Save $10K a Year

by Kim on February 6, 2011 · 25 comments

Save $10K a Year.  Seriously.

That’s my friend Jessy counting her money during a girls weekend in Vegas.  She’ll kill me when she finds out I put her picture on here.  This is a test to find out if she reads my blog.

Part 3 in a 4-part series on how to save money and make your dreams come true.

In part 1 of this series I wrote about how Brian and I are saving money to fund our dreams.  In part 2 I wrote about ways we’re saving money at home.  Today I’m writing about tips and tricks we use to save money on our bills.  Not all of these tips are practical for everyone, I know. Others result in relatively small savings, but small savings add up, and every single dollar brings us one step closer to quitting our jobs and traveling around the world

To get us started, here is a comprehensive list of all of the bills that Brian and I paid one year ago.  Keep in mind that a few of the bills we receive once every other month (trash) or once every three months (water, soccer dues).  A few bills we paid just once annually (magazine subscriptions).  I’m including them all for the sake of this exercise.  Note that I am not including our mortgage in this list of bills.  Our mortgage has remained steady throughout time, we haven’t refinanced or taken any other steps to lower our payment.

Bills in January 2010

Kim’s credit card- $100

Brian’s credit card- $100

Cell phones- $70 (already low, we do not have Blackberrys or iPhones because of the high cost of data plans)

Electric bill- $125

Cable and Internet- $92

Brian’s parking spot at work- $40

Car payment- $157

Car insurance- $142

Kim’s school loans- $222

Brian’s school loans- $105

Trash and recycling- $51 every other month or $25.50/mo.

Water- $158 every three months or $53/mo.

Gym memberships (both of us)- $76

Bus pass- $38 (subsidized through work)

Magazine subscriptions- $181 one time cost (People, US Weekly, Runners World)

Soccer dues- $210 every three months or $70/mo.

Total bills per month in January 2010: $1596.50

Now let’s look at our January 2011 bills.

Bills in January 2011

Kim’s credit card- $100We made it a priority to pay off our credit cards and we rarely use them now.  There is no trick to pay off credit cards except to stop using them.  This takes discipline and sacrifice.  You can’t buy what you bought before, but guess what?  You’ll live.  And once your credit cards are paid off you can put all of that extra money in your savings account.  Total credit card bill now: $0

Brian’s credit card- $100 Paid off: $0

Cell phones- $70 (already low, we do not have Blackberrys or Iphones due to the high cost of data plans)

Electric bill- $125

Cable and Internet- $92We cancelled our cable and now only pay for Internet.  I don’t even remotely miss HGTV, but if I did, I could always watch it online for free.  New charge: $60

Brian’s parking spot at work- $40 Brian took a job closer to home so he no longer car commutes.  Now, he rides the bus to work with a free bus pass provided by his employer.  I know this isn’t a feasible tip for everyone but what is important is to understand how much money you spend commuting to work and parking once you’re there.  Once you know how much you spend, deduct that from your take-home pay.  Maybe taking a job closer to home, even if it pays a little less, will make financial sense in the long run.

Car payment- $157 Because Brian took a new job we were able to sell our car and get rid of our monthly car payment.  We do own another car, an old 1995 Nissan that we do not have a car payment on.  It isn’t as reliable as our old car but that’s just one more incentive not to drive more than we have to.

Car insurance- $142 We had to carry full insurance on our car since we were still paying it off.  Now that it’s sold, we carry minimal insurance on our junker.  Current bill: $71

Kim’s school loans- $222 I have two school loans, and I’m only three months away from paying one of them off.  When that happens, my new payment will be only $100/mo.  For now though, I’m still at $222.

Brian’s school loans- $105

Trash and recycling- $51 every two months or $25.50/mo.  Here’s a tip: Our trash company offers a once-a-month pickup service for half the cost we pay now.  We haven’t switched yet, but plan to.

Water- $158 every three months or $53/mo. $138 every three months or $46/mo. We disconnected our downspouts and saved $22 per bill on our stormwater charges.  Check with your local water utility to find out if they offer a similar incentive.  New cost: $46/mo.

Gym memberships (both of us)- $76 We cancelled our gym memberships and run, bike and hike instead.  Despite my fear, I do still fit into my pants.

Bus pass- $38 (I pay only half the cost through work) I cancelled my bus pass and began biking to work.  Not only does this save me the cost of buying a pass each month, but my employer actually pays me $38 a month to do it!

Magazine subscriptions- $181 (People, US Weekly, Runners World)  I cancelled them all.  Now I just flip through the magazines in the grocery check-out line and still stay pretty up-to-date on all my celebrity gossip.  Remember, it’s a weakness of mine

Soccer dues- $210 every three months or $70 a month I was playing on three soccer teams and Brian on one.  I dropped my most expensive team to cut our costs down to $150 every three months.  We love to play soccer, so we won’t give this up.  New cost: $50/mo.

Total bills in January 2011: $774.50 – $38 to bike to work= $736.50

In one year we’ve cut our bills by $860 per month.  That’s an extra $10,320 dollars we can save to travel the world!

I know that most people aren’t able to sell their car and bike everywhere and that for some paying off credit cards is years away.  What I’m trying to demonstrate by displaying our bills to the world is that there are simple ways to reduce your bills each month.  Do you really need cable, DVR and that fancy smart phone?  Maybe you do.  For Brian and I, our priority is traveling, so we’re making due without things we might otherwise think we need.  Saving money is about sacrifice and priorities and, trust me, I think about that as I climb on my bike at 6am when it’s 34 degrees and pouring down rain (hello, Portland).  But when I’m exploring the temples in Thailand and trekking through the mountains in Nepal I imagine that it will all be worth it.

Jill - Jack and Jill Travel The World February 6, 2011 at 9:34 am

That is so cool, Kim!! And I second getting rid of a 2nd car — being mobile (not owning a house) has allowed us to move to wherever the jobs are so we can ride our bike and use our 1 car only on weekends and it has saved us sooo much money.

Kim February 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

Thanks Jill. It is insane how much cars cost! Car payment, car insurance, gas, maintenance, tag renewal, etc.- it all adds up to thousands of dollars a year. Long live the bicycle!

Gillian @OneGiantStep February 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Excellent work guys! Just goes to show that you can afford whatever you make your priority. Maybe you’ll miss what you’re giving up but, like you said, when you’re hiking in the Himalayas you’ll be glad you did! Cheers!

Kim February 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Absolutely. Thanks for the support, Gillian!

Lily (Explore for a Year) February 7, 2011 at 8:21 am

Hi Kim,

Isn’t it incredible how much one can save over the course of the year by just reducing a few dollars here and there?

I went through a similar money saving/expense cutting exercise before my trip – turned out that not drinking my daily $4.10 Starbucks Frappuccino for a month is enough for a month of lunch in Southeast Asia.

Sometimes it was hard to give myself incentive to save a few dollars because, well, it seemed so little, but the purchasing power goes a long way in other countries. Saving on a coffee in Canada is more like saving on a lunch in Asia!

– Lily

Kim February 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Hi Lily. Yes, I’m beginning to try to think of things regarding how they’ll relate to our trip. For example, we could go out to dinner and spend $50 or we could live for a day in SE Asia on the money. It does help keep me motivated.

Eden R February 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

Congratulations, you deserve a big pat on the back!! Great job on ‘tweaking’ your world to make room for your goals, your rewards will be plentiful!

Kim February 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Eden!

Peter February 8, 2011 at 5:08 am

Well done! just a little tweaking and sacrifice can go a really long way! It isn’t much of a sacrifice either when you think of the what it’s for. I don’t see any comments from Jessy here, did she find out you used the pic, lol?

Cheers!

Kim February 8, 2011 at 7:34 am

Hi Peter. Yep, no comments from Jessy yet. I guess I’ve learned the truth :)

Jessy Broyles February 8, 2011 at 11:52 am

No, she figured it out. She says she’s slightly embarrassed but if it gets the point across on her friends blog than she is ok with it.

Tijmen February 8, 2011 at 5:50 am

Great that you are able so save so much money every month! I have been paying attention a lot lately as well to what I buy. It was amazing how much crap I acually bought that wasnt really necessary. That extra money would be very usefull for a RTW trip :)

Kim February 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

Hi Tijmen, I know! It’s so easy to spend unconsciously and all those little bits add up!

Melvin February 9, 2011 at 1:11 pm

That’s more or less the way we did it. If you really want to travel long term, you can save a huge amount in a relatively short period.

In that period it’s not that you can’t have fun anymore. You just have to see what’s really worth having.

Kim February 9, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Hi Melvin. I know, it’s kind of shocking how much you can save. I went back and did the calculations five times because I couldn’t believe we’d cut our bills (and saved) so much, but it’s true.

And you are so right- we still have tons of fun! We really don’t feel like we’re sacrificing anything. It is seriously a win-win.

Spencer Spellman February 24, 2011 at 2:01 pm

This is great. Came across you from your comment at Lauren Rains’ Mad to Live blog. I don’t even use credit cards anymore, partly because my credit now won’t allow me to get one, however, that is a big one . This is a great case study of how you can make it happen.

Excited to follow your trip. While my circumstances are a little different, since I work full time, I’ve been traveling and living abroad since August and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. Have no car or home to go back to in the states, and while I go back every few months, it’s ever so brief.

Following you guys now on Twitter and look forward to connecting more!

Kim February 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Hi Spencer, thanks so much for the comment. I just checked out your blog and love it. An honest to god paycheck earning travel writer- oh how I aspire to that some day! I’m following along with you as well, I love your blog by the way, it looks very sharp. We will stay connected :)

margot April 15, 2011 at 3:27 am

I mean this to be helpful, not critical – if you hope to make a living as a writer, you might want to take a course before you leave or read a few of the famous books on writing. Your posts are full of small grammatical errors (such as the first sentence in this blog, which should be “girls’ weekend,” not “girls weekend.” Good/near-perfect writing is so important to blogs and, obviously, to professional writing.

Kim April 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

Hi Margo, actually, I AM a writer and I have never been good at apostrophes (or commas). I’ll have my editor change it.

Webmaster makemoneyadvice.net December 18, 2012 at 10:51 am

Hi all, here every person is sharing these kinds of know-how, so it�s nice to read this website, and I used to go to see this blog daily.