Retreat No Matter The Cost

by Kim on May 30, 2011 · 35 comments

Brian and I were in Cleveland last weekend for the wedding of one of my best girlfriends.  It was a beautiful event.  The weather was perfect and the bride was stunning.  Congratulations Kelly and Ben.  To quote the Apache Wedding Prayer, May your days be good and long upon the earth.

We left Cleveland on Sunday evening.  Perhaps I should have known trouble was brewing when, en route to our layover in Houston, Texas, we experienced the kind of pray-for-your-life turbulence that had me bargaining with God.  I later deducted that we were flying over the severe storms and deadly tornadoes that struck the mid-west that day.

The Texas turbulence was the beginning of an immensely stressful and scary week for us.  It was just so.damn.long.  Everything is fine now, but Brian and I came out the other end feeling tired and battered. (To our friends who helped us through it: Brad, Annie, Jake, Joanne, and Oliver- thank you a million times).

Retreat no matter the cost

We’re saving every dime for our trip but sometimes exceptions are necessary.  We didn’t just want to relax and escape, we needed to.

I pulled out the checkbook, declared screw it all, and booked a last minute trip to the coast.  We rented a great big house with a gigantic bathtub and holed up in our favorite little town of Manzanita.  We shoved our dogs in the car, packed stacks of books, banana pancake mix, movies, board games, pajama pants, loads of coffee and we retreated

Brian takes on all 600 597 pieces of a puzzle.

Mimosas and homemade breakfast in the morning sunshine.

Brian walks with our daughters doggers.

The clouds roll in over Manzanita.

I love this picture.  The evening sun turns Brian orange.

What’s a visit to the coast without Saltwater Taffy?

One happy dog.

The hilly streets of Manzanita.

A peaceful Sunday afternoon.

The rocky and beautiful Oregon Coast.

Seagulls wait for the storm to roll in.

Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach, OR

We crawled out of our little hole three days later, rested and much improved.

Sometimes you’ve just got to run away with the one you love.

Now we’re back and ready for action.

Bring it on, bitches.

Gillian @OneGiantStep May 30, 2011 at 4:41 pm

My stomach turns just thinking about the turbulence…think smooth flight thoughts for my flight to Portland this week! I’m glad to hear that you and Brian managed to get away to recover from whatever personal turbulence you were experiencing. Your right; sometimes immediate need trumps any and all long term plans. The big goal is not meant to be made at the sacrifice of absolutely everything else. Good for you guys for realizing it. Hope all is well now. Cheers!
Gillian @OneGiantStep recently posted..A Letter From The Past

Kim May 30, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I will definitely send all of my smooth-flight energy your way! Can’t wait to drink a beer with you on FRIDAY! Yay!

Carmel May 31, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Hope you enjoy Portland, Gillian!

Lauren May 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I am happy you two had such a wonderful and relaxing weekend. Good for you for taking the time and money for a much needed retreat. I love the pictures, especially the one of B glowing and the pic of Bear with stick. But I must point out although there are a couple pics of Bear and Macy, you never have just a picture or mention of Macy alone, but many of pics and mentions of Bear alone… I smell doggie discrimination.

By the way, my daughter couldn’t stop staring at the laptop as I read this post. I think she is a somanyplaces fan. A moment later, she spit boobie milk up all over the keyboard and screen. So, then again, I am not sure.

Love you both! Tell my brother to call me when he is up to it. No hurry. Send my love to the puppers, too!

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Lauren, how did I know you would point that out? LOL. I just didn’t have any good pictures of Macy. She doesn’t “pose” like Bear does.

Your daughter wants to come visit her aunt and uncle in Oregon! She can barf on somanyplaces in person!

Jennie Day-Burget June 2, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Bwahah. Lauren’s comment about boobie milk made me giggle. Thanks for the LOL, Lauren!

Kim June 3, 2011 at 7:28 am

She’s a funny one :)

Garrett May 30, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I was just there a month ago! Loved it. We did a Seattle to OR Coast to Portland tour. Decided to focus on beer instead of pinot while we were there, a very wise decision. Did you make it to Pok Pok?

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Beer over Pinot is always a wise decision. I have not been to Pok Pok but hear great things. We must go! What should I order?

Jennifer Barry May 30, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I live in Texas so I can vouch for it being a tough week! I spent about an hour huddling in the closet as multiple funnel clouds moved over my neighborhood. Glad you made it home safe. :)

It is about 90 degrees here at 11 pm so your pictures look so refreshing! I’m a sucker for a cute dog pic anyway.
Jennifer Barry recently posted..Jack and Jill Around the World

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Hi Jennifer, I’m glad you survived those funnel clouds. I have a massive fear of tornados thanks to my mid-western roots (we weren’t exactly in tornado alley, but it felt like it!).

Dang, 90 degrees at 11 pm, I’ve almost forgotten what that was like. It was warm in Cleveland and it was a relief to come back to Oregon. I do miss the sunshine though…

JoAnn May 31, 2011 at 12:00 am

You have no idea how luxurious doing a 597 piece puzzle looks to a mommy of two kids!

That trip looked like a great way to get centered again.

You guys are the best neighbors and I’m glad we could be there for you. You’re part of our Portland Family!

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Hey Jo, we are so lucky to have you guys. We love our Portland family too :) If you need a puzzle night (or a date night) let us know. We love to hang out with those boys of yours. XO

jill- Jack and JIll Travel May 31, 2011 at 4:10 am

Glad you guys went ahead and booked a trip. Penny pinching continuously can be tough on your mental health, give a bad week on top of that and … yeah, sounds like a weekend retreat is just what the doctor ordered.

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Thanks Jack and Jill. It sure was. We’re feeling much better right now. If that sets our trip back a week- who cares? The time we took now was well worth it.

Maureen at Vaco-Vitae May 31, 2011 at 6:03 am

My husband and I spent nearly a year in beautiful Manzanita. It’s the perfect place to rest and rejuvenate! I even know where you bought that taffy!

I think the mark of a successful traveler is knowing when to stick to the plan and knowing when to abandon it–be it temporarily or permanently. Sounds like you used excellent judgement to take a moment to breathe and regroup.

You couldn’t have picked a more idyllic spot!
Maureen at Vaco-Vitae recently posted..Balancing work and play when you’re location indpendent

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Six months in Manzanita? I’m jealous! That little town is magical. I spent hours each day running and walking around the roads. I absolutely love the feeling of being in the mountains and at the ocean at once. PS, the taffy was amazing. The grape and chocolate chip cookie taffy were my favorites.

Scott - Quirky Travel Guy May 31, 2011 at 9:40 am

Awesome! I find a need a mental break every few months, even if it’s just two days in a secluded campground. That sort of thing does wonders for the spirit!
Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Hang with wax celebs at Madame Tussauds Hollywood

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Hi Scott, you are totally right. As we were out at the beach we kept commenting on the fact that we need to go camping ASAP. So many amazing places to camp in Oregon.

Carmel May 31, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I’ve been contemplating one of those getaways myself. I had a particularly stressful week last week and all I wanted to do was dump all our plans and run away for the weekend–anywhere. Unfortunately the cold bug caught me before I could make any plans. Oh well. I guess that was another way of telling me to slow down.

Kim May 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Ah, yes, it seems like the cold always catches up at the wrong time. Hope you are feeling better, we have happy hour beers tomorrow you know :) The getaway was fantastic, totally worth it. I feel rested and ready to take on the world!

Carmel June 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

Wah wah….hopefully some of that nice weather we’re supposed to have this weekend will want to stick around for our beers next week.
Carmel recently posted..Absurdly Decadent Cupcakes

Maryjean June 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Hi Kim,

I’m so glad you made it home safely. I love your pictures of the Oregon Coast. I already miss it! I’m glad you took the time for much needed relaxation. Everyone needs down time!

Cheers,
MJ

Kim June 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Thanks MJ. How is Alaska treating you? We miss you in Oregon!

Jason June 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Looks like a nice getaway. We try to splurge on a nice relaxing coastal trip once or twice a year. If we don’t, we go crazy!!!

Kim June 3, 2011 at 7:28 am

Jason, it was fabulous. Do you guys go to Manzanita? I’d love other great coastal retreat recommendations if you have any.

Jason June 3, 2011 at 10:23 am

During storms, or anytime, we think the best place to be is at The Inn in Spanish Head in Lincoln City. I recommend the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th floors. The first floor is on the beach, and during storms the waves can come right up to the foundation! Each room is individually owned, so the decor is different in each room. I can look up the room number of our favorite one bedroom suite there, if you like. After writing this I now have a sudden urge to go there :)

Kim June 4, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Jason, thanks! That sounds amazing. I actually love the rain/storms on the coast- so relaxing and romantic. We will check out The Inn in Spanish Head for sure. Hope you guys get back there soon :)

Jason June 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Room 337 is the one bedroom suite that we love!!! It has amazing tile work and a gas fireplace. It is the only room that we have stayed in with a fireplace!

Kim June 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Awesome… thanks Jason. A glass fireplace, a storm rolling in and a good Oregon beer… that about sounds like heaven to me.

Mike Lenzen | Traveled Earth June 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Totally sweet jumping photo at the end.
Mike Lenzen | Traveled Earth recently posted..DayOne in Las Vegas

Kim June 14, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Thanks Mike! It’s all about timing.

Lee Ann July 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Wow — the weekend in Manzanita sounds GLORIOUS! What great memories you two made; great pictures, too!! Thank you so much for this blog. I’m kinda living vicariously through you. I never QUITE had the guts — or the support… You go, Girl!!!

Kim July 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Hi Lee Ann. The weekend was AMAZING. I am already dreaming of another weekend on the coast- so totally relaxing.

I only sorta have the guts and am very blessed that when I freak out and wonder what the hell I’m doing I have amazing people all around to keep me moving forward. Support is everything.