Our House Is For Sale!

by Kim on July 10, 2011 · 33 comments

Our house is for sale!

It’s been an intense few weeks of getting our house in perfect condition (who wants to come for dinner, we’ll eat off of the floors) but finally it is on the market!

We had our first showing on Saturday so we shoved the dogs into the car and spent a half hour at the dog park.  When we got back 45 minutes later there was a couple parked in front of our house, peeking in our windows.  Feeling awkward, we drove around the block, but when we came back they were walking around in our back yard.  Half an hour later they were still there (a good sign?), so we went and got some food and beers down the street.  Our open house was on Sunday afternoon, and now we’re just waiting for the offers to roll in (that’s how it works, right?).

Our house, but hopefully not for long

Thanks to a tip from a friends mom, we bought a statue of St. Joseph to bury in our yard.  St. Joseph is the patron saint of selling houses (or something like that) and he will hopefully bring us good luck and help us sell our house quickly!

Originally we gave St. Joseph a place of honor on our shelf but Brian thought he might not appreciate being overshadowed by Buddha.

Can St. Joseph and Buddha coexist?

So we gave him his own shelf.

We didn’t want to take any chances.

I wanted St. Joseph to get a good sense of the neighborhood so I took him on a few runs, over to the neighbors house and out to our local watering hole.  Then I sat him down and explained to him exactly why we need him to help us sell our house.

Explaining to St. Joseph that we want to sell our house so we can travel the world.

Just to make sure he understood we showed him our itinerary on the world map.

Don’t worry, that’s not really our itinerary

Finally, when the time was right, we buried him in the yard.  After much research we determined that burying him head down and facing the house would bring us the most luck.

Brian digs a hole for St. Joseph

St. Joseph moves into his temporary home

Bring us luck St. Joseph! (P.S. check out my new haircut!)

Me, my new haircut, and St. Joseph

Thanks to everyone that’s pulling for us and sending us good vibes from all over the world.  We can feel them!

If you live in Oregon and are interested in an adorable house in North Portland that’s walkable to shops, restaurants, pubs, movie theaters, the post office, library, grocery stores and pretty much everything else please email me and I will send you the listing!

Erik July 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Good Luck! We are selling our home right now and it hasn’t been fun so far. I hope your experience is better than ours! Looking forward to reading about your adventures.
Erik recently posted..North, East, South, West, Central- A Geography Geek’s Compass

Kim July 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Thank you! So far so good but we are just at the very beginning. Good luck to you guys!!

Allison July 10, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Good luck!! Instead of wrestling with the housing market right now we decided to rent ours out instead of sell it for our big trip. I wish we’d known about St. Joseph – it would be nice to not worry about the renters while we’re on the road.
Allison recently posted..Sittin’ Watchin’ Waitin’

Kim July 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Hi Allison. We really went back and forth on the renting/owning situation. It was agonizing! In the end we just made the decision that selling was right for us. It was a hard decision. Hopefully you won’t have to worry about the renters too much!

Jessy Broyles July 10, 2011 at 6:00 pm

DEBBY is glad to see St. Joseph is pulling through for you all. We read this together and loved it! Congrats!

Kim July 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Yay! Tell Debbie I said THANK YOU. I think she’s playing a big role in this :)

Odysseus Drifts July 10, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Aww, your new haircut looks adorable Kim. Good luck selling the house!
Odysseus Drifts recently posted..Foreign Women for Sale

Odysseus Drifts July 10, 2011 at 7:35 pm

p.s. I think the fake itinerary looks pretty incredible. You should totally follow it. :)

Kim July 10, 2011 at 7:53 pm

That was the itinerary we originally laid out when we started planning. Now we know we probably won’t follow any kind of planned itinerary. But yeah, it’s pretty badass! Maybe it will work out like that.

Gillian @OneGiantStep July 10, 2011 at 8:07 pm

OMG…you have J and I laughing out loud!!! I love that he had his own shelf…but I think he’s totally going to kick ass buried in the yard!

Kim July 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I think he’s going to kick ass too. We’ve had some good luck so far. St. Joseph has made me a believer!

Kristin M July 10, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I think y’all should have no problems selling your house for a couple reasons:

1. Your house is adorable.

2. St. Joseph should be extra-willing to help y’all since you were so nice to him and even sat down to have a heart-to-heart with him. How could he refuse your request?

Also, your haircut is so cute!

Best of luck to y’all! I hope you can nab a buyer really quick so you won’t have to worry about owning a house much longer! Sending good vibes and thoughts out your way!

Kim July 10, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Hi Krisin. Thanks, we think the house is pretty cute too. I am hoping that my extra effort convincing St. Joseph of the validity of our cause will pay off!!

Maureen@Vaco-Vitae July 11, 2011 at 7:21 am

I’s heard of the St. Joe benefits when we sold our house back in 2008, but it never dawned on me to TALK to the ol’ boy! (Let alone take him on a virtual round-the-world-tour for added measure.)

Even with my ineptitude, we sold our house in 3 months, so I think you’ll do just fine. I used to live in Portland (for a time, before we went location-independent) and the area where you’re trying to sell is fabulous. You’ll do fine (especially if people are already peeking in your windows!).
Maureen@Vaco-Vitae recently posted..On Serendipity

Kim July 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I really, really hope that you are right. We are having some encouraging signs right now so I think St. Joe is pulling for us!

Amy Riley July 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

Ha ha ha ha just read this – disregard my other question about showings. LOL. This is great – must get a statue of St. Joseph for us. I love love love your new haircut. I will be happy for you but so so jealous if you sell before us!!!

Kim July 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Amy, now that you’ve got a St. Joseph of your own I know we are just weeks away from the bubbly/skype date!

Lily (Explore for a Year) July 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Hi Kim,

Congratulations for taking this crazy leap! I’m sure St. Joseph will look after you guys. Maybe good karma be with you :D Love your new ‘do by the way!

– Lily

P.S. Of course St. Joseph and Buddha can sit together! :P

Miel July 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Great post! Wishing you all the luck in selling your place quickly and smoothly. I’m glad to have the tip of St. Joseph! Cute place though, and snoopers by is a good sign indeed!

On a couple of asides, I’m glad it isn’t your itinerary. I’m certain it would make for a great trip, but there are many of my favorite places on earth that weren’t on that agenda. Perhaps I’ll write a post about places in the world not to miss!

Love the haircut as well. Might as well go short now, as travel hair tends to go the other direction.

Great to meet you as well.

Cheers,

Miel

Kim July 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Lily!

Kim July 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Miel, I would LOVE to hear about your favorite places in the world!! Wish we would have had more of a chance to talk the other day. It was great to meet you.

sarah bott July 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I love how much time you spent with St. Joseph explaining your intentions and showing him around the neighborhood.

Buddha and the Virgin Mary co-exist on my mantle. I find myself wondering what they talk about when the rest of the house is asleep.

Why did you bury him head down? What if he passes out?

Kim July 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Sarah, I bet their conversations are fabulous!

I can’t remember exactly why we buried St. Joseph head down but I KNOW that there is a reason. I think part of the reasoning is so that he works harder to get back out. All I know is that when we pull him out at the end of this he will have a place of honor on our shelf for the rest of time!

Lorna - the roamantics July 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm

wishing you ooooodles of offers over asking price kim & brian! my mom almost went into foreclosure on our house when she and my step-dad divorced when i was in high school. then she heard about burying st. joseph, did just as you did, and BAM! house sold! can you hear the offers coming?? ch-ching! :D

Kim July 13, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Oh boy, do I have a story for you guys…. I can’t wait to tell it!!! I am a St. Joseph believer!!