RTW Planning Makes You Boring

by Kim on September 18, 2011 · 30 comments

Warning!  Travel planning makes you boring.

At least, it makes me boring.

Planning a trip around the world dominates my thoughts.

When I’m sitting in a meeting, eyes glazed over, it’s a pretty sure bet that my mind is half a world away, mulling over trekking options in Peru, conjuring up images of beaches in Thailand.  Or, as I sit in my cubicle taking notes, a to-do list most definitely grows in the margin of my notebook:  Research travelers insurance! Find out the best time to visit China!

Not an hour goes by that I don’t think about our trip.

Brian and I used to silently roll our eyes at those people that have babies and suddenly they’re all: my baby gained a pound/took a two hour nap/had his first smelly poop today!  And then we’d be all: Oh yeah?  Wow.  That’s fascinating.  Oh, look at the time, we’ve got to go home and… um… wash our hair.

Brian (on his birthday).  Clearly hair washing is a priority for this man.

We have vowed to each other, on more than one occasion, that we would never become the kind of people that can only converse about one single thing.

These days when we’re out with our friends and they ask what’s new with you? I watch the panic creep into their eyes as I thrill them with an hour-long explanation of our latest and greatest travel plans.

Even when I’m not provoked, I can’t keep myself from blurting out: Guess what?  We’ve been researching Inca Trail trekking companies and did you know that porters are only allowed to carry 12 pounds of your gear?  Isn’t that interesting?  And the typical tip for a porter is…

And our friends are all: Oh, look at the time! Man, we sure do hate to run but we’ve really got to get home and clean the oven.

Seriously, who have I become?

You might as well put a diaper on my Lonely Planets.  This trip is my baby and I am head-over-heels in love.

Our new additions.  Welcomed to the family on 9/17/2011.

This post is sponsored by Good2Go travel insurance.

fotoeins September 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm

That’s a special kind of lovin’ : travel planning. There’s a modified motto somewhere: The few, the strong, the brave : RTW travelers.

Kim September 18, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Haha. I like it. I think it should be: The few, the strong, the obsessed: RTW travelers.

Carmel September 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

You CANNOT bore me with your travel talk…obviously :)

The other night I had to preface a comment to Shawn on our date night with, “ok, I swear this is the last time I talk about money…” because we’re SO CLOSE to paying off my credit card debt and really starting our travel savings, I have a hard time not talking to him about every penny I’ve found to save. I figure it affects him and is travel related, so it MUST be interesting. However, the travel talk really is interesting. But I know what you mean…just know you can’t bore us at least. We’re like home base for travel talk.

Kim September 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Oh yeah, I also love to talk about saving money. I do also feel the need to warn people before I start talking. I’ll say, like, “this is the only thing I’m going to say about traveling/planning/money but….” and then I launch right in. I’m glad I can obsess over things with you!

Jason @ Travel Junkies September 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I think the worst is discussing RTW travel plans with family. You want them to be so excited about your opportunity to chase your dreams, but instead they have a panic stricken look on their faces as if the idea of you going on a RTW trip is the stupidest thing they could ever imagine and they wonder how they could ever be related to you. And then, they are silent with no comments…

Kim September 19, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I know! It’s like, hello, this is only the MOST GIGANTIC THING IN MY LIFE can we please discuss? I know that my mom especially (my poor mom, love you mom!) just likes to ignore it. Like, if I bring up our trip she’ll just change the subject as soon as possible. Oh well, I guess that’s why all of us travelers have connected with each other, we’re the only ones that want to hear what the other is saying!

Natalie September 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I can relate to this. Not for planning a RTW trip but when I am planning my next trip in Turkey. Like jason said, it is the panic stricken look with silence. I guess we have to keep our plans to ourselves! :)

Kim September 19, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Haha. I like to think that they don’t want to hear about our plans but they’ll want to hear all about it when we get home (not likely, I know, but here’s to hoping).

Deborah September 19, 2011 at 8:24 am

Boring? Not even a little bit. Inspiring is the word I’d use. My heart just about lurched out of my chest as I read this. I think you know that hiking the Incan trail and visiting Macchu Pichu is at the top of my Impossible List at the moment.

Kim September 19, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Deborah! I am going to be posting soon about our latest and greatest RTW plan/itinerary and it the Inca Trail is at the top of the list!

Darcy @Sustainable Family Finances September 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Now that you are in travel planning I mode, I wanted to connect you with my sister’s friend who runs a small eco-tourism business in Costa Rica, Sarah Joy at Boyero Tours. She also lived in Ecuador in college (where she lived with Miel). She’s opted to make travel her life (now close to having her second child with a Costa Rican), and I’m sure you would love her.

Also, you won’t bore me, hope to connect more before you fly the coop!

Kim September 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Thanks Darcy! Do you have her contact info or should I just find her through her website?? We will definitely have some more coffee dates before I leave (I’ve still got a while).

Maureen@Vaco-Vitae September 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hmmm….I hate to be the bearer of “bad” news (although it isn’t really) but the boring doesn’t go away AFTER you start traveling either.

And I was one of those moms (and now a grandmother) who refuses to live life like the sun rose and set on the kids. But I must admit…this travel thing is pretty seductive. It’s easy to get a little carried away.

Perhaps a hobby to offset the single-mindedness you’ve cultivated? Sewing? Tennis? Backgammon?

(Nah…those things will take up way too much room in your luggage!)

Kim September 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm

You mean my friends won’t want to hear my hours-long stories of adventure? 😉

Haha… those things will take up waaayyy too much room in my luggage. So funny.

Miel September 19, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I love how you keep it real. The reality of travel is very different than the perception of it. As you’ve learned, the truth is that people don’t want to hear about it. Maybe they do, but a two minute summary will suffice for the year. You’ll know when people are really interested.

Funny about the Inca trail. There were certainly no weight limits for porters when we were that. They easily carried 150 pounds a piece, literally three plus large backpacks at once. I suppose it cost us $65, all inclusive, to hike Macchu Pichu. I gather that is a thing of the past.

I’m always game for travel talk. Plus I have contacts in more than a few places for you.

Kim September 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Hi Miel,

Yep, things have really changed on the Inca Trail… sounds like for the better as far as the porters are concerned.

Darcy has told me a lot about your travels and I am so fascinated by all of the places you have seen. You are definitely an inspiration!

Ali September 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

That’s why you have us, your travel-obsessed friends from twitter and blogging! And at least you never have to change your guidebook’s diaper.

Kim September 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Hehe. So true about the guidebook’s diaper.

amanda @ amandaelsewhere September 20, 2011 at 10:02 am

Planning a RTW doesn’t make you boring, I’d argue that it makes you loads more interesting. All babies poop. But no two trips are exactly the same.

I’m in the very beginning stages of planning (maybe not a RTW) long term trip and I’ve found that saving the money makes me boring. Involves a lot of saying “no” to people who want to go out and a lot of focus on reading blogs like this to remind me just what I’m sacrificing all those nights at the bar for!

Kim September 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Hi Amanda. Yes! The alternative title for this blog post could have been “saving money makes you boring.” There are lots of things that you have to say no to when you save, but it is totally worth it (or, at least, it will be).

Lisa September 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm

OMG I love this post. I’m laughing…I can relate to this. I am in the midst of applying for overseas jobs and the research and desire to already be there takes the majority of my focus. I feel fortunate to have a few people interested in listening to the ongoing journey. I wish you both the best!! You’re doing it!!

Kim September 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Haha, thanks Lisa. I’m happy to have other travelers to talk to… and who can relate to what this is like! Good luck in your search for an overseas job!!

Erik September 24, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Can’t wait to read about the journey.

I know exactly what you are saying. 95% of people have no idea what love of travel and the need to plan is like. I’ve stopped trying to explain it or get people excited about it.

We are a chosen few…

Kim September 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Thanks Erik. We are definitely a different breed, aren’t we :)

nod 'n' smile October 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Hilarious post- I can definitely relate. It’s gotten to the point where, before I see a friend, I promise myself I won’t bring it up. But then of course I always do- it’s like I have no control over my speech anymore. And once I get started, I can’t seem to stop. Oy. No wonder my friends don’t read my blog. :)

Gerard ~ GQ trippin October 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm

It’s really hard for me as well given that I’ve been laid off. So people always ask, so are you looking for a job? What do you do with all your time? I try not to talk about the RTW planning, but it has to come out eventually. I try to stick with saying I’m training for a half-marathon and I probably won’t be looking for a job until 2013. :)

Kim October 20, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Haha. Now you’re scaring off everyone from training for a half marathon. They’re thinking- it takes two years? No, seriously, good for you! You don’t have to explain what your’e doing.. just do it!

Crystal October 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

HAHA! My husband and friends enjoy when I turn to travel talk. I have recently went back to school. They all hate when I go all “Medical this and Biology that” on them. They would much rather hear about travel. I still love traveling more than anything except those babies I happen to have and yes I still cringe when people have nothing to talk about but their kids. I stop and think “Wow, Glad I sidestepped that mess.” Nobody wants to hear about diapers, or obscure travel tips…or what the lungs look like under a mircoscope it turns out, lol. Guess we are the odd ones…At least we always have something to say!

Kim October 23, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Haha, that’s true. I definitely always have something to say!