RTW Countdown: 11 months

by Kim on January 31, 2011 · 11 comments

11 Months Until Our RTW

Wow, it’s hard to believe that January is in the past and our around the world adventure is only 11 months away!

We took some important steps towards our goal last month.  The first and most important was telling our friends and family about our around the world travel plansThe response was overwhelming and the love continues to trickle in via email, phone calls and conversations over beer.

With 11 months left until our tentative departure date we’ve now saved 60.52% of our goal (but who’s counting?).  Just last month we saved 4.58% of the total.  We’re saving money like maniacs and it feels awesome.

We (okay, Brian) started doing some long-overdue work on the house to prep it for the market.  He fixed a hole in the ceiling, replaced the molding above the kitchen doorway, put down transition strips between the rooms and has started refinishing the kitchen cabinets and replacing the hardware.  Our goal right now is to have the house on the market by March.

We sold many of our books at Powells and some other items on ebay.  We’re just starting to mentally inventory what we want to keep and what we can get rid of.

We also purchased a bit of travel gear, namely quick drying underwear and quick drying towels.  There are still quite a few purchases we need to make and we’ll get to those in the coming months.

Every little step we take keeps moving us in the direction of our dreams.  With 11 months until departure, I’m feeling 98% excited and only 2% nervous.  We’re still far enough away from our departure date to keep the major freak-outs at bay.  Right now, the dream sustains and energizes me.

Jill - Jack and Jill Travel The World January 31, 2011 at 11:05 pm

How exciting. Do you knows know which country you’re heading out to first yet?

Kim February 1, 2011 at 7:38 am

Right now we are thinking that New Zealand will be our first stop… but that could change!

Mike Lenzen February 2, 2011 at 8:27 am

You guys are way a head of the game. We didn’t really get too serious a bout saving money and selling our belongings until the T minus 6 month mark. Now that we are at the 5 month mark, it’s a bit of a scramble.

I’m glad to hear that you are getting lots of support from your family. Our experience has been a bit more mixed, with half of our family giving full support and well wishes, and the other half begging us not to go.

Kim February 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Hey Mike! Thanks. I don’t feel ahead of the game, especially with this house-selling deal we’re about to get ourselves in to.

Sorry to hear that half your family is begging you to stay (but they love you, that’s why)! Do they live around you? Our families are across the country so they’ve already had to let us go. I’m sure that actually helps them be supportive, since they don’t see us all that often anyway.

Natalie - Turkish Travel February 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

11 months can seem like a long time but they can go so quickly. I hope you are adding Turkey on your list of places to see. It is a beautiful country.

Kim February 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Hi Natalie, yes, Turkey is on the list! I am very excited to visit, I have heard it is an amazing place.

margot April 15, 2011 at 2:47 am

I already made a similar comment, but your mention of towels reminded me of another area where you do not need to run out to buy “official” travel items. My favorite towel method is to take along a really thin sarong, which I use as a towel. But, it also doubles as what I lie on when I’m in a beach location and it can be a skirt or dress in a beach or casual environment, too.

Kim April 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

Hi Margot. I hear over and over again that a sarong is a must-have item. I’ll probably pick one up when we are on the road.