The best travel quote

by Kim on October 2, 2011 · 12 comments

A friend sent this quote to me today and I just love it.

“Leave.  Roll the world around on your tongue for a bit.  It is a beautiful world, isn’t it?  So strong and forceful, the way you have always wanted to be.  And you will not be alone. You have never been alone.  Don’t worry. Everything will still be here when you get back.  It is you who will have changed.” -Donald Miller

This photo is from a hike that Brian and I did to Oregon’s Opal Creek Wilderness Area in 2009.  It’s the first time I remember saying to Brian “why don’t we get rid of it all and go see the world?”  It was just a dream then.  Hard to believe it will soon be reality.

To read some of my other favorite quotes, click here.

Miel October 3, 2011 at 6:11 am

Great quote, and oh so true. The incredible part is the bit about coming back to a place that seems like it should have changed, but hasn’t, it just you.

Enjoy,

Miel

P.S. When do you guys actually plan on taking off?

Kim October 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm

We plan on taking off in June 2012… yes, I’ll be writing another eight months about getting ready to leave!

Rhonda October 3, 2011 at 12:00 pm

wow…so true! We felt culture shock when we returned and were slow to realize that everyone we knew had just gone along w/ their normal lives and we just didn’t feel as though we “fit” anymore.

Carmel October 6, 2011 at 11:21 am

Lots of stuff going around about Steve Jobs today, obviously. I found this quote particularly inspiring and applicable to those of us with the “irrational” dream of long-term travel. Reminds me of an earlier post where you mention listening to that little voice inside you that says you need to go and explore.

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

Kim October 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Carmel, thanks for sharing this, it is beautiful. I am working on a post right now about intuition and how it always knows just what you want, at least, that was the case with me. It’s amazing how, once you’ve tapped in to that inner guide, all of the answers are right there in front of you as long as you are willing to get quiet enough to tune in.

Jason @ Travel Junkies October 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm

We hiked Opal Creek a few years ago and loved it. The 800+ year old trees are HUGE! They are (or were) planning on logging it. What a shame.

Lauren October 10, 2011 at 5:55 am

Wow, that is an amazingly beautiful picture. Brian must have taken it? (I tease, I tease). I can see how seeing that in person would inspire you.

Kim October 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I think that Brian did, indeed, take that picture ;)

Bama October 11, 2011 at 6:13 am

Hi Kim! I have nominated you to receive Versatile Blogger Award! I always love reading your stories about the preparation to do the RTW trip. Check out what this is all about at my blog, but there’s no pressure at all. You don’t need to make a post about it if you don’t want to.
Cheers,
Bama

Kim October 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Hi Bama! Thanks so much, I’m honored that you nominated me. I went over to your blog and really enjoyed the post. Thanks again.

iris October 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm

“why don’t we get rid of it all and go see the world?”
Oh man. This. Exactly. I think I say it all the time.

Kim October 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm