9 Months Until Our RTW!

by Kim on April 3, 2011 · 15 comments

Photo by St_A_Sh

9 Months Until We Travel The World

I wasn’t going to post an end-of-the-month wrap up this time around because I don’t have a lot to report.  But, since I like traditions, I’m just going to throw this one out there for old times sake.

Our trip is nine months away!  That’s the gestation period of a human!  If our trip was an embryo it’d be shaking its tail and preparing to sprout an eye or two.

Honestly, though, it’s kind of depressing to continue the countdown like we’ll be leaving in nine months when we know good and well that our departure date is probably closer to twelve months away.  But as I’ve said before I just can’t let go of that original date yet.  And so I continue the countdown with our first departure date (January 2012) and savings goal in mind and hope that we can somehow manage to save lots of extra money between now and then (so far that looks unlikely).

The March wrap-up

The month of March was a tough one for us.  The weather in Portland has been miserable.  It rained every single day but one last month and never got above 60 degrees.  That apparently has not happened since the 1950’s.  It was a crappy month, weather wise, and it was tough not being able to book a trip to some sunny destination to escape the madness because yes, we are lucky, and would have done that in the past without thinking twice about it.

March was also a kinda bad savings month for us.  We saved about $400 less than average.  Mostly because Brian is paid on a wacky schedule and February was a short month and somehow through the dark art of mathematics that equaled less money in our savings account.  The good news is that we’ve finally reached 2/3rds of our savings goal .  Well, our original savings goal that is.  Erg.

Oh, now I’m acting like March kicked us in the shins and stole our lunch money.  March wasn’t that bad.  There were some bright spots.

Brian wrote his first ever blog post and it was the most popular post on this site to date.  He wrote about his experience as the slightly less enthusiastic part of a traveling couple.  It was a really brave post, if I do say so myself, and it received a ton of positive feedback (thanks everybody!).  In the future, Brian will post from time to time so that you guys can follow his progression as well.

I wrote a guest post over at the Fearful Adventurer.  The assignment was to write 400 words on the topic “Holy Sh#t I Almost Died.”  Because I’ve never really had a near death experience (thankfully) I decided to write a story that would (hopefully) make people giggle.  It’s called Saved by Hulk Hogan.  Check it out, it’s a true story!

I also wrote a guest post over at Ending the Grind called Leaving The Grind To Live My Dreams. It’s always fun to guest-write on other blogs and reach a different audience.

We also reached 100 friends on Facebook!  If you haven’t yet ‘liked’ So Many Places Travel Blog you can do so by clicking here (and I appreciate it!).

I’m writing this post on April 1st and the sun came out today, no joke!  Spring, then summer, is just around the corner.  I know once the longer, warmer days reach us time will really fly by.

I hope the month of March was a good one for all of you and that April is even better.

Gillian @OneGiantStep April 3, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I like that you can’t give in to the original date yet. You never know.

Kim April 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm

You never know! That’s why I can’t let it go :)

Amy April 4, 2011 at 5:28 am

I agree with Gillian you just never know! I would hang on to
That date too!

Kim April 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Amy! I love that you guys support it and don’t think I’m crazy!!

Tracy April 4, 2011 at 7:31 am

I’m a new reader to your blog! Congratulations on making the decision to travel, you won’t regret it! You never know, you might be able to leave on time after all, you can’t give up hope and if it takes you a few extra months to save just think of everything you will be able to experience because of those extra savings (totally worth it)! We planned an 18 month trip and extended it to 2 years with our “extra” savings. It’s so much better to have a little too much than not enough. I’m looking forward to following along on your travels!

Kim April 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Hi Tracy, thank you for reading! Your story is inspiring so thank you for telling it. I love (and need) to hear stories like yours. I’m so happy to have you following along :)

Torre (@fearfulgirl) April 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I’m feeling your excitement! Before you know it, you’ll be craving pickles dipped in ice-cream.

Thanks for your fantastic article on my blog. Your post sent my stats through the roof!

Kim April 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Hi Torre. Your comments always make me laugh! I’m glad that my article brought people to your blog. Now that they’ve discovered how awesome you are I’m sure they won’t leave!

Lauren April 5, 2011 at 6:26 am

So exciting! Those 9 months will just fly by! :)

Kim April 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Hi Lauren. I sure hope so!

Jason April 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm

This weather is REALLY getting to me. At least the sum is out today, but for how long? We are SOOOOO looking forward to our trip to Central America next month. At least they have warm rain :)

Kim April 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I am JEALOUS of your trip to Central America next month!!! I will kill for a trip to someplace sunny or at least warm! It is soooo hard saving every penny because I can’t justify an escape but this weather really makes me feel like I need a trip to save myself! The sun today was wonderful but I can never fully enjoy it because I’m worried about when it will leave. Anyway, here’s hoping we get some more sunny days.