The Speed of Change

by Kim on July 17, 2011 · 58 comments

Sometimes change meanders like a river and sometimes it strikes like lightening

My blog is an outlet for me to document every big and small change that occurs while I fight the good fight to live my dreams (Brian too, but it’s easier for me to write about myself).

At times the process of change feels so slow that I can barely recognize progress.  We save money paycheck by paycheck, tiny bit by tiny bit.  We give away things here and there.  We make decisions to use less, buy nothing, minimalize.  We talk and talk and talk about our plans.  We do endless amounts of dreaming and all of it is theoretical.  The dream exists but only inside of us.  If we had to show some empirical representation of our dream we’d have nothing to point to.

But last week we put our house on the market.  We cleaned and repaired and cleaned some more.  We put flowers on the table.  We prayed to St. Joseph and finally (finally!) we had something to show as evidence of our new path.  We’re doing this, damnit, we said to ourselves, look at that sign in our yard.  And we thought, this will be a long, hard, draining, crazy process but we will stick it out.  We were preparing ourselves for the long-haul of house selling.

So let me tell you this crazy story about what happened next.

Our house went on the market on Friday afternoon.

A couple came to see it at 4pm on Saturday.

At 8pm on Saturday we received a full price offer.

(Oh, did I mention that we are selling the house furnished at full price?)

On Sunday we had the open house.

On Monday we countered.

On Tuesday they accepted.

On Wednesday we drank heavily.

On Thursday they had the inspection.

On Friday we drank heavily again.

It is Saturday as I write this and we are waiting for the results of the inspection.  There are many things that could still fall through about this deal but nevertheless things are moving at warp speed

(By the way, we feel like we have just taken a crash course in homeselling 101 and I will write a big, long post about that sometime soon).

This past week has been filled with highs and lows.  Each new high and low I think to myself I should be writing about this but the truth is that it is emotionally draining to sit down and tell the story.  I have cried more in the past seven days than I have in a really, really long time.  We were emotionally ready to put the house on the market but we hadn’t quite prepared ourselves to let go of it so quickly.  If both parties ultimately agree on the terms of the sale Brian and I will be homeless and possessionless by August 19th.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And, by the way, I never doubted St. Joseph but HOLY CRAP!!)

We are very excited.  We are also in super-super-super-high-level-home-selling-stress-mode and trying not to get too far ahead of ourselves.  And I’m mourning the possible loss of our home, too.  Selling the house is what we want but it is still hard to let go (and so quickly!) of this place that we have lived in and loved for the past six years.

Who knows what will happen in the upcoming weeks.  Maybe the house will sell or maybe negotiations will crumble.  Either way, all of a sudden everything is changing right before our eyes.

(And just one more time, for good measure, a shout-out to St. Joseph.  Thank you St. Joseph!)

Katie July 17, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I already knew a good chunk of this, but YAY to see it public in a blog post!! You are so lucky and I am so happy for you!! Didn’t realize you were going to sell it furnished – that certainly saves the trouble of selling all your stuff. :) How great to find someone to take it all so quickly!!
Katie recently posted..Thirty-Somethings See the World: Ali Garland

Kim July 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Thanks Katie! I was kind of scared to put it in a blog post because we don’t want to jinx ourselves and there is still a chance (even a good one) that things could fall through. But if they do then I’ll just write about that too. It’s all a part of the process I suppose…

Gillian July 17, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I seriously cannot stop smiling for the two of you! I think I have told you before but it is an important part of the journey to mourn what you are leaving behind as you move forward…I miss my friends and life back in Victoria but am, at the same time, very happy here in my new Calgary home…I guess it’s about the balance. Good luck with the closing…and remember, if you guys need a place to stay once you’re homeless you can come stay with us…it would be a killer commute though!!!

Kim July 17, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hey Gillian! Be careful what you wish for, we might come knocking on your door in Calgary!

Also, you were one of the people that reminded me it is okay to grieve for what we are leaving behind, even as we choose to do it. It has been good to have that reminder and give myself the space to feel sad. Thank you for being such an inspiration. XO

Amy Riley July 18, 2011 at 6:20 am

Gillian and Kim…thanks for sharing this. It is so true it is a real mourning process going through this. I have to remind myself that this is normal. You two are the best! :)

Kim July 18, 2011 at 9:52 am

Amy, I want to give you a big hug. It’s normal and hard and everything else. Such a mix of emotions right now… I know you relate completely!

Carmel July 17, 2011 at 5:32 pm

So so so excited for you two! And definitely continuing to pray for a great outcome and smooth process. You guys have done so much to make this happen…you deserve the best results. My fingers will remain crossed, though. Can’t wait to celebrate! :)

Kim July 17, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Thanks Carmel. Yes, please keep those fingers crossed, we’ve still got a long way to go. When all is said and done we WILL celebrate!

Torre July 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Kim and Brian, you have incredible courage. This is an incredible start to your journey. I feel for you – I would be crying too! I’m terrified of doing the same thing soon, but as the quote goes: “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” You’re about to lose sight and it’s TERRIFYING, but you’ll soon be arriving in incredible new worlds.
Torre recently posted..Is Art Sometimes A Wank?

Kim July 17, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Torre that is the perfect quote. We are slowly drifting away from shore and it is SO FREAKING TERRIFYING!!! Thank you for your kind words, always.

Nomadic Samuel July 17, 2011 at 5:47 pm

WoW! Things seem to be manifesting towards your dreams of travel in warp speed! Congrats on selling the house and furniture so quickly. I think the transition and amount of stress you may feel doing this will not even be a consideration once you start your journey abroad. I’ve found as someone who has lived abroad for nearly 6 years that at first it is a big transition but after a while you forget how you could have ever managed the way you did in the past.
Nomadic Samuel recently posted..The Importance of Setting Goals (Part 1) Call to Action

Kim July 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Hi Samuel. It sure is nice to hear that this won’t be such a big deal someday. Right now it feels all consuming! Six years on the road… that’s quite an accomplishment!

Leif July 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Holly crap, I’m stoked for you guys. How exciting. Incredible how quick your house sold and for the full price as well. It definitely seems as though it is meant to be. Just flow like a meandering river, adapting to the contours of the banks of life (too corny? lol) Thats my advice though. Good luck
-Leif

Kim July 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Haha, that’s not too corney at all… I love it, and it’s great advice!

peach July 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm

that is AMAZING! how quickly this is moving…congratulations on a possible buyer

Kim July 17, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Thank you!! :)

Amy July 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Congrats, Kim! As I think I mentioned before, we went from not even having our house listed to having a closing in three weeks. It was insanely crazy and I wasn’t prepared to let go of our house so quickly. But with out a doubt, it was the big giant shove forward we needed and it set everything else in motion and made it all very, very real. Hope the inspection went well and that you will soon be getting demonstrable progress towards your dream! p.s. Since you countered towards their full price offer, does this mean you got more than your asking price? I’ve heard of this happening in other cities, but this is a foreign concept where I live. How awesome!

Kim July 17, 2011 at 8:14 pm

OMG… THREE WEEKS! That makes me teary-eyed just thinking of it!!!! WOW! And to answer your question, no, we didn’t counter for more than the asking price (though that’s a darn good idea… wish we would have thought of it!). We countered on closing costs and negotiating a bit more furniture to keep (our mattress and couch).

Odysseus Drifts July 17, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Wow, that’s great news Kim. I hope things work out with the inspection and final sale. (And whose house sells that quickly? Especially in this economy. You’re blessed.)

And most importantly, does this mean you’ll be starting your trip in August?
Odysseus Drifts recently posted..Travel the World in 7 Links

Kim July 17, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Hello Odysseus! No, the sad news is that we won’t be leaving in August. As it goes, even with full price we are still losing money on the house… so we will be dipping into our travel savings to pay for the realtor. Once everything shakes out we will know more about when we will be leaving… but we’re still on just about the same timetable as before.

Annie July 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm

That’s such great news Kim! Congrats to you both!

Sometimes things just fall into place don’t they? So, where will you guys be staying once the house is sold?
Annie recently posted..Lesson #12: Don’t Be Such a Mama’s Boy!

Kim July 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hi Annie. We have NO IDEA where we will be staying once the house is sold… it is one of the many things adding to our stress!!

Sunee July 18, 2011 at 12:55 am

Congratulations! And so everything works out just as it’s supposed to :) Hope there are no last minute hickups with the deal and that you’ll be ready to set out on your big adventure before you know it :)
Sunee recently posted..My 100th Blog Post

Kim July 18, 2011 at 9:52 am

Thanks Sunee!! :)

Amy Riley July 18, 2011 at 6:19 am

Yay!!! I got teary reading this. I know exactly what you are going through as you know. I cursed you a little bit not for your good fortune but for making me tear up. LOL. All crossable limbs are crossed for you that this all works out smoothly!!!!! Can’t wait to celebrate with you both!

Kim July 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

HAHA, sorry Amy, at least I’m not the only one spending my days crying my eyes out!! All of MY crossable limbs are crossed for you guys as well. XOXOXOXO

Rhonda July 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I am SOOOO incredibly thrilled to read your blog today. When we put our house on the market in 2007 it, too, sold to the first people who came to look at it and we were frantic!!! Fantastic it sold but, how the hell can we get it all packed up and in storage in 30 days!? But, you know what? We did it, just like you’ll do it, and once you get past the first mourning you will be so extremely grateful.
Things happen when and for a reason! Embrace the universe validating your dream!!!

Kim July 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hi Rhonda, thank you, and it is so nice to hear from people that have gone through the mourning and then can say with certaintly that we will get over it! I know we will but it is so insane being in the middle of it!! We are embracing the universe… and still hoping for a smooth closing.

Globetrottergirls July 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Wow, that happened really fast!! I hope that the deal goes through, fingers crossed for you!
Globetrottergirls recently posted..Polaroid of the week: Burritts Rapids Locks along the Rideau Canal

Kim July 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

So fast!!! Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for us!

Aurora July 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm

So glad to hear that it is all working out…. though I imagine that it is a lot to handle and think about…. I know that since my travels are about 5 weeks away (and 3 of those weeks will be spend in the woods with kids) that I have tons of lists and thoughts and to-do’s going through my head! So imagine it is the same!

and thus it begins….

Kim July 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Hi Aurora. Five weeks away… that is so exciting!!! Right now I am making lists of the lists I might have to make. The crazy-making part is that we don’t know exactly what will happen (with the house) so we have to plan for anything and everything. Sigh. Where is the tequila?

Maryjean July 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Hi Kim,

This post has me on the edge of my seat and so excited for you guys. I know how scary change is when it comes fast and furious but how awesome indeed! Can’t wait for the next update.

MJ

Kim July 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Hi MJ! Yes, you do know a thing or two about that, don’t you? I will keep the updates coming :)

TheBigBreak July 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Wow! What an emotional roller coaster. Congrats, and wow. I too keep thinking that once we list our home, it’ll be 6+ months before something would happen. That must be strange. And exciting. Thanks for all the fun updates. I am loving watching your story as I will be there myself soon!

Twitter: @thebigbreak

TheBigBreak July 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm

P.S. How much will you sell St. Joseph for? ;-)

Kim July 18, 2011 at 7:44 pm

LOL. I cannot sell him or I am afraid he will never work for me again ;) Though I did buy him online for only $8.99!

Kim July 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Thank you. Yes, we definitely thought we had some time (maybe we still do… depending on what happens) and NEVER thought it would move this fast.

RenegadePilgrim July 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm

So happy for you two! Once things slow down, I’d still love to meet up for coffee sometime. It’s always good to network with fellow travel bloggers. Your blog has been an inspiration to me. Keeps me motivated to get back out there and travel long-term again.

Kim July 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Yes, I would love to do coffee! We will get together as soon as things slow down. I love to talk travel!!

Amanda July 19, 2011 at 4:37 am

I am beyond excited. BEYOND!!!!! Cannot wait wait wait wait wait wait to see how this story unfolds!!!!!!!

Kim July 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Thanks Amanda. I can’t wait to see how it unfolds either… it will be nice to have an outcome either way!!!! Lots of stress over here!

Ali July 21, 2011 at 7:16 am

OMG that is insane! I’m so happy for you! I can definitely relate to the emotion of letting go and moving on even when it’s something you’ve really wanted. I hope everything goes smoothly with the rest of the process and the closing!
Ali recently posted..The Other Side of Exciting

Kim July 21, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Hi Ali… thank you!!! Such a crazy roller-coaster of a process. How is Germany?!?!?!

Martine Destination Terre July 27, 2011 at 4:52 am

I’m so glad I found your blog! We finally “meet” a couple who shares the same dream and the same experience: selling the house and preparing for a trip around the world! We are from Québec and your story is so inspiring!
We will be leaving in july 2012 but already preparing for this adventure of a lifetime. Sometimes it’s hard, sometimes it’s very frustrating and most of the time, very exciting!
We are in the process of cleaning the house before putting it up for sale… an emotional state… but our dream is so big, nothing will keep us from doing it.
We will certainly follow your blog!
Sorry if ours is in french… but hey, time to practice another language, why not?! ;)
Thanks for the great tips!

Kim July 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Hello! I’m so glad we found each other too!!

It is SUCH an emotional state letting go of your home and, essentially, your roots to all that binds you to a place. We have been on an insane roller coaster ride for the past month but, like you, our dream is so big nothing will keep us from doing it.

We aren’t sure when we are leaving yet (we will know more how it all looks financially once the house thing shakes out) but it could very well be summer of 2012 as well… we’ve been planning for a LONG time and saving for over two years. I even started this blog December 2010 which means that I have been travel blogging for almost 8 months now without doing any traveling… though we have been taking quite a trip!

I wish I could read French (or speak it for that matter) and check out your blog. Please keep in touch!

Martine Destination Terre July 28, 2011 at 4:27 am

Be patient, we are working on an english version of our blog! Even if my written english is a little bit rusty…!
We will keep in touch for sure!

Kim July 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Yay! Let me know when it’s up…

Lisa August 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Kim, I am so happy for you. What a blessing for you and Brian. I know it is sad to let go of your house but the universe just gave you a huge GIFT. You’re getting the full price you need, so you aren’t losing money and you can still depart close to when you wanted to go. I am cheering for you both!
Lisa recently posted..Stalag 7a Prisoner of War Camp; Stepping Back into My Grandfather’s Time

Kim August 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm

It IS a gift. We are still losing a bit of money, but a full price offer was exactly what we needed. I really do feel like the universe is opening right up for us and inviting us to step inside. Thank you so much for your support!

Matt September 18, 2011 at 2:25 am

Good luck with the house sale, one of the most stressful times in life.