and I have been working frantically to fulfill our dream of traveling and my dream of writing.  Starting this blog, telling people of our plans, saving our pennies, preparing our house for sale and then selling it, getting rid of most of our possessions and moving into an apartment- each was a tangible action that brought us closer to the dream.  There is thrill in action. Action keeps me inspired.

Right now we are in a period of inaction.

All of the big hurdles, the things that felt impossible in the beginning,  have been accomplished.  We sold the house.  We got rid of our stuff.  We’ve saved a bunch of money.  We found a fantastic home for our dogs. All the big stuff is done. Now, the only tangible action I’m able to take each day is to stalk Expedia in search of the cheapest one-way flight to Quito, Ecuador (best price so far: $612 per person).

We have started to tackle some of the smaller things that need to be accomplished before we leave.  We’ve got an upcoming appointment with the travel clinic to discuss the vaccinations we’ll need (I suppose we’ll need them all since, when asked by the clinic where we’ll be traveling, I responded everywhere!) and we’re meeting with a health insurance broker soon.  There are lots of things to consider when shopping for health insurance as a soon-to-be unemployed American.  For instance, securing a high-deductible policy that is HIPPA compliant and considered continuous credible coverage.  Whaa?  It makes my head spin.

So, I suppose we are making a little bit of progress, but day in and day out I sometimes feel as though all I’m doing is daydreaming and drumming my fingers against my desk, waiting for the hours to disappear.

Photo by Dave Stokes, Flickr Creative Commons

I tell myself to enjoy the moment, not to wish away the days.  I’m trying.  I really am.

A friend said: It must feel like an adult version of senioritis and it does, in a way.  But each time I’ve been a senior (twice now: once in high school and once in college) the nostalgic part of me wanted to slow time.  I was aware that I was on the edge of bigger things but I approached those things with a mix of excitement and dread.  There’s no dread this time around, just an almost agonizing sense of anticipation.

Six months.  Six more months.  It’s so close it feels like a living thing, our third roommate, sitting on the couch between us.  Yet it also seems far into the future and I can’t quite believe my life will one day be that way: the way I’ve dreamed it for so long.

Patricia GW November 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

You’re almost there! Waiting is definitely the hardest part. My own travels to Japan won’t begin until July 2013 and it feels like a long waiting game. Let’s hope this intermediate period goes by quickly for both of us! :)

Kim November 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

Yes, I definitely hope that this intermediate period flies by. Cheers to your next adventure!

jill November 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Maybe you can do a pre-trip trip :)

Kim November 12, 2011 at 8:56 am

Oh God, don’t plant the idea in my head!

Caroline November 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm

6 months will fly by, especially with the holiday season coming up.. sooner than later it will be days away! Keep getting through the pre-trip stuff and enjoy the day dreaming for now!

Kim November 12, 2011 at 8:57 am

I know it will fly by… but would it just fly by already? Just kidding. I will be an expert daydreamer by the time this trip actually gets here.

Bekka from The small Things November 12, 2011 at 4:51 am

Just a few small pieces of advice – I’ve always found cheapest airfares on Cheapoair, Kayak, or Vayama, rather than Expedia. Also, DON’T EAT UNPASTEURIZED CHEESE. Or play with baby goats, no matter how cute they are. I’m now into my fourth month of my second bout of continuous fevers, suspected to be from brucellosis from either playing with baby goats or eating unpasteurized cheese. So not worth it. You’ll have such an amazing time, good luck!

Kim November 12, 2011 at 8:59 am

I will try Vayama, never heard of it. I have been searching Cheapoair and Kayak as well. Thanks for the advice about goats and unpasteurized cheese…. I had no idea!! I’m sorry your sick, is it fixable? Yikes. I hope you are better soon. I will steer clear of unpasteurized cheese and baby goats. Yikes.

Sarahsomewhere November 12, 2011 at 7:14 am

I hear ya sista! The waiting game is certainly challenging. Having all your energy directed towards the future can make the present seem like a bit of a drag (at least it is like that for me at the moment). And I can’t help it when I am so excited about that future!
I suppose this is the ultimate act of patience, and I applaud you for your dedication to your dream. It’s truly inspiring.

Kim November 12, 2011 at 9:01 am

Thanks Sarah. You (once again) hit the nail on the head- having so much energy directed towards the future really does make the present a drag. But I am trying to enjoy it. Patience… patience…

Cheri November 12, 2011 at 10:22 am

Hey…congrats! I too am planning an RTW but I have a quick question. I keep hearing you need on onward ticket for most destinations. So how are you doing this buying only a one way ticket to Ecuador? Any tips you can give would be great!! At 53, this is quite the challenge.

Thanks!

Cheri :)

Kim November 12, 2011 at 10:30 am

Hi Cheri! I actually asked Warren and Betsy from Married With Luggage the same question because I keep hearing the same thing. They said that they were worried about it too but that they entered Ecuador on two or three separate occasions (by land and by airplane) and were never once asked of proof of onward travel. So, we are also hoping that this is the case with us.

We are planning to travel overland to Peru from Ecuador so hopefully I will just be able to explain that if they ask? Worst case scenario I suppose we will buy a one-way ticket that is refundable or can be used during a different portion of our trip, in Ecuador, if they demand proof.

I hope that helps a little. Warren and Betsy have been awesome at answering my questions so I’m sure they would answer yous as well.

Carmel November 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Yay you bought your tickets!

I know everyone will say this, but it’ll be here before you know it. Enjoy the comforts of home for now…and running and beer dates with me, because I’M going to miss that soon!

Kim November 13, 2011 at 9:04 am

Yay!!! I’m still freaking out (in a good way) about the ticket purchase! Many more beer and run dates in our future, though.

http://mykayakworld.blogspot.com/ November 22, 2013 at 4:29 am

Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?
I’m going too start my ownn blog soon buut I’m having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and
I’m looking for sojething completely unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but
I had to ask!
http://mykayakworld.blogspot.com/ recently posted..http://mykayakworld.blogspot.com/

Kim November 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I’m using wordpress and have a custom design built by a web designer. I love wordpress, it’s great.