When The Sun Shines in Portland

by Kim on May 1, 2011 · 20 comments

Sometimes the sun does come out in Portland.

That’s when us Portlanders rub our weary eyes, climb from beneath our piles of books and knitting needles, and head outside to revel in the sunshine.

Bluegrass street musicians

Herbs for sale at the farmers market

A look towards the west hills

The best way to experience Portland- by bike!

Fresh from the farm

Slackliners practice downtown

Street musicians- these ladies were amazing

A deal?

A downtown park

Where shall we go next?

Portland- the city of roses

Torre (@fearfulgirl) May 2, 2011 at 2:05 am

Ooh, can I come and ride my bike there with you?

Kim May 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Yes, please!

Amy Riley May 2, 2011 at 6:49 am

Great pics! Cannot wait to get out there at the end of THIS month!

Kim May 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Yeah! I hope the sun comes out for you when you are here!

NodToStyle May 2, 2011 at 8:42 am

wasn’t it an amazing day?! i spent 7 hours walking around the city, so nice.

Kim May 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Alllmooosssttt made me forget those six months of rain. ALMOST! Portland always takes me right to the edge and just as I’m rearing to jump she pulls me back.

Scott - Quirky Travel Guy May 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I love the parks and street musicians in Portland. Great pics!
Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..LA In Songs

Kim May 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Scott. You just can’t beat the parks in Portland, that’s for sure!

Amanda May 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I love this! There’s nothing quite like the first taste of great weather. I don’t mean to rub it in . . . but we’ve been rocking the sunshine for many weeks now. It’s even reached 90 degrees! Gorgeous morning after gorgeous morning it is nice to just be outside, with skin exposed and sunlight filtering through trees. There is nothing like it. Of course by the time mid-afternoon hits we’re peeling our thighs off the seats of chairs and contemplating the air conditioning. But MAN sun rays? Beams? Newly tanned skin? I. Love. It.
Amanda recently posted..a simple- beautiful breath

Kim May 2, 2011 at 8:00 pm

You ARE rubbing it in but that’s okay. We are months and months away from peeling our thighs off of seats, but I can’t wait for the day.

Maryjean May 3, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hi Kim,

These pics are totally making me homesick. On a good note, the 2 feet of snow here is almost gone and the trees are starting to bud. I’m so excited for your soon to come adventures.

MJ

Kim May 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm

MJ, the summer will be AMAZING! All that sunlight! I still can’t believe you up and moved to Alaska. You are an inspiration to me!

wendy May 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm

So close to work on the weekend? Daredevil!

Miss you. Cant wait to run!

Kim May 3, 2011 at 8:46 pm

ONLY the sun can draw me close to work on the weekend. I even took a picture of a Benson Bubbler! Miss you too! Can’t wait for a long run full of New Zealand adventure stories!!

Amanda May 3, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Did Brian take these pics? Love them!

Kim May 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Nope, I did. It was fun. I think I might like that photography thing after all.

Miel May 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for sharing Kim. Great to see Portland. Sorry I won’t be in the city on this trip. Miss it!

Miel
Miel recently posted..Wally Jones Passing On

Kim May 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Miel. The sun will shine again, I’m sure. Hopefully when you are here visiting.

Janet May 31, 2011 at 11:47 am

yes i’ve been to many of these places!! expat in the philippines now but seeing pictures makes me miss home a lot :) one minor detail though: upon closer inspection (as in clicking the picture for closeup), the ‘tightropers’ are actually slacklining. it’s a subculture hobby started by outdoor enthusiasts in the rock climbing world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacklining i only know because i have a dedicated slackliner/rockclimbing friend :D
Janet recently posted..Why I Sit

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Ohh… I will change it! I don’t want to piss off hot rock climbing men slackliners. Thanks for the heads up.