We’re going to travel around the world!!

by Kim on January 9, 2011 · 39 comments

We’re Going To Travel the World

Holy crap!  After saying just a few weeks ago that we were going to hold off telling our friends and family about this website, I went ahead and made the leap.  I was motivated to make the announcement because telling people gives us fuel to work even harder towards our goal.  So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive.  We are blessed to have amazing people in our lives.

So, I guess what I’m saying is, hi mom and dad!

I thought it would be fun to post the email that we sent to friends and family.  It took me forever to craft it and I was sweating with anxiety as I hit the send button.  I have no idea why it is so hard to send an announcement like this to people that love and care about us, but it makes me feel very vulnerable.  Vulnerability is a feeling that’s been hanging around quite a bit lately, and I’m trying to become comfortable with it.  I’ve never before announced to the world that I’m pursuing my biggest dreams, so I guess it’s only natural that it’s created some emotions that I’m not completely comfortable with.  It’s liberating and nerve-wracking all at once, sort of like dancing naked down the street.

So, without further ado…

Here it is, THE EMAIL.

Hi friends and family,

As many of you know, Brian and I have been planning for some time now to pursue a shared dream of traveling the world.  In the past year and a half we’ve been scrimping and saving, slowly selling our things, minimizing our bills, and planning our escape (at least temporarily) from the mundane life of cube-ville.  We aren’t quite on the next plane to New Zealand (the first stop on our itinerary), but we’re getting closer.

Additionally, I’ve been pursuing my lifelong dream of writing for a living.  I’ve had a bit of success, been published a few times and, while I made a measly $900 in writing-generated income last year, I’ve at least managed to crack open a few doors (that’s the hardest part, right?).

In the crossroads of these two dreams lives my website: www.so-many-places.com.  I’ve hesitated in sharing the site with you because, well, now that we’ve announced our plans to everyone it feels really real, and there are still so many things that could stand in our way.  Regardless, I’ve created the website so that you, our friends and family, can follow along on our journey.

I also hope that the site may eventually generate income for us as we travel (as other travel bloggers have been able to do).  In order to do this, I need as many “subscribers,” “hits,” and “readers” as possible, so please, please, please sign up if you are interested and pass the site along to anyone else you think might want to read it.

Thank you all for your love and support.  Those that already know of our plans have been overwhelmingly supportive and the few naysayers that I have encountered have served as a reminder that following the path of least resistance leaves some humans terrified of taking risks.  It’s a place I never hope to be.

Our departure date is not until January 2012 and a few things need to fall into place before then (like selling our house, eek), so you aren’t rid of us yet.

As we wrestle with the odd concoction of anxiety and anticipation we feel about leaving life as we know it, I’ve been nudged along by a quote that has become something of a mantra for me lately:

“There comes a time when one must risk everything or sit forever with ones dreams.”

That time is drawing near for us, and we hope you’ll follow along.

Much love,

Kim and Brian

_________________________________________________

Do you like what you’ve read? Keep up with our journey by subscribing to email updates or by following the So Many Places Facebook page.

Gillian January 9, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Yay!!! Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel…that heady mix of excitement and anxiety that can see you one minute smiling and laughing like a goon, and the next minute balling your eyes out feeling like your going to puke. Get used to it…it’s a crazy ride!! Here’s a link to the first post I wrote announcing our plans to the world: http://one-giant-step.com/tipping-our-han/ Hitting publish on that first post and sending the link out was one of the best things I ever did. People love you and want to see you happy – you’ll continue to be surprised!! Cheers!!

Kim January 9, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I love it! Wow, I can’t believe you were able to keep quiet until you had your house on the market. I tried, but obviously failed, at that one.

What I’ve realized just today from the responses I’ve received from friends and family is that by opening up about it, my friends and family are responding to me with their own stories and dreams. I’m learning so much about people I thought I already knew so well. I guess it is true that you receive what you put out into the world. Being honest and vulerable is allowing others to respond to me in the same way.

Seriously, isn’t life so amazing sometimes? I’m continuously inspired by people like you, Gillian, and others who have charged forward despite fear.

Jill - Jack and Jill Travel The World January 10, 2011 at 7:55 am

Congrats on hitting that ‘send’ button — what a sure way to keep the momentum on preparation and research. We’ll be following along, good luck!

Kim January 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

@ Jack and Jill. Thanks. It was scary but already well worth it. I had no idea that so many people that I know have done trips like this, like my neighbor who told me he traveled solo around the world for 16 months! Who knew I had these amazing resources right in my own back yard (literally)?

April Thompson January 12, 2011 at 4:35 am

Congrats on breaking the news and good luck as you prepare for the big departure date!

Garreth January 13, 2011 at 8:31 am

That’s awesome you’ve told everyone. I’m sure you got some great feedback to go along with it! The only people from home that know about my site are those that im going travelling with and my mum and dad. They still think it’s only going to be a kind of gap-year after graduating thing but it’s going to much more than that. I’m gonna wait till June (2 weeks before I leave) to send a similar kind of email to friends and family. Good luck with the rest of the saving and planning (and selling your house!).

Kim January 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thanks Garreth. Yeah, it was hard to keep it in once I decided that we might as well and just tell everyone. Of course, people at work don’t know (for the most part) and it is kind of tricky keeping it all separated since social media these days kind of blurs the line between work life and home life. Anyway, I’m glad I shared the news, we’ve gotten a lot of support and good advice. It’s good your mom and dad know! They’ll be your biggest support and it’s good to keep them in the loop, since they’ll likely be the biggest worriers as well. I can’t wait to follow along on your travels :)

Talon (@1Dad1Kid) January 13, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Congrats! Makes it “more real” now doesn’t it? :)

Kim January 14, 2011 at 5:23 am

@ Talon It really, really does!

Cath January 14, 2011 at 1:21 am

Congratulations! Our experience when we told family we were going to live full time in Italy was very mixed so be prepared as the time gets closer for people to be scared for you. Come and visit us when you’re at the Italy part of your travels – and that’s a genuine offer.

Kim January 14, 2011 at 5:25 am

@ Cath Thanks for the heads up. I’m also prepared as time gets closer for me to be scared for myself. Ha! But, yes, I can see as time draws near that positions may change a bit. Hopefully the fears will ease once we are successfully navigating the globe. And, thanks for the offer to visit you in Italy! We’ll take you up on it. I’m already so warmed by the kindness of people all over the world, so thank you :)

Kim January 14, 2011 at 9:35 am

Way to go! This post reminds me of just what it was like telling our friends and family as well. AH! You’ll do great and your site looks very nice. I’m going to poke around and take a closer look!

Kim January 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm

@ Kim, thanks! It was great telling our friends and family. I’m at home visiting my parents this weekend and we just walked through my blog together- it was a lot of fun. They are being very supportive, more than I’d even hoped!

Amy January 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Kim!! Congrats!! I am so happy for you both, I cant hardly stand it! I think this is your perfect time and I am thrilled you invited us all on this journey with you! Best of luck to you both.

Xoxoxo
Amy Dvorak

PS. What is your plan for computing? I have an ipad and love it.

PPS. Can you start a blog devoted entirely to food and drink?!

Kim January 19, 2011 at 10:40 am

@ Amy Thanks!! I haven’t planned for computing yet. I think Brian thinks we need a netbook. Personally, I want an ipad. I guess we will have to compare their capabilities, but I’m happy to know you like yours (how could you not? They’re so freaking cool). Annddd… I will be talking a LOT about food and drink. Especially drink. Lots of pictures as well.

Tran January 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Andy Warhol said it best: “You have to do stuff that average people don’t understand, because those are the only good things.” Wonderful post. Congrats to you both!

FearfulGirl January 23, 2011 at 5:50 pm

This gave me tingles to read. I’m so excited for you both: I don’t even know you, but I do know what it feels like to do what you’re doing. The journey has begun!

Kim January 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm

@FearfulGirl Thank you! Yes, the journey has begun and we are so excited.

Chas January 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Kim,
I think you should start a”Travel fund” contribution thread. No pressure, but many family and friends will be living their dream through you and Brian. I be many would like to doante to you trip. Set something up through your site and track the total, without making known who gives, or what amount they give, just the total amount given.

Kim January 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Hi Chas! Well, I should warn you that we do plan on crashing your party in Italy… so that’s a pretty great contribution. I will look in to this a bit further, and I have to say I am very humbled and appreciative that you would even bring it up. Thank you so much (and Anita too) for all of your support. XO.

Sarah Chamberlain October 12, 2011 at 8:53 am

Hi Kim, I can’t tell you how happy I am to have come across your site! I love this post, and up until now thought I was the only one having anxiety attacks over telling my family about our travel plans! Thanks for sharing the email, wierdly I never thought of notifying friends and family this way, but what a great idea, as I have so far told hardly anyone about my blog!
You are a great writer, and I am sure you will have lots of success, as you write from the heart and it translates really well onto the page,
All the best,
Sarah @ sarahsomewhere.com

Jess January 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

I spy a PR pic! <3

Kim January 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

Yes you do. I want to go back!

Jess January 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

Me too! Missing the beach and looking at flights.

Kim January 8, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Are you going back to PR???

tunimaal January 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

Hi guys, good luck with our trip, and I am glad to hear that your friends and familly were ok with ou trip….. I remember when I told to mine that I was leaving for at least a year (it was more than 2 years ago) and there reactions were funny…

Kim January 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

Looking back on it I think they were supportive because they didn’t really think we would do it! We still had so much to do… sell the house, save money, etc. They probably just thought it was another one of our big idea that would fizzle…. whaaa haaa haaa, they were wrong!

Shweta January 7, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Great read!
We weren’t announcing our dreams to travel the world or even making a living with writing, but we went through the same sentiment as you explain in this letter.
We were just moving from America to Belgium. But America meant so much to so many around us that it was a challenge to expain our viewpoint to the naysayers. At moments we wondered whether such explaination was necessary, but when its family you want them on your side.
As the time passes, more and more of them are happy to see us happy! It’s the most joyous feeling!

Kim January 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Yay, so glad it worked out and that they are all on your side. Yeah, when it is something so big and important not only do you want the ones you love on your side, but I think (at least for me) I have a very strong desire to explain to them WHY. Even though at times I can’t really explain it. Does that make any sense? Anyway, I’m sure you are enjoying the beer in Belgium. Congrats on the move.

The World of Deej January 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Way to take the leap. My wife and I have tossed around the same scenario, and I’m sure announcing it to my family would be tough. Good for you and congrats!

Kim January 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Thank you. It was a very positive experience.