You can take the girl out of Ohio

by Kim on August 17, 2011 · 8 comments

Some photos from the past few weeks

Brian gave me a travel pack for my birthday.  Shortly, everything I own will fit in this bag.

We went home to Ohio to attend a wedding and visit our families.  My Dad unexpectedly ended up in the hospital a day before we left Oregon so I was doubly happy to see him.  Take care of yourself Dad, we love you so much.

I got to see all of my nephews and my new niece Harper, whom I’d never met before.  How is it possible to have so many adorable babies in one family?

Brian and I went back to Ohio University, our alma mater and the place where we met.  This is where it all began, people.

We drove by the first place we lived together during the year that we were in AmeriCorps.  The house was just as we remembered, but was in the middle of receiving a new basement.

Then we drove to West Virginia to visit my grandparents, Aunt and Uncle and cousins.  We went to an overlook in the West Virginia hills and my 84 year old grandma hiked there.  She is so badass, I can only hope to age as she has.

The sale of our house was finalized while we were gone so as soon as we got back we dug up St. Joseph.  He will soon hold a place of honor in our new apartment.

We move tomorrow, tonight is the last night in our house.  I’m experiencing so many emotions, as I wrote in my last post, but going home to Ohio reminded me of all of the times that I was scared and sad to move on, but then I did, and life grew bigger and brighter because of it.

Carmel August 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm

What perfect timing for a return trip home and down memory lane.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you guys for a smooth transition into the new place. At least you don’t have a lot of stuff to move!
Carmel recently posted..Baconfest

Kim August 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I’m so glad we don’t have a ton of stuff to move, there is no easy way to move into our new place. Less is more!

PS, sorry about the horrible construction noise.

Carmel August 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm

They’re gone today!

Deborah August 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm

LOVE THIS! Absolutely perfect!

“…going home to Ohio reminded me of all of the times that I was scared and sad to move on, but then I did, and life grew bigger and brighter because of it.”

Wishing you grand adventure and dreams come true!

Kim August 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Thanks Deb :)

Gillian @OneGiantStep August 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Happy Last Day In Your House!! It may be sad to see it go but remember that it is opening doors to something greater. I lift my glass to your last night there….cheers! And wish you luck in your new place.

Martine Dudes on the road August 18, 2011 at 5:07 am

Reading your posts is like looking ar my own future… scary but exciting at the same time! I really don’t know if visiting my sibblings before leaving for our RTW trip will be as fulfilling and happy and cool as it was for you both…
Enjoy your last day at home! Wish you the best!
Martine Dudes on the road recently posted..Having to face another winter

Amy August 19, 2011 at 8:54 am

So true that going to Ohio would help you to remember that every time we move on we think the emotions will overwhelm us. I am so happy for you two! Wow the liberation you must be starting to feel!