It’s Thanksgiving here in the United States, a holiday in which friends and family congregate to spend time together, share a meal and reflect on what they’re thankful for.
I almost let Thanksgiving slip by this year without mentioning my blessings, but that’s no way to show my gratitude. This year, more than any other, I am keenly aware of just how lucky I am.
25 things I’m thankful for this Thanksgiving
1. I am thankful for my husband who is kind and fair and has an amazing capacity to love. That’s a gift, you know.
2. I am thankful for my dogs Bear and Macy who ask for love when they want it and have taught me to do the same. They remind me that it is almost always the small things that trigger bouts of joy: a car ride with the windows down, a morning in the park, a walk in the rain.
3. I am thankful for a body that is strong and healthy, a body that can run marathons and climb mountains.
4. I am thankful that I was born in a place, at a time, and with all the resources to pursue my dream. When I think of all the chips that had to fall into place in order for that to happen it drops my jaw.
5. I am thankful for my parents who taught me about hard work and passion in equal parts.
6. I am thankful for Brian’s parents who have demonstrated what unconditional love looks like. It is amazing to watch them love their children and grandchildren.
7. I am thankful for my sisters who know me in a way that nobody else can. When I am brave it is because my sisters think I can do anything. I am so proud that we are made from the same stuff.
8. I am thankful for my girlfriends who know the good and bad of me and love me anyways. I have said for years that one of my biggest blessings is the sheer number of amazing women I know.
9. I am thankful for my nephews and my niece and Oliver and Leo and Maggie. It is so fun to see the world through the eyes of children.
10. I am thankful for this blog which has given me an outlet to write and I am thankful and humbled by those of you that read it.
11. I am thankful for coffee and pajams and good books.
12. I am thankful for mountains and wilderness and trees and for the way that I feel when I am in the forest.
13. I am thankful for the things that seem bad until afterwards when I see that I am better and stronger then I was before the bad thing.
14. I am thankful for running. It was the first thing that I didn’t think I could do but did anyway.
15. I am thankful for being alone only when I want to be.
16. I am thankful for poetry.
17. I am thankful for paper and pens and cards and notebooks.
18. I am thankful for the first sunny day and the first rainy one.
19. I am thankful for Oregon. I didn’t know that you could love mountains and streams and city streets the way you love a person, but you can.
20. I am thankful for knowing what you have before it’s gone.
21. I am thankful for chocolate. And beer.
22. I am thankful for lunchtime runs with friends and weekend morning runs with friends.
23. I am thankful for clean water and plentiful food and that I have never had to worry about having either one.
24. I am thankful for the right song at the right time.
25. I am thankful that I have finally learned how to say thank you, not just today but every night before bed. It has changed the way I think about the world.