Snowshoeing near Mt. Hood

by Kim on January 1, 2011 · 17 comments

Snowshoeing Mt. Hood

Happy New Decade everyone!

A few months ago I saw a fascinating TED Talk by Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman that explained how our “experiencing selves” and our “remembering selves” experience happiness differently.  Essentially, the memory of an experience is much more powerful than the actual experience of an experience.  Our remembering self is a storyteller, and our stories, our memories, are what we keep from an experience.  In the end, it isn’t how good or bad an experience is while we’re living it but the way in which we remember it that dictates how we will forever feel about it.

If that is the case, then I hope my remembering self will catalog 2010 based on the way I spent the last day of it: under a clear, blue sky in the Oregon backcountry, shadowed by Mt. Hood.

For those of you that want to embark on this snowshoeing adventure here are the details:

Driving directions to Mt. Hood

From Portland take I-84 east to the Wood Village exit, turn right off of the exit.  Continue until you reach Burnside and turn left on Burnside.  Burnside turns into Highway 26 and highway 26 will take you to Mt. Hood.  There are plenty of snowshoeing and cross country skiing trails off of Highway 26.  Park at any sno-park and look for the hiking or cross-country trails.  You’ll need a sno-park parking pass that can be purchased for $5 at Joe’s Doughnuts in Sandy (a town you’ll drive through on your way to Mt. Hood) or at any of the ski resorts.

A note about the roads: Highway 26 near Mt. Hood can be very hazardous in the wintertime.  Studded tires or tire chains are sometimes required during incliment weather (and are recommended, even when they aren’t required).  Make sure you carry the proper equipment in your car.  If you have a rental car, ask that they include tire chains.

Mt. Hood snowshoe route

For this particular route, park in the Ski-Bowl west parking lot (you’ll see signs on Highway 26).  Find the Summit Trail at the north end of the parking lot, near the overflow parking.  If you’re confused, just ask one of the parking attendants and they’ll point you in the right direction.

Mt. Hood snowshoe rentals

Snowshoes, boots, and poles are cheap and easy to rent.  We stopped in Sandy at Winter Fox Ski Shop and came out five minutes later with two sets of snowshoes, two sets of poles and one pair of waterproof boots (Brian has his own) for only $26.

Happy New Year to all of you.  I hope that 2011 brings you happiness, healthiness and adventure.

_______________________________________________________

Is the bad weather getting you down?  Make the most of the snowy season and escape to the mountains.  There are a variety of wonderful ski holidays available to you.

Lynn January 2, 2011 at 8:17 am

Hi Kim and Brian! I met your sister (Lauren) in Cincy last week – my cousin John’s GF – I live in Geneva Switz and my home is in Seattle – thanks for this post of lovely MT hood! If you plan to come thru Switz on your trip, and if I am still here when you do – please look me up – I subscribe to your blog and my email is on this post for you.

Happy New Year!

Kim January 2, 2011 at 10:32 am

Hi Lynn! Thanks for visiting! Lauren told me that John had a cool cousin living in Switzerland :) We definately plan on going there and it will probably be mid trip… so summer of 2012. I will look you up (do you know how long you’ll be there)? It would be fun to talk more- my sis lives in Seattle and I get up there pretty frequently these days. Happy New Year.

Terry January 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I am so proud (and envious!) of you two for being courageous enough to take the risk to follow your dreams! While I will certainly miss you and worry about you (hey, that’s a mom’s job – right?), I wish you the time of your life! In fact, I’m trying to convince Mike to meet you for a few days in either Russia or Argentina – two of my three dream trips!

Now the Christmas wish list makes a lot more sense!

Love, Mom

Kim January 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hi Terry! I was really dreaming that you guys would meet us in Moscow! I remember that you said it was a dream of yours to visit Red Square- it would be so fun to visit together! Of course, we would be so so so happy for you and Mike to meet with us anywhere in the world! It sure will be the adventure of a lifetime…

Spencer January 24, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I love Mt Hood. It is one of my favourite places in the whole of the USA. Absolutely beautiful.

Kim January 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hi Spencer, I really love Mt. Hood too. I think she’s one of the most beautiful mountains in the world.

Ski Vacation Trip June 14, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Looks like you have total fun in your snowshoeing adventure. Never been to Mt. Hood but I know one of these days I’ll be able to. Thanks for providing the driving directions.
Ski Vacation Trip recently posted..U N B E L I E V A B L E value in Termas de Chillan- Chile

Lisa December 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Which trail did you do from that SnoPark?

Kim December 24, 2011 at 8:59 am

Lisa, I’m not sure the trail even had a name. We parked at Ski-Bowl west and then took the trail at the very top (east) of the parking lot.

Gillian @OneGiantStep December 31, 2011 at 8:47 am

Happy New Year guys! I am so going to try snowshoeing this year…

Kim December 31, 2011 at 8:51 am

Gillian, you should! It’s soooo easy- this trip to Mt. Hood was our first time.

tunimaal January 1, 2012 at 3:08 am

Awesome for a new thing. Last year I did almost the same thing. I did snowboarding (first time in my life, snwshoeing by night, ice skating during fireworks, in Big White in Canada…

happy new year to you and all your familly. i wish you all the best

Kim January 1, 2012 at 9:53 am

Wow, that sounds amazing! Happy New Year to you as well.

Erin January 27, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Kim! Your blog is everywhere….I just googled ‘best snowshoeing spots on Mt Hood now’ and I got you !!! So fun! Hope to see you guys soon

Erin

Kim January 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Niiiice! I’ll take it :) Hope to see you too Erin.

Greg February 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

Hello! You’ve got some great pictures! I was wondering if this is a family friendly trail and the distance of this trail? Thank you! We’re heading up this weekend!

Kim February 9, 2012 at 8:07 am

Hi Greg,

Yes, the trail is definitely family friendly. It is flat and fairly short, maybe 2-3 miles. It also takes you past an innertube sledding area so, if you’ve got kids with you, or even if you don’t, you could take a rest, rent a tube and go sledding!